Sign in to follow this  
Muhammad

women locked in shed for 25 years

Muhammad   

A 43-year-old Indian woman has been rescued after being locked up by her family in a single room for more than a quarter of a century.

_40783834_lock.jpg

Her family members in the eastern Indian state of Orissa said she was mentally ill and had to be kept apart because of her "wild behaviour".

Annapurna Sahu was confined in an abandoned outhouse - only a few feet high and without proper flooring.

The family said she was not mistreated and was given food and water regularly.

Segregated

Eyewitnesses present during the rescue operation in the town of Dhenkanal, 100km (62 miles) from state capital, Bhubaneswar, said Ms Sahu was living in inhumane conditions.

She was reportedly naked when she was found.

_40783868_pol.jpg

The outhouse was only a few feet high

Her brother, Ganeswar Sahu, said she had to be segregated from the rest of the family after she started abusing others.

She had dug up the floor of her small room, her mother, Yashoda Sahu, said.

Following her rescue, Annapurna Sahu was taken to a hospital in Dhenkanal.

Surendra Mohanty, the doctor treating her, said she had shown signs of improvement since she was admitted. She would be given a detailed examination of her mental state on Saturday, the doctor said.

District magistrate, Usha Padhi, said Ms Sahu would later be shifted to a rehabilitation home.

The cost of her treatment would be paid by the district unit of the Red Cross, she said.

A counsellor from an NGO attending Ms Sahu said she showed no sign of mental illness, though she did appear weak and emaciated. Pallavi Nanda, of the Maharshi Dayananda Saraswati Service Mission, said Ms Sahu was taking food and was responding to questions normally.

juba   

how H O R R I B L E!! a quarter of a century! it reminds me of the girl who was strapped to the potty chair locked in her room for 14 years. :(

I remember seeing this documentary on the mentally ill in Africa and how they get treated, they tie them up in public and people harass them, or some cultures believe the mentally ill are possessed , so they chained them up in the jungle only bring food to them occasionally. Truly, this is an ignorant act – at least in Somalia the mentally ill aren’t being harassed or locked up, and yes there are many of them. A friend of mine who recently came back from there was telling he had this crazy guy chasing him throughout the town asking him for money, and the guy even threatened him to sh!t on their car --- was that guy crazy, maybe a hustling scheme, nonetheless, treating the mentally ill in inhumane manner is unacceptable.

Nazra   

Thats sooooo sad.

What's worse is... this somali gurl here is locked for 2yrs and a half, and she is 24 now. *It's just been confirmed.

Animal Farm, ask your parents what they did to somali women who went mentally ill in the civil war. Now thats really sad :( .

NGONGE   

This is why Somalis are always happy despite all the trials and tribulations. We have the memory of a goldfish. :D

The story of this Indian woman is pretty trivial really and not worth commenting on. Besides, they have not even investigated the reasons and truthfulness of her incarceration.

Come, come my fellow indignant Somalis. Never mind the Indians and their ‘despicable’ practises. Have a look at these pretty people:

mh-5.jpg

mh-1.jpg

mh-2.jpg

It's for their own good...

What's worse is... this somali gurl here is locked for 2yrs and a half, and she is 24 now. *It's just been confirmed.

How could that be worse? I'd rather have 2 years than 25. 2 years is nothing compared to a quarter of a century. You have plenty of time to rebuild and experience life at 24.

Oh yeah. How could I forget. Her life is more important because she is Somali. :rolleyes:

Here we go again (yes NG, its you I’m after), raining down on the poor souls of SOL. Dear, why are you comparing? Are my sympathies for other people in other countries mutually exclusive to what I feel about the dire situation in Somalia? I think not.

Miskiina @ The woman in question. Ilaahay ha u sahlo.

NGONGE   

^^^^As I stated already, the whole topic is pointless and not one I’d stoop to really discuss. However, I never hid my dislike for my fellow Somalis and their superior attitude. Whenever I see manifestations of such an attitude, I sadistically enjoy bringing them back to earth and throwing the mud in their faces. Now, stop trying to be so fair and reasonable here and join me in sneering at the following people who wrote these great gems (mutually exclusive, my dacas). :D

Aeronwen

Member: 178 posted September 12, 2005 04:11 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sickening.

liibaan

Member: 5258 posted September 12, 2005 05:38 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not surprised.This is India,after all...

Naku Penda Piya

Member: 3669 posted September 12, 2005 06:02 AM

Indians and their vicious customs

:D

The following deserves a quote of it's own:

Animal Farm

Member: 2186 posted September 12, 2005 06:11 AM

I remember seeing this documentary on the mentally ill in Africa and how they get treated, they tie them up in public and people harass them, or some cultures believe the mentally ill are possessed , so they chained them up in the jungle only bring food to them occasionally. Truly, this is an ignorant act –
at least in Somalia the mentally ill aren’t being harassed or locked up, and yes there are many of them
. A friend of mine who recently came back from there was telling he had this crazy guy chasing him throughout the town asking him for money, and the guy even threatened him to sh!t on their car --- was that guy crazy, maybe a hustling scheme,
nonetheless, treating the mentally ill in inhumane manner is unacceptable

Grrrrrr :mad:

Jamelia   

That is truly sad...I wouldn't be suprised if there were thousands similar cases around........

....During my summer stay in Hargeysa last year,,,,I saw mentally ill people in their birthday suits running around the town..Mind you it was only 2 I saw.......