Sign in to follow this  
Ibtisam

LayZie G: Putting the Burka issue to bed

Johnny B   

I really am not interested in engaging you today and on this thread ( as you've already used me as the " i-don't-engage-non-Muslims" ) SYMBOL,so breath steadily and stay away from my preferences woman-wise, be they goodlooking ones and naked or ugly and under Tent , as we both know that it did struck you more than once that the bearded Mullahs outside the Mosque after friday-prayers share my preference . icon_razz.gif

I know you're but open-minded, but it's kind of late pulling Norf's line( Women are free to wear what they want ) on us now, we're too sophisticated for that, the burden you carry is , to make the "Burka" Islamic, and hopefully come up with something more genuine and original than your huffy statement of " it fulfils the basic characteristics of a hijab", because , so does my mother's "garbasaar"( which you ironically should identify with), or/and the Indian "Sari".

NGONGE was right , you're but a wierd busybody . ;)

Ibtisam   

^^Johnny it is not a huffy statement, the conditions me and Lazy already agreed on, drawn from the translations she posted. And we already agreed that the garbasaar (providing it is it not see through and covers the hair (not starting from the shoulders) is also hijab.

So why pick on one form of hijab.

The Indian Sari does not count, the belly shows.

You and Lazy can never be "us" because wa complete different end of a different stick. At least me and her are holding the same damn stick.

P.s. Even if there was a direct command for the niqab in the quran on the first page and it was repeated five times, you argument will simple be, I don't believe in this book. So you are the weird opportunist busybody. This is a personal issues, at best it is a Muslim women issue. Why then do you feel you can give you 2cent or even try to say which type they can wear.

Cara.   

On the contrary Johnny, Ibti's position is the least busybody-like of you all!

Layzie seems to be all gung-ho for banning things (then let's ban ice cream since there are other sources of dietary calcium), Raamsade insisted he be "allowed" to march over to women to tell them off for their choice in attire, you seem to be entirely convinced that women only wear the burka if they are forced.

Ibti's saying live and let live. Is that really so hard for you all to grasp? :confused:

Freedom of choice is a right, regardless of what we think of peoples decision; It just gives me a headache that people who are against Taliban or Alshabab can then advocate for a ban.

:D:D:D so we've come full circle. Freedom of choice! ;)

Ibtisam   

^^^Yes, if I want pray 10times a day or wear a Burka it is my right to do so, give me the space and the freedom I need. Even if you don't believe that I should be praying so much or be in a mini dress.

Cara: My first language is not English, it takes a while for people to get my point. I think maybe even online, the niqab is stopping me from expressing myself clearly :D

For those of us who are Muslims know the basic consencus amongst all Muslim scholars is that a woman should cover her hair and her other body parts aside from her face, hands and feet.

How one implements that dress code is a matter of choice or more so which sect one follows and even the common culture is the society one belongs to will determine it.

Many a so-called Sheiks has expressed their opinions on the particular dress code their followers should wear ( men and women ) and pressure has ben put on women to chage their dress code rather being allowed to do it out of thier own occord : that is FACT (in Benitez Style )

Many anti-Islamists ( Muslims and non-Muslims ) are taking advantage of the veiws of the current ultra extremist to bash Islam and cause confusion within the Umma : that is FACT

Even the Refs ( the media ) on their side : that is FACT.

Naden   

In line with Ibtisam and Cara, how can anyone call for the banning of the burqa and yet scream for people to choose how they practice their faith and what they believe? Can't have your cake and eat it too.

Johnny B   

Ibti,

This is blackmailing, you'd to bring my soft spots(Cara&Naden) with you?! icon_razz.gif

Me & Layzie can't be "us" , but we(you&me) can?! icon_razz.gif

And hey, This is not a personal issue, and absolutely not a soley female-issue, in the sense that both Men ( Muslim or non-Muslim) and Women( Muslim or non-Muslim) disscuss it,i.e it is a social issue.

That you can hoover all the streets in east-london with your "burka" or naked butt is a choice you make was never the question, nor was it about my lack of belief regarding certain doctorines, again, the burden you carry is making the "burka" Islamic , preferably the Islamically prescribed garment,so Layzie can put the Burka issue to bed.

Cara,( can't address this girl without emotionally lashing-out)

Ibti, is doing the magic thing on you , concentrate on the ball.

It's true that i've dificulties accepting that a girl in her right mind would want to wrap herself with that thing on a summer day, but Ibti's stance is not live & let live , her stance is burka is Islamic so put the issue to bed. If she at the same breath granted that much support (which she'd ideally do) for the "garbasaar",we'd have no issue icon_razz.gif

Naden   

^ Hi Johnny :D If I told you that standing on my head for half an hour everyday is islamic because it helps me remember God better with the increased blood flow, would you argue with me otherwise?

The burqa is a silly garment but I think extremely useful in a dusty environment. It covers the hair and protects the face against the elements. I agree with Ibtisam, though, in that it falls within the very large margin of what a woman would consider modest wear. Is it islamic? I gather anything not explicitly warned against could be labeled islamic by the motivated.

Johnny B   

Hi Naden,

No i woulden't argue against that , but i'd the urge of liking to be there and SEE you do it. icon_razz.gif

muuuuuuuwah , long time no see. ;)

On this one i agree with Layzie, because as i understand it, she is taking Islam out of the Burka and not the other way around, hence she is right on the money as we know the Burka Islamic connotation that is shoved down the throats of many Somali girls who'd think , without it , they'd be 'gaal'.

Why i do disagree with Ibti, is that in my understanding she is gluing the Burka to Islam and wholly for the ehem ehem "wrong" motives, namely , that it is no-Muslims that (mostly) criticize it so i STICK to my sisters.

street-dentists.jpg

There you've a Burka paying a street-dentist vissit.

freedom of choice or group pressure, let's hope the human being under that thing is provided the knowledge of the relationship between her choice of dress and her Faith.

muuuuuuuwah ,nice seeing you typing again. ;)

Naden   

^ LOL, Johnny, you are trouble walahi but you know that I love ya' :D

I think that Layzie's assertion that it is not islamic can only be applied to herself. If Ibti believes from her understanding of the text that it is, then it is. For her, at least.

Personally, I put a burka in the same category as the hijab, niqab and jilbaab. They are all basically ethnic garbs of people in those regions. They serve cultural and environmental needs. People in most cultures that are exposed to harsh elements wear what could be considered modest islamic wear. I would sooner wear those lovely embroidered Nepalese shirts and skirts than bother with a Middle Eastern one.

My contention is that whether you and I (or Layzie) believe it to be non-Islamic applies only to us. Now, coercion either way is unacceptable. In the abstract, however, I will not concern myself with how anyone interprets their religious obligations and collects heaven tokens. The Quran gives wide strokes, the individual determines how they will get closer to the hopelessly vague act of submission as they understand it.