Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

UN HIV Map

Some of it doesn't look right. Not sure where they are getting their stats from. I thought most countries submit their own figures but for Somalia I am guessing they take what the NGOs have recorded?

Saalax   

What a misinformed map are they saying somalia has more HIV rate then India? and what's up with russia why is it so high.

For sure this is map is a gues work. I personally believe that HIV rate in Somalia is probably higher more than ever because of all these fusuq thigs reached every village in Somalia, plus the HIV-infested ethiopians comeing for work everywhere in Somalia and actively distributing it, and dont forget those HIV-infected somalis abroad going back to Somalia for marriage :rolleyes:

SeeKer   

^^Maybe you should advocate for safe sex practices in those areas. Ultimately it is up to individuals to protect themselves.

As for the Somalis in Qurbo, blood testing should be a prerequisite of marriage in Mosques and/or courthouses.

The numbers might not look right, but most stats in war torn countries, without a health-care infrastructure, are collected postmortem.

SeeKer   

^ Care to translate it for some of us who haven't memorized the text. I am so sure it has something to do with the HIV epidemic :cool:

Polanyi   

^^ It's the warning to stay away from zina as it it as a great evil....path. NGOS will probably see this as an oudated way of combating hiv.................

ps. there is no way somalia can have more hiv than india.

SeeKer   

^Lol........you beat me to the punch. Amazing the narrow focus people have to HIV/AIDS its no wonder the numbers will keep increasing :(

Originally posted by Karl_Polanyi:

. NGOS will probably see this as an oudated way of combating hiv.................

Excuse me for saying this but thats a load of crock! :D

NGOs preach ABC whereby the first letter A stands for abstinence , but since we live in the real world where people think with their anatomical parts instead of brains (most of the time) perhaps giving a safe alternative doesn't necessarily mean go out and s!rew everything that walks by.

Maaddeey   

^You are right dear, this is how it works,-in South Somalia at least-; Don't do it or u'll be stoned to death or be Karbaash'd. True, they only think with their anatomical parts.

Ibtisam   

0.5 for Somalia is NOT high, in fact it is really low considering Kenya is 7.5 (ish) and the Ethiopians 2.8. (strange I always assumed it was the other way around with those two countries)

In any case I think considering the lack of state, health service, control and multiple wife practise, the rate is quite slow. I know in some areas, the numbers are slightly more higher.

SeeKer   

Maaddeey, I am sure theoretically that is what the governing entity wants people to believe but I doubt practically if its actually adhered to. Allahu Ya3lam smile.gif

ElPunto   

Originally posted by SeeKer:

^Lol........you beat me to the punch. Amazing the narrow focus people have to HIV/AIDS its no wonder the numbers will keep increasing
:(

quote:

Originally posted by Karl_Polanyi:

. NGOS will probably see this as an oudated way of combating hiv.................

Excuse me for saying this but thats a load of crock!
:D

NGOs preach
ABC
whereby the first letter
A stands for abstinence
, but since we live in the real world where people think with their anatomical parts instead of brains
(most of the time)
perhaps giving a safe alternative doesn't necessarily mean go out and s!rew everything that walks by.
The reason poor countries with little education and health infrastructure like Egypt and Yemen are able to have very low HIV rates is mostly because the number of sexual partners per person is not as high as many parts of sub-saharan Africa. And the reason for that is Islam. While I'm not opposed to having condoms available - there would be little need in Muslim countries for the whole ABC program - if most people adhered to the tenets of their religion.

The stats for Somalia are wrong. The way these NGOs measure HIV rates is they go to prenatal clinics and take blood samples from the ladies about to give birth. And since Somalis are 60% nomadic not to mention that prenatal clinics are few and far between - the stats are all but meaningless. But you have to pretend to know what you're talking about to continue to receive funding.

From the Washington Post:

JOHANNESBURG, Nov. 19 -- The United Nations' top AIDS scientists plan to acknowledge this week that they have long overestimated both the size and the course of the epidemic, which they now believe has been slowing for nearly a decade, according to U.N. documents prepared for the announcement.

The latest estimates, due to be released publicly Tuesday, put the number of annual new HIV infections at 2.5 million, a cut of more than 40 percent from last year's estimate, documents show. The worldwide total of people infected with HIV -- estimated a year ago at nearly 40 million and rising -- now will be reported as 33 million.

There was a tendency toward alarmism, and that fit perhaps a certain fundraising agenda," said Helen Epstein, author of "The Invisible Cure: Africa, the West, and the Fight Against AIDS." "I hope these new numbers will help refocus the response in a more pragmatic way."

Among the reasons for the overestimate is methodology; U.N. officials traditionally based their national HIV estimates on infection rates among pregnant women receiving prenatal care. As a group, such women were younger, more urban, wealthier and likely to be more sexually active than populations as a whole, according to recent studies.

Link