Sign in to follow this  
NGONGE

Eye for an eye: Plea to Saudi king seeking pardon for Keralite

NGONGE   

New Delhi, Dec 7. (UNI): The Government has taken up with the Saudi Arabian authorities the issue of clemency for an Indian national who faced gouging out of his eye as ordered by a local court there, the Rajya Sabha was assured today.

Minister of State for External Afairs E Ahamed, responding to the concern expressed by members in this regard, said the Indian Embassy in Riyadh had petitioned Saudi King Abdullah bin Abdul Aziz bin Saud to pardon Indian national Abdul Lateef Naushad whose eye had been ordered to be gouged out by the Dammam court.

Giving details, the Minister said on April 1, 2003, Naushad was involved in a dispute with a Saudi national in which the latter's eye was hurt - subsequently, he lost his sight.

The Dammam Court ordered the gouging out of Naushad's right eye in line with the principle of "an eye for an eye'", Mr Ahamed informed.

The matter had engaged the attention of the Government which had also petiitioned the respective courts in Dammam and Riyadh, the Minister said.

Earlier, several members, including Messrs NK Premachandran (RSP), SS Ahluwalia (BJP), and V Narayansamy, PJ Kurien and Vayalar Ravi (all Cong), raised the issue by way of a Special Mention.

Source

-----------------------------------------

Castro   

^ What would be an equivalent jail term for gouging an eye? 10 years? It's assualt, right? So this Indian dude would be free to go once his eye is 'surgically' removed? What kind of doctor would volunteer for this?

I'd rather lose an eye and return home than spend 10 years in a Saudi jail.

Katrina   

If he was a fellow national what would the punishment be?

It depends on his class status. If he's higher up on the hierarchy then maybe a slap on the hand and a mighty fine. If he's on the bottom of the totem pole then I'm guessing jail time. The above is just an opinion.

Who really knows its the Indian guys fault the national suffered injury to his eye? Armuu accident aheed and its just an excuse to take revenge? Miskiinmeenta are taken advantage of regularly.

:(

Haashim   

It depends on his class status. If he's higher up on the hierarchy then maybe a slap on the hand and a mighty fine. If he's on the bottom of the totem pole then I'm guessing jail time. The above is just an opinion.

He couldn't be bottom since there is no dispute between layman and Amir/Sheikh in those countries unless the bottom is crazy or to be someone who wrote his will :(

Katrina   

or to be someone who wrote his will

Your right there are not many disputes btwn laymen and amirs but I don't exactly understand "someone who wrote his will", do you mean this 'someone' has a death wish?

My bottom was referring to the poor citzens who live in the ghetto's of KSA and do anything such as selling Kleenex boxs on traffic intersections under the glazing sun to make a buck. We should all be grateful.

Yeniceri   

An eye for an eye, literally. Did you guys see that?

Strangest, "lawful" things do come out of that desert kingdom (only Allah SWT is King). I'm not surprised.