Sign in to follow this  
Peplow throb

war

At least six people were killed and more than 30 injured when rival Somali clans clashed over land on the outskirts of Hargeysa, the capital of the self-declared republic of Somaliland.

The fighting, which erupted on Saturday, pitted the Arab sub-clan against the Eidagale, both of whom live in Dumbuluq estate. Residents said it started over the disputed construction of a building.

Both sides used heavy machine guns and overwhelmed policemen who had been sent in to restore order. The army was eventually called in after six shops had been burned and properties looted.

At least six bodies were lying at the Hargeysa general hospital morgue on Saturday evening, including those of two women and a child.

Ismail Adan Osman, the interior minister, told reporters that 19 policemen were amongst those injured.

Somaliland President Dahir Riyale Kahin called an emergency meeting of his cabinet and appointed a six-man committee to mediate between the two sides, according to a statement from his office.

N.O.R.F   

Allah yarxamu to the deceased, Sad indeed, the double selling of lands is now common place and anyone hoping to buy should first make sure the land actually belongs to the seller. Where were the land registry dept?

J.Lee   

Laa xowla walaa quwata ilaa bilaahil cadiim!

Ilaahay ha u naxariisto especially those, if any, that were caught in between the crossfire.

Then: depletion of biomass.

Now: we fight and kill over land which doesn't belong to us.

cajiib.

Khayr   

Originally posted by Northerner:

Allah yarxamu to the deceased, Sad indeed, the double selling of lands is now common place and anyone hoping to buy should first make sure the land actually belongs to the seller. Where were the land registry dept?

Salamz,

This could easily escalate into a tribal rivalry in no time, so I think that Mediating the problem ASAP to prevent 'gossiping' and 'furhter bloodshed' is good idea.

Land registery department would be a good idea, there might be one there already, who knows?

Fi Amanillah

N.O.R.F   

An NGO recently started registering lands that are 'known' to be owned. Not sure exactly what the score is with disputed lands.

This raises the question: Should people be fully entitled to lands they left during the war which has been occupied by others? If you have been living in the west with land back home which is occupied and looked after by its new occupants over the past 15-20 years, should they be entitled to some of that land?

^^that's the same arguments squatters use.

I don't agree, property is property. You should be able to leave your house for a decade and still have it when you return. Especially since you've left it in circumstances of war. Unless owner cannot be found or verified to be alive, in that case the state ought to take it and recompense the owner once they're found.

However, if the care of the current occupiers has somehow directly increased the value of the land, maybe they are entitled either a compensation or some of the land, especially if to all purposes the land seemed abandoned.

That's only fair, right?

Khayr   

An NGO recently started registering lands that are 'known' to be owned. Not sure exactly what the score is with disputed lands.

This raises the question: Should people be fully entitled to lands they left during the war which has been occupied by others? If you have been living in the west with land back home which is occupied and looked after by its new occupants over the past 15-20 years, should they be entitled to some of that land?

sALAMZ,

GOOD question and it is a fiqh issue of which i don't know about. Maybe some nomads can help us out on this.

Should there be Shares btwn land Owner and Occupant in the house/land especially when the owner of that land/house did not pay taxes, maintain the home etc. for several years and all those responsibilities rested on the shoulder of the Occupant?

N.O.R.F   

However, if the care of the current occupiers has somehow directly increased the value of the land, maybe they are entitled either a compensation or some of the land, especially if to all purposes the land seemed abandoned.

That's only fair, right?

Not sure about taxes but the general up-keep of lands belonging to someone in a better environment only for that person to come back and instruct the new occupier to leave without any compensation is a little iffy. But then what is meant by up-keep?

GOOD question and it is a fiqh issue of which i don't know about. Maybe some nomads can help us out on this

True

^ Occupants of houses left behind dont pay RENT to live in those properties. Therefore, any upkeep or improvements can be considered the rent they were supposed to pay for living in some1's else's property, noh? And once the real owner comes back, they should just hand it over.

N.O.R.F   

^^Is living in the property/land not considered as up-keep? They may be primarily maintaining the property/land for their own use but upon return one should consider compensation, its only right,,,,,,

STOIC   

This past weekend I went to my little Somaliland coffee shop politicking center. I was appalled to learn how far people can eschew the facts of news ! The two sub-clan members were all trying to defend their sub-clan side. The story as I heard is about a rich dude who bought a land under the old mayor authority. The people who lived in the neighborhood did not wanted to evacuate the land. A cursory examination of any of the Somalis problem could lead you to believe everything is cool until you cross the line of my tribe and that the fact doesn’t matter as long as it is against my clan.Events like this reinforces my hopeless perspective of Somali Politiks.

Castro   

^ Atheer you're a decent man born into a people who have the best of both worlds: all that is wrong with muslims and all that is wrong with tribalism. Keep your sanity and stay away.

Maf Kees   

^^Is living in the property/land not considered as up-keep? They may be primarily maintaining the property/land for their own use but upon return one should consider compensation, its only right,,,,,,

The compensation for 'maintaining' the property is to be friendly asked to leave the property when the owner reclaims it instead of getting kicked out by the police. Consider the owner as a landlord. Why would he pay you for something you did for yourself?

This incident in a peaceful city such as Hargeisa leads me to fear what Mogadishu has in store for us in the future. It doesn't look good. It doesn't look good at all.

N.O.R.F   

The compensation for 'maintaining' the property is to be friendly asked to leave the property when the owner reclaims it instead of getting kicked out by the police. Consider the owner as a landlord. Why would he pay you for something you did for yourself?

Doing it it for ones self or not, the 'maintenance' occured to the advantage of the owner, thus some sort of comp is only fair but not a leglity. I'm questioning whether this should be made a legal issue.

STOIC, stay away from the makhaayad or maqaaxi (as rear Hargaisa would say) and keep your sanity intact.

STOIC   

^^^Waxaan layaabay qabyalada iyo naxliga iyo fitmo aburka mesha taloo.Iyagon warka aad udhuxiin bey afka tagayaan :mad: