Sign in to follow this  
Aaliyyah

Man stabbed, beheaded on Greyhound bus

Aaliyyah   

Man stabbed, beheaded on Greyhound bus

By The Canadian Press - July 31, 2008

Small text size Medium text size Large text size | Email to Friend | Print Story | Letter to the Editor | Share on Facebook

RCMP officers investigate a "major incident" that occured on a Greyhound bus Thursday morning, about 18 kilometres west of Portage La Prairie, Man.

by THE CANADIAN PRESS

PORTAGE LA PRAIRIE, Man. — Shocked passengers aboard a Greyhound bus in Manitoba said the attack was incomprehensible.

One moment, the quiet man near the back of the bus was minding his own business.

The man, believed to be in his 30s, hadn’t talked to anyone around him, and seemed to pay no attention to the younger fellow sitting next to him, who was listening to music on headphones.

The next moment, witnesses said, the older man stood up, still quiet, and repeatedly stabbed then beheaded his seat-mate with a large hunting knife.

“We heard this blood-curdling scream and turned around, and the guy was standing up, stabbing this guy repeatedly, like 40 or 50 times,” Garnet Caton said Thursday from a hotel in Brandon, Man., where he and other passengers had been taken to rest.

“There was no rage or anything. He was like a robot, stabbing the guy.”

Caton said the bus stopped and everyone scrambled to get out while the attacker started methodically carving up the victim’s body, not paying attention to anyone else.

Caton and the driver shut the bus door from the outside while they waited for police to arrive.

“We put our bodies up against the door, waiting for him to come out ... and he went back and brought the head to the front and pretty much displayed it ... and dropped it on the ground in front of us,” Caton said.

“All very calmly. He was wearing sunglasses. It was no big deal to him.”

Fellow passenger Cody Olmstead from Kentville, N.S., also recalled the chilling scene.

“The guy came to the front of the door with buddy’s head in his hands, decapitated. He dropped the head and went back and started cutting the body back up,” Olmstead told Brandon radio station CKLQ.

Both men said the attacker and the victim appeared not to know each other.

They said the attacker boarded the bus in Brandon Wednesday night. The victim, who Caton said appeared to be about 19, had been on the bus since Edmonton.

Police didn’t confirm details, saying only that a homicide occurred on the bus, which stopped about 15 kilometres west of Portage la Prairie.

One man was taken into custody after Mounties surrounded the vehicle.

Federal Public Safety Minister Stockwell Day said the full weight of the law must be brought to bear on the perpetrator.

“We want to make sure the process is followed as aggressively as possible, the full legal process ....” Day said from Levis, Que., where Conservative MPs are gathered for a summer planning session.

“This particular incident, as horrific as it is, is obviously extremely rare. Certainly the horrific nature of it is probably one-of-a-kind in Canadian history.”

Greyhound called the event tragic but isolated.

A company spokeswoman said bus travel is the safest mode of transportation, despite the fact bus stations do not have metal detectors and other security measures used at airports.

“Due to the rural nature of our network, airport-type security is not practical. It’s a very different type of system,” Abby Wambaugh said from Greyhound’s corporate offices in Texas.

Subhanalah, this is so Horrifying :(

^ I was listening to this .. this morning on my way to work and asking myself WTH where the other passengers doing when a man was being stabbed 50+ times and being slaughtered like a goat ?

its an isolated place the man had no gun , he could have easily been overpowered after the 1st or 2nd stab

me   

Heard that on the news. I am off to the tube now. Kii i eega waxa ku dhaca arka.

I was listening to this .. this morning on my way to work and asking myself WTH where the other passengers doing when a man was being stabbed 50+ times and being slaughtered like a goat ?

Something called naf, duqa. Naf waa macaantahay, duqa. Iyadaa ordeyso adoo ordin, same like indhaha isku xiraan adoo xiran markee wax ciid camal galayaan. It is natural part. But yea, especially ragga saarnaa baskaas inay saas u ordaan ma ahayn, ninka ku fiirsadaan. They could have done something, meesha filin ma'ahee until uu gowracaayo ku fiirsanayaan. God. Some media reports suggest now he even tried to taste the flesh, trying to eat ka wadaan.

Pucca   

*mental note: never travel by bus...EVER*

ps. i'd have run for dear life too aaliyah, i will automatically assume the man is dead after the first stab and save myself. Its not the nice thing to do but its the smart thing to do...best to limit the number of bodies to just one, right?

Faynuus   

Acuudu bilaahi. waa dadqal kaas taloow ma juudaanuu qabay.

Fulayiin dheh expecially ragga saarnaa.Doofaar ficil la aan loo cadaabaa ma maqasheen. istaaqfurualaah, laakiin those passengers were extremely timid, what if he went round to the next,who knew who could be next.

albaabkeey xirteen to wait for the police kulahaa:eek:

guyz learn som kong fu before its too late. Illahayna hana wada dhowro.

Miriam1   

Seriously from the description of the killer and the random nature of his act, I doubt anyone would play the hero!

ps. Was watching CNN this morning...and we made the headlines with this story...yay canada!

Another psychopath or person with Post traumatic Stress Syndrome. Maybe the music, the guy was listening to triggered the reaction. Still doesnt justify what he did and what the passengers didnt do. Audhubillah.

Kool_Kat   

Vincent Weiguang Li, 40, appeared before Judge Michel C*****er Tuesday in Portage La Prairie, Man. but was silent for virtually all of the hour-long proceeding.

He responded to most questions by shaking his head or nodding. But when C*****er asked if he wanted to speak to a lawyer, Li shook his head no and said, "Please kill me."

There was a gasp from people in the courtroom who heard the remark.

The judge then ordered a psychiatric evaluation for Li, who is charged with second-degree murder in the slaying of Tim McLean. That process will start Thursday.

As part of her submissions to secure the evaluation, Crown attorney Joyce Dalmyn revealed new details about the gruesome murder. According to a police report, officers found a plastic bag containing an ear, nose and part of mouth in the pocket of the accused.

Dalmyn also said that when officers confronted Li, he would only say: "I have to stay on the bus forever."

The attack occurred last Wednesday evening outside Portage La Prairie, which is located about 80 kilometres west of Winnipeg. Without any apparent provocation, Li allegedly began stabbing McLean, who had reportedly been dozing. Terrified passengers poured off the bus.

The accused then allegedly decapitated McLean and paraded around the bus with his head. Li is also accused of consuming parts of McLean's body during his subsequent four-hour standoff with police.

None of the allegations against Li have been proven in court and he still has not entered a plea to the charge against him. His next court appearance is scheduled for Sept. 8.

McLean's family and friends are shattered by the violent death suffered by their loved one.

People who knew Li, who was married and who came to Canada from China in 2004, say this level of violence is not something they would have ever expected from him.

However, there are suggestions that the accused had been showing evidence of mental health troubles in the period leading up to the attack.

Li sells computer

The day before McLean was murdered, Li was briefly seen in the small town of Erickson, Manitoba, where a 15-year-old boy said he bought a laptop computer from the man.

Darren Beatty told CTV Winnipeg Li was trying to sell the computer for $600, but Beatty talked him down to just $60. He also said the computer contained emails written in a Chinese language. Beatty used an Internet translator to read them, and one appeared to talk about the beauty of Canada, but also of apparent guilt Li felt for leaving his homeland years before.

Police have seized the computer as evidence.

In another development, Greyhound has ended an ad campaign that touted bus travel as being a worry-free experience.

The ad said, "There's a reason you've never heard of 'bus rage.'"

A company spokesperson said the company feels the year-long campaign is no longer appropriate, given the tragedy outside Portage La Prairie.

The campaign had officially ended before the July 30 killing of McLean, but some ads are still up, said Abby Wambaugh.

With reports from CTV Winnipeg's Caroline Barghout and Kelly Dehn, and files from The Canadian Press

Reading this gave me the chills...Acuudubilaah!

On the lack of passenger intervention - what this case highlights for me is the Ultimate Fuulaynimo in people today.

i remember on route to somalia couple years ago, in the play we had drunken somali man and a airsteward (another somali man) had fight and everyone else were either laughing or were in state of shock and awe. i was seating on near the window and had two sister adjacent to me. as the scuffle and ruffle ensued and moved next to us, with airsteward winning the fight and pushing the drunken guy towards the sisters. they turned to me for help crying out "if you belief in Allah, please stop them". i was the only one to get up and stop them fighting by separating them and pushing the airsteward of the drunken guy and ensuring they didn't pursuit each any further. although the swearing continued after a while they no longer fought.

i know the stories are not similar but until someone tries to stop the situations, we never know whether it would have worked or not.

how many of you could say without hesitation you'll interfere to stop a fight?

Subxanallah, what had overcome the man to do this?

Kool_Kat   

^Rambo qardada yaree hee! It is one thing to stop a fight, and a totally different ball game to try and stop a guy from decapitating another individual's head... :eek:

Koley any Faarax I know majahiisa baastada buu wax ka dayi lahaa! May be you're a Jamac... :D

Hahahaa Lol@jaamac and faarax.

'geesi hooyadii galmantay' was the warning i used to from family members.

i would like to think that i would have been brave enough to hit the guy on the head to knock him out whilst i pretended to scream and pass him by like the rest of the cowards who must have done.

but then again that is the best thing about hindsight

Som@li   

The other day, in Jaban, this guy with knife attacked people sitting for a coffee in Tokyo,killed and injured many, Noone could stop, as everyone was running away,The world is becoming full of cowards these days, maybe something to do with GE food.