Sign in to follow this  
General Duke

History of Somalia: SOL new section....

I have always been interested in Somali history. By this I mean not the latest modern clan based nonsence but the past, when did we arrive in the scene, who are we and so on?

I knwo that there have been allot of posts concerning this topic, but is sit possible to put this as a seperate section, like our own encycopedia on Somaliaonline... I mean what we have is a very strong community here and a rich source of information... SOL-HISTORY section permenant entity.. Everyone can contribute, nothing divisive, no politics just history.

What do you guys think..? I know Suldanka, Ayoub, BN, LSK and even Juma are walking database[not to sure about Juma] :D . What about the girls??

So what do you think?????????

Good topic "duke"?

When I reflect upon somali history it it becomes clear to me that they are indeed an ancient people, They have to had an important part of history.

The Somalis are people of cushitic-caucasian origin. Though Somalis have interacted with the arabs for thousands years they are distant relatives of the arabs. The tales in somali mythology of an arab "shaykh" coming to somalia is simply not true. There might have existed arab minorities they fled to somalia and became part of the somali clan system. They infact became the clan system.

As I understood it, Somalis are cushitetes, Belonging to the greater term "hamites". Though this term have been disputed the name "cush" simply means the son noah's son had- that son name was "cush".

The ancient cushites were the founders of the egyptian civilisation, Before our cousins "semtites" son of sam conqouerd arabia the cushites were the inhabitants of southern arabia.

Please correct me if I'am wrong

^^^thanks, brother, I am interested in this. So what do you think of SOL HISTORY SECTION.

how should we go about it. I mean a perminent section will the baby face admin let us and give us the space necessary..

Duke...come closer, lemme whisper something in your ear... I've heard through the grapevine that wonderful things are gonna be happening on this site. Something very similar to your idea..not just history..but more . So be patient.

Khayr   

Salamz,

General Duke saxib,

I enjoy reading about somali history and all but saxib - how would you avoid naming 'clans' in an 'SOL HISTORY' forum?

On another note,

General Duke,

You got 3700+ posts on SOL.

Could that be an SOL record and 95% of those posts are in the politics section?

Saxib, shaqaadad maa 'JOURNALISM' baa! :D

Castro   

For a few hundred years, the history of Somalia was the history of tribes in Somalia. Unless we're going to name them with numbers, and as mentioned before, it is the policy of SOL to have no name of a clan or tribe to be mentioned. This constraint is in effect regardless of the situation the name is being used. In other words, there's no "educational" use of a clan name. On the other hand, what will the "sources" for this history be? One quick read in the politics section and you realize how disagreements on the simplest events (even recent ones) causes uproar. There's no recorded history of Somalia. Not even now is it being recorded.

If you're able to address these issues, it would be a positive addition to this site. Certainly more appropriate than a Men's section.

Rahima   

Somali history cannot be agreed upon, so expect a lot of garbage and faan.

I can imagine how it will end up. Every man expressing the greatness of their tribe (without the use of tribe names of course, these days waa la ilbaxay) and all their wonderful contributions to Somalia. It will probably just end up like the Politics section

Johnny B   

related ? hmmm , let me see ..

Aight .. here are few questions for ya to relate to me ..

• Did ur grand grand grand pa own Camels?
  • Did ur grand grand grand pa own more camels?
if u answer yes to one of the the questions?

Come and HUG me lost cousin :D

Originally posted by Jumatatu:

^^ R u guys looking for excuse to hug each other...
:D

Tis exactly why am against an all male Joint. First Comes hugs & then god knows whats next :D