Sign in to follow this  
Caano Geel

lost for words

A new definition of surreal,

Trying to teach your mother to use youtube over a skype call while she's moaning at you for having made her loose the web-IQ test that she was in the middle of when you inconsiderately told her to click on the link you sent her!

There has to be a word a phrase, something for how i'm feeling right now!

btw apparently einstien *only* had an IQ of 170! Food for thought

I sympathize with you. I know the feeling. Mum really does my head in too. If it isnt, 'naa websitekaa noo gee... dee na tus waxa la sheegayo', its 'emailkeyka ii check'gare una jawaab so and so'. Worst of all is the 'e-mailkaas u forward'garee qofkaas iyo qofkaas iyo qofkaas' - this is in relation to ANY of those hadith/Quran e-mails.

And if I dont do it, I get reminded every single hour!

Waxa la i eegtaa markaan computerka isticmaalayo, especially if I seem to be doing something important!

I've actually given up on teaching mum to surf the net herself... because every 2 seconds baa la ii yeedhaa with some or the other Q. Usually because she clicks on adds and stuff and su'aalo aan ka jawaabi kareen baa la i weydiinaya. Then she insists on not sticking to the objective and going from site to another... coming up with loads of ideas... and making me implement them. Like the time she insisted I call up some charity and pay a donation!

* I hope I'm not coming across as trashing my mother, she is really a nice person - when not on the computer.

** The words you're looking for are 'insane frustration' Caano

serenity, i fully understand what you mean and i didnt think you were trashing.

I found a solution to most of the teaching problem, i'll share it with you my qaudruple pronged attack against 'komputerka', may be you wanna try it

1) i bought her a laptop, (very very important)

2) installed all the virus/ spam/ adware/ adblockers/ firewall/ backup/ restore/ autostart /autoshutdown and u name it software i could find as well as all the software she'll ever need (luckily she treasures her laptop so i can be certain it will be the best treated object in her house - she's even named it!)

3) got rid of internet explorerd, and configured her an update process to scan everything twice at 8pm every night with the express instruction the laptop is on and online that time everynight (she follows it religiously)

4) taught her how to use the mouse button (now that was fun, lotts of 'weee' and 'ooooh i missed again' followed by a roar of laughter as it took her a full 5 mins to line up the arrow on her first go with the little mouse button - her machine has no touchpad) and gave a crash course on how to reset her computer back to a safe state if a disaster happens from a live cd.

Then i told her to attempt to break it as i got out of there as fast as possible. And once there was no else to do it, mum was faaasst - luckily she's heard of Nigerian scammers from a friend of hers, doesn't need any body mods, and is too attached to her purse strings, so we're safe from her spammers.

the problem comes when we try to explain something .. we should just stop doing that.

I mean there NO somali worlds for why the youtube video is so slow when 10 other things are running and your on the other end of a skype call trying to find the right somali words for 'try the slider bar and maybe pausing it a bit to let video buffer.' it was as funny as it was frustrating.

We gave up on the 'waryaa my camera is not working' session until my next flight!

Luckily i haven't had to implement business plans (YET), but really people we need a somali vocab for this stuff -

Zafir   

^LOL@youtwo. Luckily I don't have those frustrating issues to deal with, my problem lays in forwarding emails from my mother. She forwards every single junckmail she gets, and the ones that say "send this email to ten people and bad luck won't befall you" have high priority.

Ps: Caano, address bar= meesha guruga ku sawiran yahay agteeda. Sidebar= geedka kor iyo hoos u carara.

Cara.   

2) installed all the virus/ spam/ adware/ adblockers/ firewall/ backup/ restore/ autostart /autoshutdown

You forgot a little nozzle that sprays her with water if she presses the wrong button.

Originally posted by Cara:

quote:2) installed all the virus/ spam/ adware/ adblockers/ firewall/ backup/ restore/ autostart /autoshutdown

You forgot a little nozzle that sprays her with water if she presses the wrong button.
Now cara, first of all put those nails away, good. Its obvious that you weekends haven't been turned into a ' family and everyone they know' round-robin of fix my computer. These are necessary precautions woman!

NGONGE   

^^ :D

I think all three people (above Cara) are telling fibs. Why is it that none of your mothers moaned about not being able to load up the BBC Somali website? :D

-Lily-   

My mum makes us tune in the BBC for her once in a while when someone tells her this and that happened and also to check her bank statements and balances online. She always promises to learn but no results yet. This does not bother me, what bothers me is that she is a threat to my make up, shoes, bags and scarf’s. The more I buy for her the more she gives it away or it walks away. Oh well, mothers, what can you do?

My dad on the other hand is a wiz on the net.

Ms DD   

Me telling mom about the muxaadarrooyin on paltalk. Her asking me 'switch on the muxaadarro'. Me downloading Paltalk. Her enjoying the muxaadarro. Sister deleting Paltalk as it slows down her connection. Mommy dearest once again asking me to switch on the muxaadarro. Me doing this all over again. Sister doing her best to clean up her laptop!

A nightmare!

Buuxo   

loool i have been there too. It was really tedious work but once we taught my mum how to load the somali news sites. We were set,but now i don't only have to compete for the computer with my siblings but my mum also. And she has to be on it at least three hours, i dont get it why she has to visit at least 4 somali new sites to read about one incident ahhhhhhh frustration i tell ya. she does the same thing when watching the news on tv( 3 channels). That's why i don't bother watching the news/ reading newpapers my mum is walking headlines.

Caano, adiga waxaad ka cabaadee Q&A session while she is @home. Waligaa hooyadaa officekaaga makaa soo wacday, after calling you several times during your work hours on ya cell and you know you didn't pick up because "YOU ARE @WORK" go figure. I trouble shoot with her at home, at work, anytime.

Even the other day, she called me to ask, ok, why the files she backed up in her USB driver didn't save and how all her folders are empty and she wants to know how that happened.

Now that I think about it, she has come far from few yrs ago, if she encounters an error, she always asks me. Hey, when my hooyo is downloading her own solitaire games online(after her free one expires), thats when I know I did good.

Khayr   

Originally posted by NGONGE:

^^
:D

I think all three people (above Cara) are telling fibs. Why is it that none of your mothers moaned about not being able to load up the BBC Somali website?
:D

On Family Feud game show, had they interviewed 100 somalis on that issue, Ngogne's response would be #1-BBC Somalia innogay!

Cara.   

Originally posted by Caano Geel:

quote:

Originally posted by Cara:

quote:

2) installed all the virus/ spam/ adware/ adblockers/ firewall/ backup/ restore/ autostart /autoshutdown

Now cara, first of all put those nails away, good. Its obvious that you weekends haven't been turned into a ' family and everyone they know' round-robin of fix my computer. These are necessary precautions woman!
I'm sure they are.

ksm0529l.jpg