Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

Being a Muslim

N.O.R.F   

Being a Muslim

By Jawdeh Wazwaz

Being a Muslim means to always smile, no matter how difficult life gets, for it will last a while

It means greeting people of all ethnicities and races, with a salutation of peace, smiling at all faces

It means helping the elderly, and the one in need, and to give in charity, not to be overcome by greed

It means, to desire perfection, in piety and gratitude. Always be humble and not have an attitude

It means to obey your parents, not to raise your voice in their sight, and to walk away if someone wants to fight

So am I a Muslim by action, or a Muslim by name, the first is a believer and the other is a shame

I must never become arrogant, boastful, or proud, nor utter silly words, or speak loud

I must respect all Christians, regardless of their behavior, even though we say Jesus wasn't a savior

I can't transgress in the earth, I know right from wrong, so I better correct my past, I won't live too long

Before I'm 6 feet under, and taking nothing with me but my deeds, no more things to worry about, no more needs

As I face my Lord, did I really prepare for that day, from the way I lived my life, it seems I was astray

So even as a Muslim, I will be punished for my sins if I fail, by going to hell, which ain't nothing like jail

So I'm not special for being a Muslim at all, if my actions are on the down fall

If people don't see Islam in my actions, then what do I have to propose, nothing good in my image, which people oppose

So I stand up in prayer, asking God to give me His light, to walk humbly on earth, and to make things right

God created us weak, and in distress, so we can always turn to Him when our life is a mess

God created us to worship Him, not that He is in need, nor will He ever be in need for us, for were only a seed

God taught us the way we should compose our life, to live in harmony and not cause strife

He taught us our purpose and gave us direction; He is tired of hearing everyone's objection

Thinking that we can develop better standards of living than our Lord, if you live life this way, you won't get a reward

So I better stop hurting people, God even counts a woman's tears, while many other people remain in fear

Fear of dying with no shelter, nor food, many more are depressed, in a delusional mood

So I must extend a helping hand to establish goodness to humanity, because too many people are living in insanity

If someone wrongs me, must I retaliate and fight, can I just forgive them, if I have the light

The light of Allah that He gives to whom He please, the only one who gets it are those who bow on their knees

To acknowledge to the creator, that you are indebted to His service, to not get caught up in life, always feeling nervous

The world wasn't made just for me, we all have a share in its joys and sorrow, so let's focus on today, for nothings promised tomorrow

So a Muslim who preaches the message must resemble goodness and piety, and to acknowledge there is only one Deity

His name is Allah., He is the One and Only, if you don't worship Him, you will remain lonely

He is the One who brings life to what was dead, so calling on Him at night, while you lay in bed

And thank Him, o Muslims, for all of His gifts, for if you remain ungrateful, His punishment is swift

God put us in this world to see how we react, but we failed many times, that's a fact.

N.O.R.F   

By Jawdeh Wazwaz

Being a Muslim means being grateful for your health, nothing can replace it, not even all the wealth

It means to fear Allah, night and day, and to always reflect, one day you'll perish away

It means to pray qiyam il layl, out of love and desire, doing that for Allah will raise your iman much higher

It means to not even say one harsh word to your father and mother, to honor your sisters and even your brothers

It means to believe without doubt in the unseen, and to thank Allah for this glorious deen

It means to establish the prayer 5 times a day, the key to heaven, there's no other way

It means to spend from your wealth to those who live on the streets, who have no place to live, who are called dead beats

It means to honor all the prophets, and imitate their deeds, respect their accomplishments, and follow their lead

It means to excel in learning Islamic knowledge, for the sake of Allah, and to convey it with humility, for it belongs to Allah

We don't benefit Islam by being Muslims, but it is Islam that elevates the soul, it gives us our sense of purpose, our ultimate goal

It means to treat your neighbor with love, as if related to you by blood, for both of us came straight from mud

It means to honor women by lowering our gaze in their sight, and recite D'uaa in the middle of the night

It means to glorify Allah, and praise him year after year, and to always know His Judgment is near

It means to go to the Mosque, and thank God for the Nur He gave you, to keep begging Him to guide you and eventually save you

From the punishment of the fire, and the punishment of the grave, so keep walking with reflection or you won't be saved

Islam, what a beauty, what does it do to a person, it relieves him from stress, so he can stop cursing

Islam calls us to piety, to worship one deity, which would help us relieve our anxiety

Islam is a reward, not a punishment or pain, so read the Koran with reflection, or you'll be inhumane

Being a servant of God is the most precious role, it takes you out of darkness, nourishes your soul

What more can you ask for, than having contentment, but when you ignore God, you'll feel resentment

Should I oppress Jews and Christians and every other faith, does the Koran allow me to have such hate?

Does Islam allow me to cheat people from what's rightfully theirs, and if I steal, is that Islamically fair?

Does Islam order Muslims to convert people out of force, to know the answer, you must read it's source

It's called the Holy Koran, a book so divine, yet Most Non-Muslims never gave it any time

To examine its teachings, with an open mind and heart, but instead they attack it, and rip it apart

How can we blame them for their actions, when we failed at representing Gods religion, instead we criticize each other daily, were getting in divisions

So Muslims, we have to spark a fire of love that transcends, to every Non-Muslim, not just our friends

Islam is not just for Muslims, but for all races and faces on earth, if you never accept it, you'll never know what its worth

So I send you tidings of peace, and I will continue my mission, of spreading this glorious deen, which gave me a vision

I want to make a confession, before we have another recession, if we don't strive for God, He will implement another succession

A succession of new people who will die in jihad, and people who, when hear the Koran, are very glad

So exchange your tears for hope of a brighter tomorrow, because Islam doesn't guarantee there won't be sorrow

Allah didn't say heaven is easy to achieve, you have to be active, it's not enough to just believe

Did the prophets suffer, or did they escape the trials they faced, so if we follow in their footsteps, their struggles we must taste

So being a Muslim means to conquer the weakness in your soul, not to follow your passions, getting trapped in a bigger whole

It means to spend the last ten nights of Ramadan in prostration, to honor Allah with a koranic recitation

How much more time will we waste, before we leave this world of toil, and get punished in hell as it boils

So always ponder that today might be your last day, so fulfill your contract with Allah, or he will leave you astray

Muslims, please awaken, from this sleep you've been taken, and get serious with your lives, or else one day you'll be forsaken

It's better to live in the streets and having God on your side, so stop swerving in wrong directions, and start to abide

Abide to His laws, for Allah was always Kareem, just keep calling on Allah no matter how difficult life may seem

When you wake up on the Day of Judgment after been sleeping many years, you won't realize how long you've been asleep, for you'll be filled with tears

So if you're a Muslim, then don't damage mother earth, take care of her soil, for one day you'll return to her dirt

Enjoy helping people, and take the bitterness out of your heart, for if you intend to stay devious, it will tear you apart

So make friends, and establish justice in society, always preach to people that there is only one deity.

N.O.R.F   

Satellite?blobcol=urldata&blobheader=ima

The Concept of Family in Islam *

The Backbone of Society

By Dr. Jamal Badawi

Chairman, Islamic Information Foundation - Canada

In Islam, family is the cornerstone of the social system. Family is not a casual or spontaneous organization of people, but it is a divinely ordained institution. Family and marriage are regarded as noble and sacred; a social contract that confers mutual rights and obligations on the couple.

The progress and welfare of society or its breakdown can be traced to the strength and unity or to the weakness of the family. The weakness is a crucial indicator of the weakness of society, reflected by problems like juvenile delinquency, drug abuse, alcoholism, teenage pregnancies, and divorce.

The concept of an "extended family" is common in non-Western cultures, unlike the concept of a "nuclear family", which means a family consisting of just the parents and their children, that is common in the West. "Extended family" means children, parents, grandparents, and sometimes in-laws share one household.

Islam does not specify that a Muslim family should be either nuclear or extended. With regards to relations within the same family, the first and most important is that of husband and wife, their children, and the grandparents.

Other relatives come in a second or third degree; although this is not to say that the individual has no obligation or responsibility at all towards these other relatives, whereas the first degree of relations has unequivocal and precise rights.

Islamic Family Laws

Although the nature of duties and obligations among members of a family are instinctive in human nature, it is important to realize that Islamic law exists only to supplement and enforce these innate feelings and not to replace them. Islam acts as a guarantee that the rights and responsibilities that each member of the family has with regard to others will be fulfilled with justice and equality.

Islamic family law establishes minimum basic rights to guarantee the interests of each family member. Thus, in Islam, family relations are governed by a balance between the innate sense of duty felt by family members and what is laid down as a minimum by the law.

In the absence of law, there could be problems arising from the fact that the innate nature of the father to treat all his children equally could be overridden by an attachment to one particular child, and so this child is especially favored, for example in inheritance, leaving the other children with their rights denied.

Lineage or lineal duty has an essential role in the Muslim family because from it stems the duties, obligations, and responsibilities of family members.

The most important Islamic teaching on this subject is that people must not claim a child as theirs if they adopted that child, and that children must not falsely claim to be the real son or daughter of a particular person if they are not, and that adopted children cannot be given the family name of their foster parents, because doing that would mask the adopted children's true identity. And of course, natural children have more claim to any inheritance than adopted children.

God says in the Qur'an what means,

[Allah has not made for any man two hearts within him; nor has He made your wives whose backs you liken to the backs of your mothers as your mothers, nor has He made those whom you assert to be your sons your real sons; these are the words of your mouths; and Allah speaks the truth and He guides to the way. Proclaim their real parentage. That will be more equitable in the sight of Allah. And if ye know not their fathers, then they are your brethren in the faith, and your clients. And there is no sin for you in the mistakes that ye make unintentionally, but what your hearts purpose (that will be a sin for you). Allah is ever Forgiving, Merciful.] (Al-Ahzab 33:4-5)

On the other hand, if an orphan or abandoned child is looked after by a family as an act of compassion; being given shelter, food, clothing, and other needs, then this is legal and indeed a great act of humanity for which Allah promises great rewards. Though the adopted children do not inherit on the same footing as the natural children, it is commendable for the adopter to bequeath something to them.

The importance of the family in Islam comes from its allocated function in preserving

the human race by procreation. Also, it is responsible for protecting the morals of the society and individuals by providing the only legitimate avenue for the satisfaction of the sexual urge.

Moreover, the family has an important role in providing the socialization and value orientation of children, and in providing social and economic security. Finally, making up a family motivates individuals to work hard, sacrifice their own welfare, and become beneficent for the sake of their family.

* Adapted from a lecture in Dr. Jamal Badawi’s Islamic Teachings series. To listen to the lecture, clickhere

source

N.O.R.F   

A Look at the Generation Gap

pic03.jpg

By Selma Cook

Even though there is so much overwhelming evidence that the world is in this great mess simply because mankind, on a massive scale, is striving to follow its collective desires, each successive generation is bound and declares that it is right. Mankind has such a limited perception of things; we only see things according to the angle where we stand, and it is impossible to see things comprehensively—hence we disagree most of the time. Any disagreement or conflict requires an effort to overcome it and this includes the problems associated with the generation gap.

In the midst of all the confusion and conflict amid feelings of self-righteousness, a lot of generalizations are made and injustice is done. Older people usually say they know everything and younger people usually say that older people don’t know anything at all and don’t understand anything. Perhaps one of the parties is right and perhaps both of them are wrong! Only Allah knows.

But it is true to say that not all teenagers are troublemakers and rebellious, and it is also true to say that not all parents neglect their kids; certainly not all parents are abusive. The media plays an important role in confusing the young and the old about their roles in life and how they should see each other. It is trendy for young people to buck authority and disobey their parents, and likewise many older people sit together and complain about the younger generation without acknowledging their positive points.

pic03a.jpg

Both sides of the gap need to be objective, kind, and openhearted. Both sides need to learn to appreciate each other and learn from each other’s special perspectives.

Believing in and practicing Islam bridges all gaps, even the generation gap. In the days of the Prophet (peace be upon him) we had examples like Usamah ibn Zaid, who led the Muslim army when he was only 17 years old after the death of the Prophet (peace be upon him). Many of the older and renowned Companions fought under his command. Also, `Ali ibn Abi Talib was loved and respected from a young and tender age. He was only 10 years old when he accepted Islam and accompanied the Prophet (peace be upon him) everywhere.

When we look at such examples, we notice that when it comes to respect, either from the old to the young, or the young to the old, it is based on decent and moral behavior. The people who were worthy of respect were respected because morality was valued.

Some people are easy to love and respect because of their characteristics and behavior; while with others you have to dig a little deeper to find the goodness that may lie hidden under mounds of shyness, aggression, defensiveness, hostility, aloofness, or fear. But if you care to be patient and spend some time, you’ll surely find that buried treasure that will enrich your lives.

Read more,,,,,

Northerner,

Jazkhallah kheir for the articles.

Ive come across an article I would like to share.Had me crying out of guilt, my own failure todate havent memorised the Quraan here is a loving Muslim devising a system for her daughter to memorise the quraan at a tender age of 5yrs mashallah.It all sums down to commitment, mashallah.

For those interested you can download it from islaam websites free books then click on how to memorise the quraan at age 7 and dont forget to copy the password youve got to register online to use the program.You can also find some other online books to download there to.

Wa Iyaaki brother,

Here is a link you will enjoy even more as a source of guidance.ideal muslims

An extract from one of the books

The Muslim Family’s Role in Building a Righteous Society

By Nazia Abbas

December 31, 2001 (Sawwal 16, 1422), Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

The Author is a Master of Arts (in Islamic Studies) degree holder. She is originally from Pakistan and presently residing in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia as a dependent of her husband. The enlightening article is one of the requirements that she submitted as a participant to the World Islamic Service for Developing Outstanding Muslims (WISDOM) International Islamic (Distance) Learning Program. We, the organizers of the Wisdom Enrichment Foundation (WEFOUND), pray to Allah the Almighty to accept her effort as a good deed, worthy of His Rewards especially in the life Hereafter. May Allah accept this also as a service from us and bless it as a source of enlightenment to Muslims and non-Muslims alike. Ameen.

Islam is the only perfect way of life. It enjoins the maintenance of a refined standard of character. It can solve all human problems. It is the only hope for overcoming the present and future challenges of life. The future of Islam is the future of humanity. Islam commands righteousness and forbids wrong doings and evil deeds. In other words, it commands all noble morals and forbids all ill and despicable manners. It is the complete guidance towards righteousness, and hence, success. What we need only is to practice it. The most valued virtues of a Muslim include truthfulness, and justice; helping the poor and the needy; respecting parents, scholars, teachers and elders; love and kindness for children, the widows and the poor. Likewise, it prohibits blasphemy, murders, terrorism, oppression, injustice, enmity, misery, adultery, drug addiction, suicide, graft and corruption, interest, slander, backbiting, lying, ridicule, use of offensive names suspicion, arrogance, and all evil deeds.

Islam had come to illuminate the lives of the people with the light of virtues and good manners to create righteous, God-loving and God-fearing people. It develops its believers, the Muslims, with the best of characters and fills their hearts with much devotion to the One True God, Allah. It inspires the Believers with Allah’s guidance and rewards to those who do righteous deeds and show devotion to Him. Muslims who know Islam believe in what Allah the Exalted says in the Qur’an on the virtues and rewards of righteousness:

“As for those who strive hard in Us (our Cause), We will surely, guide them to Our paths (i.e., Allah’s religion-Islamic Monotheism). And verily, Allah is with the Muhsinun (good doers) .” (Qur’an 29: 69)

“And the Garden will be brought nigh to the Righteous, ¾ no more a thing distant. (A voice will say:) `This is what was promised for you for every penitent heedful one, who feared the Most Gracious unseen, and brought a heart turned in devotion (to Him): Enter you therein in Peace and Security; this is a Day of Eternal Life!’ There will be for them therein all that they wish and there is more with Us.’” (Qur’an 50:31-35)

They further believe that Islam is the Right Religion from Allah. They know that it is the Straight way that guides us to be righteous and attain success, especially supreme success in the eternal life Hereafter. In one succinct and very enlightening verse Allah explains the full meaning of righteousness as follows:

“It is not righteousness that you turn your faces (in prayer) towards East or West; but it is righteousness to believe in God, and the Last Day, and the Angels and the Book, and the Messengers; to spend of your wealth-- in spite of your love for your kin, for orphans, for the needy, for the way farer, for those who ask and the ransom of slaves; to be steadfast in prayer and practice regular charity; to fulfill the contracts which you have made; and to be firm and patient, in all pain and adversity, and through out all periods of panic. Such are the people of truth, the God-minded.’’ (Qur’an 2: 177)

Allah the Almighty guides the whole mankind to be righteous through His Book, the Qur’an and His Messenger, the Prophet Muhammad (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, meaning: peace and blessings of Allah be upon him). In His Book, Allah emphasizes the need for righteousness and the rewards that He promises to those who do righteous deeds. Those among mankind who believe in Allah and do righteous deeds reap Allah’s Mercy as they shall have a great reward. Allah the Most Gracious and Most Merciful says:

“Verily this Qur’an guides to that which is most just and right and gives glad tidings to the believers who works deeds of righteousness, that they shall have a great reward.” (Qur’an 17 : 9)

“We indeed created man in the best of moulds, then do we abase him (to be) the lowest of the low, except such as those who believe and do righteous deeds, for they shall have a reward unfailing.” (Qur’an 95: 4-6)

Islam penetrates into all walks of life to conduct all human activities in a sound and wholesome manner, acceptable to God and beneficial to man. The manifestation of power and splendor, which are considered so important for the people in this world, will be of no value to Allah. In the Hereafter, Allah will judge a person by his faith, devotion and piety. It is, therefore, essential that we should concentrate on the reformation of our own hearts, minds and souls by sincerely turning to Allah for His Mercy through firm belief and obedience as these are parts of righteousness. Let us take guidance from the following authentic Ahâdîth:

Abdullah ibn Amr ibn al-'As Abdullah heard Allah’s Messenger (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) as saying: “Verily, the hearts of all the sons of Adam are between the two fingers out of the fingers of the Compassionate Rabb (Cherisher and Sustainer) as one heart. He turns that to any (direction) He likes.” Then Allah’s Messenger (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said: “O Allah, the Turner of the hearts, turn our hearts to Your obedience.” (Muslim 6418)

N.O.R.F   

JZAK A good read

My Daughter Is a Muslim

By Eva Vergaelen

Freelance Writer

Nele Godts grew up with her two brothers in a typical Belgian family. Her parents gave their children all the possibilities to develop their personalities. At the age of 17, Nele converted to Islam and changed her name to Nawal. Now, nine years later, Nawal is married to an Egyptian and teaches Qur'an to her neighbors. This is an interview with Tine and her daughter Nele, or Nawal, to others.

Mother Tine

"My daughter has two names: Nele, the name chosen by me and her father, and Nawal, the name chosen by herself when she entered Islam. Her husband and friends call her Nawal, which means 'gift.' For me she is and remains my Nele. And yes, she is a true gift.

When Nele was 17, she converted to Islam. For me, it all happened all of a sudden. I did not realize that she was interested in Islam, so it came a bit as a shock. It would have been easier for me if I would have been more involved, so as to share with her in her new way of life.

The first time we went out together while she was wearing a veil, I did not feel at ease. People were staring at her. Actually, the problems that we faced in our relation were mainly stirred by external factors. I often play the role of mediator when friends or family criticizes my daughter's religious choice. Although I don't entirely understand her choice, I respect it and defend her rights. I don't see her in the first place as a Muslim, but as a young woman with a beautiful heart.

What bothers me is that sometimes there are certain Islamic practices, like gender division and wearing a veil. My generation had to fight for independence against the suppressing influence of the church. We symbolized our struggle through 'liberal' clothes and gender-mixed activities.

Christian traditions such as fasting, praying, or meditating belonged to the past. Now, I am confronted again with such religious rules, which is not easy. However, I admire the way Nele lives her religion. It really is a way of living, not just some practices. In our hectic lifestyle, we should reconsider the beauty of meditation - be it religiously inspired or otherwise.

Communicating in respect is the key for people of different cultures or religions to living together. Nele does not want to be near people who drink alcohol; however, alcohol in our culture is widely used. No one questions the fact that a birthday dinner goes with a bottle of wine.

Nele does not visit her relatives during festivities, because she knows that alcohol will be served. This is sometimes difficult for others to understand. I respect this, but many others don't. They start focusing on the things that differentiate us instead of on those that bring us together. As such, social isolation is developed and communication fades away.

I was worried that Nele would be isolated from our society, especially because she wears 'non-Western' clothes and a veil, which are associated with foreigners. When she got married to an Egyptian and moved to Cairo, it felt in a way that she was going 'home,' to a place where she is considered to be part of. It is amazing the way their life is centered around religion. Our Western lifestyle is centered around time; we live according to our watch.

Nele was an emancipated and critical girl. Entering Islam seemed for me a contradicting choice. However, if I look beneath her veil and long clothes, she still is my strong girl and I am proud of her. Yes, my Nele is called Nawal, and yes, she is Muslim, but she will always remain my daughter whose personal development I support."

Daughter Nele

"I was merely 17 when I woke up one morning and asked myself whether I believed in God and whether Muhammad was His Prophet and Messenger. I answered 'yes,' got up out of bed, and went to the mosque in Brussels.

After a long process of seeking the true message of God, I read the story of Prophet Salih. Prophet Salih was sent by God to the people of Thamud [1]. They asked him to prove the existence of God. God sent a pregnant camel, made of rocks, and brought it to life.

While reading this story, I wondered to myself what proof I needed to believe in God. Was I really just seeking excuses not to believe in Him? I opened my heart and was blessed with His love.

I did not have to change my name, but I felt that I was in need of a new identity. My new name was a symbol of a new start. I changed as a person, not in my way of dealing with others, but of looking at life. I have different identities, such as daughter, wife, friend, and sister. I feel home within all these identities.

I am home among Muslims who try to live according to Islam. I am home with my parents and brothers, who love me and whom I love despite our religious differences. Although my family does not understand my religious choice, they give me all the opportunities to develop myself in an Islamic way of life.

It has been nine years since I converted to Islam and, al-hamdu lillah, every day I am more convinced of the choice I made. I try to learn as much as possible about my religion and apply it to my daily life, in order to become a good person and a good Muslim. I share my knowledge with other girls who are interested in Islam and together we grow in our belief. I find it important to be critical towards myself and my belief.

The Qur'an is the word of God, but we are merely people with our own interpretation. We can only try to study Allah's message and come as close as possible to Him. In the Western context, it is not easy to be a critical Muslim, since Islam is being blamed as the source of all evil. As a Muslim, you tend to defend your religion by isolating yourself as a community. However, as true Muslims, we should always be open for a dialogue.

When I started my life as a Muslim, I was still a teenager. As all teenagers, I was not very open towards my parents. Actually, they suddenly discovered that I converted just when I started wearing the veil. For me, this was a normal step in my religious development; for my parents, it came as a shock.

My communication skills grew over the years. Now, I find it important to involve my parents in seeking solutions when my perception on something clashes with theirs. Although we don't always understand each other's choices, we respect each other. As Nawal, I am proud to be a Muslim; and as Nele, I hope that my mother is proud of me being a good person."

[1] [And to Thamud (We sent) their brother Salih. He said, O my people! Serve Allah, you have no god other than Him; clear proof indeed has come to you from your Lord; this is (as) Allah's she-camel for you - a sign, therefore leave her alone to pasture on Allah's earth, and do not touch her with any harm; otherwise, painful chastisement will overtake you.] (Al-A`raf 7:73)

Link

N.O.R.F   

When Malik (Malcolm X)discovered 'true' Islam

Malcolm X’s (al-Hajj, Malik al-Shabazz) Letter from Makkah

The following is Malcolm X’s (al-Hajj, Malik al-Shabazz) letter to his assistants in Harlem during his pilgrimage to Makkah in April of 1964:

Never have I witnessed such sincere hospitality and overwhelming spirit of true brotherhood as is practiced by people of all colors and races here in this ancient holy land, the home of Abraham, Muhammad and all the other Prophets of the holy scriptures. For the past week, I have been utterly speechless and spellbound by the graciousness I see displayed all around me by people of all colors.

I have been blessed to visit the holy city of Makkah; I have made my seven circuits around the Ka'aba, led by a young Mutawwaf (guide) named Muhammad; I drank water from the well of the Zamzam. I ran seven times back and forth between the hills of mount al-Safa and al-Marwa. I have prayed in the ancient city of Mina, and I have prayed on mount Arafat.

There were tens of thousands of pilgrims, from all over the world. They were of all colors, from blue-eyed blondes to black-skinned Africans. But we were all participating in the same ritual, displaying a spirit of unity and brotherhood that my experiences in America had led me to believe never could exist between the white and non-white.

America needs to understand Islam, because this is the one religion that erases from its society the race problem. Throughout my travels in the Muslim world, I have met, talked to, and even eaten with people who in America would have been considered white - but the white attitude was removed from their minds by the religion of Islam. I have never before seen sincere and true brotherhood practiced by all colors together, irrespective of their color.

You may be shocked by these words coming from me. But on this pilgrimage, what I have seen, and experienced, has forced me to rearrange much of my thought-patterns previously held, and to toss aside some of my previous conclusions. This was not too difficult for me. Despite my firm convictions, I have always been a man who tries to face facts, and to accept the reality of life as new experience and new knowledge unfolds it. I have always kept an open mind, which is necessary to the flexibility that must go hand in hand with every form of intelligent search for truth.

During the past eleven days here in the Muslim world, I have eaten from the same plate, drunk from the same glass, and slept on the same rug - while praying to the same God - with fellow Muslims, whose eyes were the bluest of blue, whose hair was the blondest of blond, and whose skin was the whitest of white. And in the words and in the deeds of the white Muslims, I felt the same sincerity that I felt among the black African Muslims of Nigeria, Sudan and Ghana.

We were truly all the same (brothers) - because their belief in one God had removed the white from their minds, the white from their behavior, and the white from their attitude.

I could see from this, that perhaps if white Americans could accept the Oneness of God, then perhaps, too, they could accept in reality the Oneness of Man - and cease to measure, and hinder, and harm others in terms of their “differences” in color.

With racism plaguing America like an incurable cancer, the so-called “Christian” white American heart should be more receptive to a proven solution to such a destructive problem. Perhaps it could be in time to save America from imminent disaster - the same destruction brought upon Germany by racism that eventually destroyed the Germans themselves.

Each hour here in the holy land enables me to have greater spiritual insights into what is happening in America between black and white. The American Negro never can be blamed for his racial animosities - he is only reacting to four hundred years of the conscious racism of the American whites. But as racism leads America up the suicide path, I do believe, from the experiences that I have had with them, that the whites of the younger generation, in the colleges and universities, will see the handwriting on the walls and many of them will turn to the spiritual path of truth - the only way left to America to ward off the disaster that racism inevitably must lead to.

Never have I been so highly honored. Never have I been made to feel more humble and unworthy. Who would believe the blessings that have been heaped upon an American Negro? A few nights ago, a man who would be called in America a white man, a United Nations diplomat, an ambassador, a companion of kings, gave me his hotel suite, his bed. Never would I have even thought of dreaming that I would ever be a recipient of such honors - honors that in America would be bestowed upon a King - not a Negro.

All praise is due to Allah, the Lord of all the worlds.

Sincerely,

al-Hajj, Malik al-Shabazz (Malcolm X)

Taken from The Autobiography of Malcolm X, co-authored by Alex Haley.

Editor’s Note: The compassion, selflessness, brotherhood, and generosity that Malcolm encountered in Makkah during his Hajj opened his heart to the true spirit of Sunni Islam. He writes in his autobiography, “Because of the spiritual enlightenment which I was blessed to receive as the result of my recent pilgrimage to the holy city of Makkah, I no longer subscribe to sweeping indictments of any one race. I am now striving to live the life of a true Sunni Muslim. I must repeat that I am not a racist nor do I subscribe to the tenets of racism. I can state in all sincerity that I wish nothing but freedom, justice and equality, life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness for all people.”

N.O.R.F   

Prayer Is Better Than Sleep

By Idris Tawfiq

British Writer and Speaker

Satellite?blobcol=urldata&blobheader=ima

When young Muslims meet others for the first time and find out that they are Muslim, often one of the very first questions they ask each other is, "Do you pray?" It's as if this is their touchstone to see if the person they have met is a real Muslim or not. Calling yourself Muslim is one thing, being a Muslim is something else. We all know deep down, don't we, that praying five times a day is at the heart of Islam? It is one of the things that distinguishes a Muslim from everyone else in the world; that all the activities of life can be made significant by the cycle of prayer and praise which we offer to Almighty Allah. So why, then, do we have such a problem being faithful to prayer?

I performed `Umrah for the first time last April. It was one of the most important experiences of my life and it is still having its effects on me now. Being so close to the Ka`bah was a deeply moving experience. Being at the very place where our beloved Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him), like all the prophets before him, had walked and prayed, was amazing. One of the things that hit me most about being in Makkah, amongst so many others, was when the call to Prayer sounded for Fajr, the Dawn Prayer. Thousands of people appeared from every direction and headed towards the Ka`bah for prayer. Getting up in the middle of the night wasn't difficult at all, because the experience of praying at the Ka`bah was so moving. At the time, moving with the vast crowd, I couldn't help thinking about what it is usually like back home. Those getting up and going to the mosque for the Dawn Prayer are certainly a minority, aren't they? Away from Makkah, it is all too easy to ignore the Adhan completely and stay in the comfort of one's bed.

At special times like Ramadan, or when we go on pilgrimage, it seems so much easier to be faithful to prayer and to take Islam so much more seriously. How many of us, for example, attended Tarawih Prayers in the mosque during Ramadan, even though we might occasionally miss one or two of the obligatory prayers? It's one of life's paradoxes that we want so much to be good, and yet we find ourselves falling into the same old traps and doing things we later regret.

How odd we are as human beings! We can quite happily sit in front of the television for hours or sit idly chatting on the Net to no one in particular, yet we can't manage to set aside ten minutes to pray. We do pray, of course, when we want something. Prayer is no problem for us at all then. It comes quite naturally and is no inconvenience at all. The minute a plane begins to plummet to the ground because of engine failure, even the least religious person on board raises his hands in prayer. When a loved one is diagnosed with a serious illness or when we desperately want an interview to go well, we pray.

The Words of the Adhan

The very words of the Adhan call us to prayer and to security. There is no greater security than knowing that we are in the presence of Allah, Who controls all things. We fret so much and we waste so much time worrying about what might happen, when Allah is guiding everything and we have nothing to fear. How beautiful it is, for example, to get up in the middle of the night, when all is still and calm, and to prostrate ourselves in prayer before the Maker of the Heavens and the Earth. No one else is around and we can be completely ourselves before Him, pouring out our hearts, asking, begging, and thanking.

If we want something from a friend, we have to couch our request with explanations: "Can I borrow such and such because…". With Allah we need no explanations. He knows more about what we need than we know ourselves. All we need to do is to bow down in prayer. The very movement of the prayers is relaxing to our bodies and it helps us to put our lives into the proper context. In the presence of such greatness, life is very fragile.

For Muslims, the call to Prayer is like an air raid siren. In times of war or danger, an air raid siren will sound to tell the citizens to run and take cover. No one thinks twice about doing so. The siren sounds and you run as fast as your legs can carry you to a place of safety.The Adhan is just the same, but it is calling us to escape, not from bombs falling from the sky, but from the everyday concerns and worries of life which often threaten to crush us. It calls us, instead, to take shelter in Allah alone, Who knows us and cares for us and Who wants the best for us. How quickly we should rush to prayer, taking refuge in Allah. How quickly we should leave the inconsequential things of life and turn in prayer to life's Creator.

We have all seen old people in the mosque and been deeply touched by this old man or that old lady who spends so much time in prayer. Praying has made a difference to them. It is very moving, too, to see a man come into the mosque from the street, straight from his work which is both back breaking and hard, and to see him prostrate himself in prayer, praying, perhaps, for his children or for the money he needs just to make ends meet. With our foreheads touching the ground, we are all equal. There is no pretending when we pray.

Who Should We Thank, and How?

We are truly blessed as Muslims. Allah has given us everything we need to live a good life, which will bring us happiness. The five pillars of Islam guide us to Paradise. The five daily prayers are a way of giving meaning to our lives and of setting aside just a few minutes each day to return thanks for all we have. Every Ramadan we make lots of resolutions about how we are going to improve. The greatest resolution of all is to be faithful to prayer. All our talk about Muslims and about Islam is worthless if we don't ground it in prayer. Being faithful to the five daily prayers changes us for the better. Better than watching TV, better than chatting on the Internet, prayer on a regular basis re-charges our spiritual batteries and makes us feel good. What's more, regular prayer makes us better people, better Muslims, since its effects stay with us for the rest of the day. In the words of the Adhan which call us to get out of bed and to pray Fajr, the Dawn Prayer, "Prayer is better than sleep."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Idris Tawfiq is a British Muslim writer who lives and works in Egypt. He has spent many years working with young people. He was head of religious education in different schools in the United Kingdom and, perhaps more remarkably, before embracing Islam he was a Roman Catholic priest. You can visit website at www.idristawfiq.com.

Thierry.   

JZK brother Northerner some heart felt reminders especially the biography of brother al-Hajj, Malik al-Shabazz (ra)