Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

SOLers, YOU need to step up to the plate. CiF article on Somali community

N.O.R.F   

It is time ya jamaaca. Something really needs to be done about the lack of educational accomplishment amongst our younger generation. There are many ways of getting the right support from local authorities and there are many ways of informing both parents and kids of how the educational system works, how best to achieve good grades, research tips etc which can all be conducted at the local community centres during the week.

I'm aware of the good work by some SOLers and the good intentions of everyone but I think the situation is critical now. Kids just prod along day in and day out without any hope because there is no one there for them to look up to and provide that little bit of support when needed. Thats all it takes a little help.

If any of you have any info on local initiatives please post them up.

If we can help in anyway let us know but the onous is on you my dear friends. The young ones need as much support as they can get and what better examples/role models than you smelly lot?

Adrift in the UKThousands of Somalis have come to Britain to seek a better life. The government is doing too little to help them integrate

Jeremy Sare guardian.co.uk, Thursday June 5 2008

What does it feel like to lose your country? We read almost daily of the mayhem and spiralling violence in Somalia. But what of Somalis living in Britain? There are perhaps 250,000 British Somalis and asylum seekers living in London, Liverpool, Cardiff and Bristol and elsewhere, but they are almost an invisible minority. Despite the immense harm caused by this continuing social dislocation, little is being done by government to overcome it.

The social exclusion of British Somalis is unparalleled and mirrors the isolation of Somalia itself. Unemployment is high and educational attainment is the lowest among ethnic minority groups. Culturally the Somalis are barely noticeable; there are very few festivals, little radio and only a handful of Somali restaurants.

The reasons for the lack of culture and social participation of Somalis in 21st century Britain is, at least in part, subliminal. When any group emigrates in adversity, it holds on to cheering images of the old country. However, such is the extreme physical and structural devastation of Somalia, that the memories and longing are for a place which, effectively, no longer exists. This underlying psychological sense of loss, compounded by the traumatic experiences of war, has resulted in a collective withdrawal from active society.

Ministers have referred ad nauseam to making a priority of social cohesion and countering any emerging extremism in Muslim communities. However, the Department of Communities and Local Government (DCLG) admits it ran "no specific programmes for the Somali community". It is not surprising there is no coherent policy or national strategy when responsibility is spread across the Cabinet Office, Home Office, Foreign Office and DCLG.

It was hardly helpful to social cohesion for the government to announce last year the introduction of charges for asylum seekers who take English classes - a decision the Refugee Council described as "astonishing".

The figures for educational attainment of Somali students are shameful for a government which prides itself on its commitment to equal opportunities. A survey in south London in 2006 showed just 33% of Somali students passed five GCSEs, compared with 59% for students from other African communities and 80% for Chinese students. If you combine the abysmal unemployment figures for Somali men (IPPR estimates this to be 65%) with substance abuse and growing domestic violence then the picture of social dysfunction is complete.

The government's patriarchal approach of "treating everyone the same" is clearly wrong-headed and ineffectual. It needn't be this way. A recent study from Lambeth council showed that addressing the specific needs of the Somali community resulted in an extraordinary turnaround of GCSE results amongst Somali students. In one school, the numbers achieving five or more A* to C grades rose from 27% in 1994 to 100% in 2007. The council attributed the success of the programme to "a concerted attempt to reach out to parents, to overcome the language barrier and their lack of knowledge of the educational system".

George Galloway, as Respect MP for Tower Hamlets, agreed with me that the government has not set out specific planning for the Somali community. Galloway's constituency has a Somali population estimated at 10,000 and he is very familiar with the plight of the community. "The government assumed a decade ago Somalia would be stabilised and it would be able to deport people back there. Couple that with the systematic attacks on the welfare state of the last two decades and you have a picture that is very different from the 1960s when the main immigrant communities were from the Caribbean and Indian subcontinent. The government needs to recognise the Somali community is a resource to this country, not a problematic burden".

With participation comes greater visibility but young Somalis lack the necessary role models. Mohammed Ali Mahmood, Britain's first Somali councillor, was elected in 2004 for the Liberal Democrats in Liverpool. He told me of his community's experience of disengagement and alienation. He was dismissive of Somalis making any kind of breakthrough in terms of political representation similar to Asian and African-Caribbean communities. "Somalis discuss politics more than most people and are very knowledgeable about current affairs but the political parties do little to encourage our participation." Ali has also suffered his fair share of plain old-fashioned racism from the establishment. He was delighted to be invited to a Buckingham Palace garden party soon after his election. "It was a big thrill for us. But when my wife and I tried to get through the entrance gate, the police reacted like we were al-Qaida."

It's self-evident that Somalia re-establishing its own government and civil society would give the community here more hope and purpose but at present there is no prospect of that. In the last few weeks, the intense fighting in the capital of Mogadishu has forced much of the population out of the city to become refugees in their own country. The social and cultural isolation of British Somalis continues; the process of integration and finding a voice for their community is slow and is happening in spite of government efforts and not because of them

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2008/jun/05/immigration.immigrationpolicy?gusrc=rss&feed=wor ldnews

ps read the comments

-Lily-   

North, what about the 100 ‘community’ centres’ run by incapable, dishonest & shady individuals floating around in London alone that are drying the council’s of funds? How come there are no interpreters, after school home work clubs and tea and coffee mornings for the elderly? These services do not require a lot of money, just co-ordination. Somalis are ripping themselves off brother. The issue is beyond a few role models.

Ibtisam   

Now me have two "big brother" role models. :rolleyes:

In any case I do not think that everything can be blamed on the lack of role models. Kids are out of control these days and too many opportunities to be gangsters. This coupled with lack of parental control and lack of supervision gives kids too much time. Every problem starts at home, and this society will only make these problems worse. Parents need to do more for their kids, but due to lack of knowledge and know-how they cannot provide this support. I don't if government provided services will make any difference or substitute for parental control that is missing.

So called community centres run by somali's for somali's are often just an excuse to make money and do little. there are a few who do, but the majority don't! More of them will not help, we need less, but effective community centres.

Somali parents take very little interest in education and how their kids are doing, let alone help or monitor their progress. This does not mean they do not care, they will pay to take them to after school classes, pay for private tuition etc, but that is as far as their involvement goes. I say this from experience of working with pre- GCSE Somali kids and my own family who have yet to attend a parent evening, NRA, results day, graduation, the other graduation and could not tell you what I studied or even do now. :cool:

N.O.R.F   

^^The action is with you dear. If parents are not informed, inform them.

Lily,

Forget those good for nothing people. I don't think the schemes they are running has any relation or is geared towards bridging the 'grades gap'.

New schemes should be set up by people who KNOW what is needed seperately and use those centres as a base for talks, presentations, home work clubs etc.

-Lily-   

Yes North, but there is only so much we can do, you know how hectic London life is, seems a Herculean task for few individuals :(

Ibti, that is sad.

Ibtisam   

North I think you missed my point a little. Parents need to be more than “informed”, they need to take an active role in their children’s life and education. No one else is going to do it for them, not role models, or education centres or community services.

Lily, it is a shame, because kids need a hands on approach now, the constrain is that the parents (most) have not gone thorough any formal education and cannot have any input or as suggested by north can only be “informed” and not “involved”

N.O.R.F   

It only takes a little effort dear. I know how busy we all get in our lives but something needs to be done and we (been there, done that and bought the T-shirt) are the last option. If kids see and talk to people who have graduated and are now working on a regular basis that will give the drive they need to succeed. I would hate to think what the situation would be in 10 years time if nothing is done.

Ibti,

I know but how do you get parents to get to that stage. If know what is expected of their kids this year and next, what they need to achieve and how, they may just wake up and smell the coffee and that what you all need to do through informative Sat afternoon workshops at the local centres/mosques etc. It really doesnt take much of an effort if you all pull together.

Ibtisam   

Something which is also important is the gap between the educated and the non-educated. The different paths their experiences and life choices take, often means they hardly cross path for any prolonged period of time. It is hard to influence and help people you run pass or occasionally say hello to. Some educated ones look down on the other, often name calling and running away as if they are half afraid failure may rub on to them too. While the other camp, also do they fair share of name calling, develop complexity such as assuming that the “nerds” are looking down on the, because they did not go to college. It is a strange position to be in.

North; You can only help those who want to be helped! You cannot force anyone to do anything. Last year when I had more time I started a Somali-professional group, despite the fact the mentors were available and willing to give an hour here and there the kids were not interested. Only kids who attended were few girls whose parents forced them to attend. They sat drooling on the table for the whole two hours. It was like talking to a brick wall. Too much energy and effort for someone who has another life, job and family, you cannot chase people or force them. It is easy to under estimate the effort and energy that will go into this thing.

Malika   

Northerner,

It doesnt take a little effort dear,its bloody hard work to engage Somalis in anything positive.They will try at every possible opportunity to subortage you and your aim.I have seen and had experienced first hand.I was very active a few years ago,and being the only Somali within the education authority where I live,I had all the information they needed.But heck did they see past my qabiil..oh no,everything that I adviced them they took it with a pinch of salt,not because I lacked knowledge,but I was the wrong qabiil.

Anywho moving from my emotions,as Lily had mentioned there are so many organisations that are milking the system for the sake of bettering the community,but again if my inaa adeer is a corrupt community worker,I will support him despite me and my child not benefitting from his fraud..Honestly we are our own worst enemies!

Northerner,I had a meeting with a parent just last week,after informing her of her sons disruptive behaviour,which is hindering his learning..she only turn around to ask me and his form tutor if we can be tolerant..iska duulqadaa kulaha,if I could slap her I would have..Lol and the boy was sitting right there..What a message is sent to this boy,he can cause havoc and we his teachers are supposed to tolerate him...arg

Alright,I will approach this topic later when am not fumming..Heh :mad: I have just been informed they[somalis]had refused to join the local Muslim community to fund raise for our first Mosque,which requires at least 2 million pounds..Now,these are the wadaads,their excuse is,they wont be the leaders of the mosque!!..

me   

First find two Somalis that can work together to bring about positive change in their community.

NGONGE   

^^^ :D

Have you lost faith in Somalis and Somalia? No more the cheerful dutch man, huh? Welcome to the UK.

Hunguri   

NG, You know what! A very good example, and an old saying or adage from the Somali olders, proofs that Somalis will never get along each other. They say!

A husband and wife are neither at war nor at peace . Naag iyo ninkeed colna maaha, nabadna maaha. Markaa, dad bari hore is habaaray ayaad ka hadlaysaan smile.gif

me   

nopes I have seen what kind of folks you guys really are!

Somalis seemed such an exotic and wonderful people, but now when I have to deal with you lot....damn waa sheeko kale.