Sign in to follow this  
MAXIMUS POWERS

The Discrimination of Minorities in Somali Peninsula

I don't understand this whole censoring qabil thing, I wonder if I go to a kenyan forum, they'd have the words "turkana, rendile, borana, samburu, kikuye, Jaluo" censored. Unlikely.

Very moronic idea by the SOL admin. Why censor qabil names at all?

Originally posted by Emperor:
Marx, what clan are you from, in other words what is your qabiil?
:D
..... Just courious, you see its a traditional Somali way to know each other's clan, and in here most of us actually know what clan is everyone else, its you thats unknown, so bal tell us, Lool....

I thought i made my qabil clear a long time ago. I was born in Djenne, Mali but raised in Saylac, Somaliland. I am a tribe-less person with no allegiance to any qabil! I don’t think my qabil defines who i am ( a hint there!). It’s not important. In fact many of my closest friends and people in general dont know my qabil. I don’t tell them in case they try to categorise me! Contrary to many people perceptions on SOL, I speak almost flawless Somali with a standard accent! Although I prefer to communicate in my mother tongue (Bambara) when at home! Or many of the other languages I am fluent in: English, Somali, French and Bambara.

Speaking of censoring qabil names! Why are derogatory terms like 'MADIBAAN', '******' and and 'YIBIIR' allowed to be hurled around the forum like lethal bullets without been censored? There seems like there is a consensus on the treatment on these innocent and Somali people! Make Allah make their suffering easy and give them opportunities that allowed 'them' to move up the Social hierarchy in Somali and wherever 'they' inhibit!

How many of you would still love me if I was from ‘non-noble backgrounds’ or do you select people based on their social order and qabil name!

NASSIR   

The only minority group in Somalia are those of different ethnic background like Bantu, Baravani, etc. The ******** are ethnic Somali and can't be considered to be an ethnic minority but victims of mythical beliefs and ancient but primitive caste system. In this case, they are political and social minority and according to oral beliefs they were the possessors of a powerful Somali kingdom. After its dissolution by an alliance of other Somali clans, they were subjugated and forced to scatter on every corner. I think this period was in the pre-Islamic era.

NASSIR   

Originally posted by Qalbi-Adeyg:

I don't understand this whole censoring qabil thing, I wonder if I go to a kenyan forum, they'd have the words "turkana, rendile, borana, samburu, kikuye, Jaluo" censored. Unlikely.

Very moronic idea by the SOL admin. Why censor qabil names at all?

Qabiil is a cancer and should be avoided and censored. However it's normal to discuss in an informational and territorial aspect without attempting to trample on the rights of your fellow Somali. To be Somali is enough therefore the mention of tribal names erodes our national identity as has been and the more we identify with our respective clans than what unites and protects the nation from external harm.

The African tribes you listed are of different ethnic background with different language & beliefs.

All these years I thought the problem with Somalis was tribalism... now i realised its much more than that! its the strategic location of Somalia! its an awaking.... i might have to shift my political thinking!! but that does not mean tribalism is not a factor.. its plays a major part of the political landscape of Somalis!!

Believing in Qabiil is a disease almost all Somalis suffer from (yar iyo weyn) and the cure is Islam(live it, love it and breathe it and all else has no importance). But more importantly it is a disease that conformists, people with no tangible principles and little confidence, suffer from hence their pathetic need to know what "your qabiil is" so that they can categorize you and feel better about their pathetic state of being: “ Oh you’re reer hebel or qabiil so and so, well you’re not better than me because my ancestors were known to do so and so.” No nigga, what the fck have you done with your life? Where are you accomplishments in life? Forget about Awoowe hebel; he is dead!! They’re stuck and ready to draw blood.

Sheesh ppl. Lay off the qabiil. There is no such thing as “noble qabiils” or “less noble qabiils.” It boils my blood when people use those derogatory terms. I make a point to never associate with family members who constantly use these terms. I straight up tell them they should seek professional help for their mental disease (my poor mother suffers the consequences of my actions as in “gabadhaadu af adkaa subxaanallah. Xushmadi ayaa ka dhamaatay).