Sign in to follow this  
NGONGE

Colour Blind!

NGONGE   

Just before I left work last night, I got a call from the Mrs.

'You need to go to Oxford Street' she said.

'Why?'

'You need to buy a pink shirt for your son'

'Has he been naughty? Don't you think this is a tad too much?'

'It's for the school. Everyone will wear pink tomorrow'.

'Why did you leave it to the last minute? You are going to disrupt my routine. I was looking forward to coming home and switching my brain off'.

'I did NOT leave it late. I looked everywhere but could not find a pink shirt for a boy of five'.

‘And you think I will?'

'Try. It's Oxford Street. We may have a chance'.

'How about if I get him pink socks?'

'How about you get him pink underwear?'

'Really?'

'NO! I am making fun of your socks comment'

'Fair enough'.

'Just look for a shirt or t shirt, or even a light coat in pink, ok'.

'Ok'.

So, I went to Oxford Street. I walked around Oxford Street. I walked into almost every shop in Oxford Street. No pink shirt.

The people working there either laughed or wanted to have a conversation about putting a boy in pink. An American lady in Mother Care gave me a lecture about the unreasonable demands of the schools these days and how someone should stand up to them. Another cheeky young girl asked me if I was trying to point my boy in a certain direction in life.

I finally got over my respect for Ibti and walked into a branch of M&S. They had a pink shirt. Very trendy pink denim with a black tie thrown in. I bought it and bought another purple shirt that I thought was pink (looking for pink turned me colour blind).

When I got home, the Mrs saw the shirts I got and made comments about both. 'One was NOT pink, it was purple' she mocked. 'The other is similar to the one my sister bought' she added.

Two hours of indulging in the worst pastime imaginable (shopping), and my well chosen choices got disparaged? Arrrgh.

This morning, as I was ready to walk the kids to School, the Mrs (leaving it to the last minute as usual) shouts 'Are you wearing anything pink?'

'No' I said.

'Well, you must. It is Wear Pink Day at the School and all the parents must wear something pink' she added.

'I am not going to wear pink, even if I owned any' I protested.

'You have that scarf with pink on it'

'But it's not even cold enough for a scarf'

'Just carry it with you and take it off later'

'NO'

'All the parents are going to wear pink'

'I don't care. I am going to drop the kids off and then I'll go to work. I'm not going to hang around'

'But you must'

'Why?'

'Do you want your kids to be the only ones with no parents there?'

'What does it matter if they are? It's not as if they'll become orphans or anything'

'Still. It's not nice'

'I am not wearing PINK. I am not sure I'm even happy with the fact that my son is wearing pink'

'It's ok. You go to work. I'll take them to school myself..even though I'll be late and stuff..' she added resignedly.

'Oh. It's emotional blackmail time, is it?'

'No. I understand your reluctance to wear pink and I'm saying just go. I'll deal with it'.

'Because you are a woman and it's ok to wear pink, right?' I asked hopefully.

'Right' said she, as she adjusted my son's tie without looking at me.

'Find me that scarf, you witch. I'll take them' I said as I gave her a look that I hoped would wound her.

After school, and just before going to the Tube Station, I threw the scarf in the rubbish bin. :D

wear_pink_promo.jpg

True, schools are too demanding these days, but they do give quite a bit of notice.

You are lucky it wasn't a 'Harry Potter' day or you would never have found a black cape and glasses in time.

Juxa   

as a father, the rule is whatever it takes (tut, tut, tut)

such a muranle about wearing pink scarf. it is actually fashionable to wear pink (albeit softer shades of pink)

Blessed   

LOL. Most teachers are female too. :D

I don't think schools demand too much. I hate parents who don't bother, the kids really do feel left out and the teacher is left to deal with it. :mad:

NGONGE   

^^ It was nonsense. We went. We stood around for a bit. They lined up to go to their classes. They went to their classes and I left. Was that worth a pink scarf? I mean that's what we do everyday anyway.

Typical women.

Blessed   

^Isn't the very essence of schooling about enforcing conformity?

These sort of things are an interesting way to raise awareness about a campaign.. I didn't know about this 'Stand Up for schools' campaign but goggled about it after reading this.. NG has done his part, even if reluctantly. Buwawahha!

Ms DD   

One thing is clear.. Ngonge waa raalliye :D . Succumbed to typical manipulation ..

Mrs Ngonge "Dont bother .. i will do it myself.."..

Ngonge "where is the pink scarf, i will wear it, as I'd find unbearable to make you disappointed with me"

NGONGE   

^^ It's the weekend, silly. I was planning to finally celebrate Eid and visiting a few chewing friends.

Blessed, so maha? That was my good deed for the day and I should not go to Juxa & Ibti's thing tonight, right? I mean what am I? Mother Teresa? :D

Blessed   

Now, now, NG. You're too old to be hiding behind ayeeyos abaaya.

MsDD,

She's got him wrapped.. laakin lama sheeg sheego! :D