Sign in to follow this  
GaroweGal

Re-learning Somali

Any pointers would be appreciated with more emphasis made on ways to improve vocabulary. I tried reading news articles in Somali and that does not work. Too sophisticated and the news is always depressing. :(

Are there any Somali books I can read? The only thing I found in my house is the Qur'aan translation. :confused:

Surely, a lenthy stay in Somalia is not the only way! :D

Haatu   

SOL can help a lot trust me. With Nuune speaking 50% Somali & Maaddeey refusing to speak anything else, I'm sure you'll learn in no time. But there's the danger that certain individuals (ehemtuujiye) that speak a language of their own can corrupt your Somali :D

BOB   

Gabar Ciise Max'ud errr Sorry I meant GaroweGal...I'm more than willing to teach you Somali plus a bonus which happens to be a term known as Af Jinni...just tell me where and when and at what time?

Peace, Love & Unity.

Juxa   

you forget macalimada afsomaliga ahem me:)

garowe best way is to practise it here, just write somali, here and there and before you know sidi ibti baad noqon macalimad yar yourself

Originally posted by *BOB:

Gabar Ciise Max'ud errr Sorry I meant GaroweGal...I'm more than willing to teach you Somali plus a bonus which happens to be a term known as Af Jinni...just tell me where and when and at what time?

Peace, Love & Unity.

When; NOW! Where; SOL. Let us start Macalin Bob :D

Haatu: lol I can truthfully say I have attempted reading Maddey's posts and a few others and probably deciphered next to nothing redface.gif

Juxa: Macalim Juxa or Macalim Bob. Can I buy one, get one free :D

Haatu   

Originally posted by GaroweGal:

Haatu: lol I can truthfully say I have attempted reading Maddey's posts and a few others and probably deciphered next to nothing
redface.gif

lol you got the poor fella wrong. It's not that you don't understand him, it's just that he talks out of his back side most of the time :D

Juxa   

GG, my lesson is free in a public place with least danger to yourself and sanity

BOB you are out

Hales   

I also have a similar problem reading Somali, if your new to reading Somali (i can see you from your posts you are :D ) your obviously going to need a lot of practise and experience.

Attempt to read large articles after finishing it, proof read and try to figure what the words really mean.

Just practise reading what your can and are capable.

Im sure you can read some parts, otherwise you probably dont know the Somali language

In my opinion the whole writing system/script needs to be changed and swapped to one that can make use agglutinations and other stuff.

The latin alphabet just is not good enough.

Garowe,

SOL is the best place to practice for real. When I first joined this site, my reading and writing skills were so bad that I had to have a Somali Dictionary at hand when visiting the "dood wadaag" section, jokes and the politics section back then. Hadana, I even understand Tuujiye half of the time, though it consumes my precious time. So take notes, ask words you dont understand, or consult with your Mali dictionary and practice!

Hales   

I notice people here tend to write differently probably because of the different ages and dialects their accustomed to. The language is also pretty diverse, in conversations people tend to mix and use different non-standard use; more like slang or jokes; this might confuse.

Standard Somali is usually written in most Newswebsites. You can watch the news or read articles or preferably read something that your interested in.

like i wrote in my last post, this is in my experience.

Start with WardheerNews.com or Allpuntland :D sorry, it might not be in your interests.