Sign in to follow this  
KEYNAN22

This Barbarian Primitive Act Must Stop Now!!

KEYNAN22   

Man goes on trial in Sweden for having daughter circumcised.

AFP

June 14, 2006

STOCKHOLM -- A man went on trial in Sweden on Tuesday accused of forcing his 13-year-old daughter to undergo female circumcision, the first such case since a law banning the procedure went into effect in 1982, a Swedish court said.

The 41-year-old Somali man, who lived with his family in Sweden, allegedly took his daughter to Somalia in January 2005 where she was held down by two men while her clitoris was cut off, according to the charge sheet submitted to the Gothenburg district court.

"The trial opened today," Gothenburg district court clerk Ulla-Britt Bergen said, without disclosing either the name of the victim or the father.

The accused has denied the charges, arguing that someone else must have forced his daughter to have the operation, according to Swedish news agency TT.

"He is against female circumcision. He doesn't believe that his daughter should have been circumcised," the man's lawyer Eva Henrikson told the court, according to TT.

Female circumcision, traditionally seen as controlling female sexuality and making a girl more "marriageable," typically involves cutting off the clitoris and other parts of the genitalia in pre-pubescent and teenage girls.

Sweden banned female genital mutilation in 1982, but many immigrant families circumvented the law by having it done abroad.

The law was amended in 1999 to stipulate that parents could be charged in Sweden regardless of where the genital mutilation was carried out.

-Lily-   

I don't know all the fact but if he took his daughter on purpose to have her circumsticed, then he deserves what he gets. That should teach a lesson to all Somali parents, if you are not willing to protect your kids others will.

Janna   

For some odd reason Lily, I thought you would be pro-circumcision. :D I remember been exposed to gential mutilation at the age of 12. Reading desert flower book, asking mother what it meant.

Embarrassing moment. Why bring circumcision into a country that does not allow it?

The timing couldn’t have been worse for the trail to begin, the day after father’s day. After all that we know today… I personally think the Swedes should clearly deport this man to the states. He belongs to rot in Guantanamo bay for the rest of his life. Nacala washaK.

Maf Kees   

Originally posted by ALexus-:

:D
I remember been exposed to gential mutilation at the age of 12.

Bisinka iyo yaasiinka iyo aayadaha qur'aanka! Naayaa waad iga nixisee. I thought you meant something else till I read the following part about Waris Dirie's book.

Originally posted by checkmate:

I personally think the Swedes should clearly deport this man to the states. He belongs to rot in Guantanamo bay for the rest of his life. Nacala washaK.

Wat is dat gonna accomplish?

He should be punished for breaking the law, but educating these people will be only way to eridicate this practice.

Yo-Yo,

I’ll tell you what it will accomplish, life long lesson to reflect on what he has done to this pure innocent child’s life. This has nothing to do with education.. it has everything to do with morals, the right from wrong. He obviously chose do to what he did for selfish benefit.

what education is involved in cutting/shortening your son’s penis if that was ever the case? No education walaal....Same goes for daughters. The biggest law he broke is violating his daughters body and soul.

And sidee ku ogaadeeen? Believing some 'rumours' from beesha Soomaalida in Iswiidhan?

Ma gabadha ayaa dacwooday?

Or 'checking' her privacy parts at the spot, upon landing? I believe the latter, since it is by law now in that country to check any Soomaali girl who went to Carabaha with her guardians, not even to Soomaaliya per se.

Whatever happened to the 'ideal' civil liberties Scandinavian nations used to espouse. Two men can marry, but it is government's no business. Two married couple can swing as many as they want, yet not government's business. A little girl ayaa la guday, but this time dowlad shaqadeyda waaye inay soo faragishato.

Gudniin dhaqan laga tagay waaye, that no sane individual can condone, laakiin if the dowlada Iswiidhan keeps a blind eye on homesexuality, prostitution and other vile vices -- noo, they welcome and condone them by recognizing their marriages and acts for buying sex -- laakiinse it makes her business what should legally be a family's business, not government's.

But no, this is a minority group, with their 'alien' culture that should be eradicated, at least in Scandinavia.

And so goes the controlled racism.

Whatever happened to the 'ideal' civil liberties Scandinavian nations used to espouse. Two men can marry, but it is government's no business. Two married couple can swing as many as they want, yet not government's business. A little girl ayaa la guday, but this time dowlad shaqadeyda waaye inay soo faragishato.

Gudniin dhaqan laga tagay waaye, that no sane individual can condone, laakiin if the dowlada Iswiidhan keeps a blind eye on homesexuality, prostitution and other vile vices -- noo, they welcome and condone them by recognizing their marriages and acts for buying sex -- laakiinse it makes her business what should legally be a family's business, not government's.

MMA, the vices you mention are often between two consenting adults, unlike the mutilation of a child by her own family.

The victims of FGM are young girls and the family is always the culprit, so why in the world should it remain their business? Cultural relativity has been used to turn a blind eye to FGM for far too long.

There is a similar Law in the UK, however it hardly gets used, mainly due to lack of reporting. I'm glad Sweden is taking it so seriously.

The important thing is to protect children and parents who insist on inflicting FGM on their daughters need to be put behind bars for a very long time. They really don't deserve their kids.

Janna   

Originally posted by Maf Kees:

quote:Originally posted by ALexus-:

I remember been exposed to gential mutilation at the age of 12.

Bisinka iyo yaasiinka iyo aayadaha qur'aanka! Naayaa waad iga nixisee. I thought you meant something else till I read the following part about Waris Dirie's book.
War hus! bala ha kugu dhacdo jabta ha ku dhisho. You have disgusted me.

I'm having second thoughts about Somaliaonline.

Checkmate...Iam sure these parents love their kids. None of them wish their kids any harm. Many still indulge in this practice of simply that's norm in the culture they grew up. A lot of them sincerely believe that they are doing what's best for their daughters.Nobody brutalises their kid for no reason. It would be better to show these people that there is no benefit to this rather than handing down stiff sentences.

N mind you, majority of FGM victims are in Somalia/Elsewhere in Africa. i doubt that anybody would go to jail in Africa even legislations banning the practice were put into books. Eridicating ignorance through education will be more viable way of bringing about the elimination of this practice.

Maf Kees   

Originally posted by ALexus-:

War hus! bala ha kugu dhacdo jabta ha ku dhisho. You have disgusted me.

I'm having second thoughts about Somaliaonline.

I apologize if I went outta line. I'm sorry. Especially the N-word. That was uncalled for.

Nura   

Yo yo ma

I applaud you on your perspective….well presented…I couldn’t have put better myself