Sign in to follow this  
Caano Geel

and yet another Somali teen charged with muder

Boy guilty of footballer murder

A teenager has been convicted of murdering a schoolboy footballer by stabbing him in the heart.

_42208338_kiyan203x300.jpg

Kiyan was a striker for QPR's youth team

Kiyan Prince, 15, was killed by Hannad Hasan when he intervened in a mock fight outside the London Academy school in Edgware, north London, in May 2006.

_42453416_hasan_203.jpg

Hannad Hasan stabbed Kiyan Prince with a penknife

Hasan, 17, of Colindale, north London, admitted manslaughter but denied murder, claiming it was an accident.

It was the third trial in the case - jurors could not reach a verdict in the first and the retrial collapsed.

Hasan was remanded in custody until 27 July when he will be sentenced.

Following the verdict Kiyan's father Mark Prince thanked the jurors for "eventually coming to a decision".

"People don't recognise that a knock on effect that happens when someone is ripped from your life in the way that Kiyan was taken from our family... everyone gets affected in a deep and devastating way," he said.

Mr Prince said the family would start a campaign to reduce gun and knife crime.

Jasvant Narwal, spokesperson for the Crown Prosecution Service, said: "Knives, including penknives, are not toys and we the CPS prosecute for murder as we have done in this case as we would if a gun had been used."

Jurors heard how Kiyan, a striker for QPR's youth team, had stepped in when a friend became involved in a play fight with Hasan, who was then 16.

Hasan turned on Kiyan, putting him in a headlock before stabbing him with a penknife.

Hasan later told police he had been trying to scratch Kiyan in the arm, "but it went deep in... cos I never used a knife before".

It has emerged that the first retrial was abandoned two days after the jury retired, because Kiyan's distraught father approached a woman juror on her way home.

Away from the jury, lawyers revealed that Hasan had been excluded from his school six days before the attack on Kiyan for assaulting pupils and urinating in front of a teacher.

Less than two weeks before the stabbing, he had allegedly threatened to stab a girl during a trivial dispute over a bus seat.

He disputed this allegation, and charges were never brought.

The judge, Mr Justice Wilkie, criticised a "catastrophic" failure by the prosecution to give the defence sufficient notice of evidence it wanted to submit.

He said this failure meant the jury was never told about his previous violent outbursts.

In a statement the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said it could not rely solely on the bad character of the defendant to prove the charge.

The CPS and the Metropolitan Police have launched a joint review to identify any shortcomings and take steps to rectify them.

Speaking after the verdict, Det Ch Insp Alistair Tully said the prosecution team felt murder was the appropriate charge.

"The verdict should be a clear message to all those young men and women who choose to carry and use weapons of the consequences of their actions," he said.

source

Fabregas   

The only reason you use the term "yet another" is because this is a high profile case. The handful of Somali teenagers convicted of murders is far far less than any other ethnic group. Furthermore, the amount of Somalis killed by other ethnicities, in particular Afro carribeans again outweighs the number of Somali youths that have killed......

Malika   

Its heartbreaking,I try so hard to explain to the kids in my school of the consequencies of carrying a knife around.

Malika   

Now the face of Hanad is going to haunt me,the thoughts of what awaits for him in Jail is just unimaginable.

Hasan had been excluded from his school six days before the attack on Kiyan for assaulting pupils and urinating in front of a teacher.

Aye, his ilk are numerous (although declining), hopefully this may be a lesson to the others.

I think this is only the second high profile case in the UK, but nevertheless there are thousands of young Somali men and women in British prisons.

This is a matter of the gravest concern for the Somali community in the UK, unfortunately there is no unifying agency which has the capability of representing the community in such serious social matters.

Kool_Kat   

Walee caruurtaan weyka siidarooyaan...No matter where they are, in UK, Canada, USA, and all around the world...

I always feel bad for their mothers and family...

Allaha u fududeeyo isga iyo family kiisaba...

Som@li   

_42208338_kiyan203x300.jpg

A talent wasted, and put to end by this criminal! All thse kids should be taken off the streets, they deserve to be returned back home, to put to a test, if they can survive!

Malika   

I am not trying to excuse the bad behaviour of our youth,but there is an undelying problem and from my observations and interaction with young Somali men has always been the lack of parental control and involvement in these young peoples lives.

In order for a young man to sucessed in this country or any other western country,there must be a greater parental involvement in their daily lives,especially in their educational process.

The lack of guidance incooperate a sense of bewilderment in these young men,not having a continuity of parental involvement as they grow older and are faced with many difficult challenges.

These young men I come across are not equiped to deal with the extreme and often violent reaction they receive from their counterparts in schools.Dealing daily with racism,povery,difficult home lives[high level single parent house hold],depression within the families and also many that I know are here with extended families whom really arent meeting these young peoples needs.

Lack of high expactation,committment and dedicatin in the betterment of these young people by parents and those whom care for them and also the lack of understanding from the education authorities contribute hugely.

All in all, i see too many little faraax crying for someone to extend,help and guide them to the right direction.

I am not making an excuse for them to take personal responsibility for their own lives,but believe me as a child one needs great assistant in this.

N.O.R.F   

^^Its a new culture they have adopted ie gang culture. Kids are more secure with their gang than with their families. Sad but true.

Kool_Kat   

MUNIRA, I agree with you a 110%...More parental involvement/guidance makes a world's deference to a young adult...However, in most cases it is a single parent, usually a mother...And in our Somali society, it is not like there are two or three kids in a family...

I see mothers here with five or six kids, ranging from 2yrs up to 16/17yrs...So how could one parent attend to all five or six kids...It is really difficult...Most single mothers don't get support from the children's father...

Every young boy needs his father to be there for him, support him, talk to him...Fathers are the role models for their kids, specially the boys...So if the father is working 12 or 13hrs a day, chewing JAAD the days he is off, does not make him a father...As they say "hal far food madhaqdo"...Every kid needs both parents (provided they are both alive)in his/her life...