Sign in to follow this  
Mawa

Are the guys lagging behind?

Bloody hell, every thread in sol is Somali man this Somali man that? Why the dedication of threads?

Ps it has become fashionable to somali man bash these days, threads are complaining about everything about somali man from there clothes-breath-table manners etc… am sure if this ill mannered men decide to find ajnabi girl who will appreciate there short-comings and marry them.. Scores of thread in sol will appear complaining how Somali men are selling out blah blah….

P.s.s I don’t think faith is the issue here, woman are not marrying out because of that, believe me Somali community has wadaad man in abundance. All those man walking around with don’t touch my shoes trousers, come on now surely that’s not the main issue?

Malika   

Could it be that one expectation is slightly higher,confused by the media on what a marriage should be like but not trully understanding what it takes to make it work..[with a somali men or a non somali men]

Or

Somali girls have found themselves at a candy shop,too much choices at their disposal with their families approval too.In the past it used to be such a taboo to marry outside the somali race,but nowdays its almost encouraged by families.

[me thinks]

Blessed   

This is the first generation of 20/30 somthing years olds that grew up in the west. They speak more English than Somali, their culture is more Western-Islamic than Somali and their parents having lived amongst a multi-ethnic Muslim community are more receptive to mixed marriages.

Still, those that are married to foreigners are a very small minority. I personally, know more sisters who are married to wadaad Somalis than reverts or other Muslims. Having said that, I don't see why the nationality of the brother matters so much. Any marriage between any two Muslims, is a blessing. We shouldn't trivialise it. ;)

Also, on average, there are about 4 four Somali (xalimo marrying farax) weddings per weekend in London, love for Faaraxs is a plenty, there. smile.gif

Bottom line, we have more choice now, embrace it, enjoy it but lets not use it to score points against each other.

As for Somali men lagging behind their women…Hmm! We'd have to look at university / employment percentages before making conclusive remarks, me thinks.

Perhaps its because of the shortage of marital-age Somali men?

We have lost a huge proportion of men during the civil strife in the past 17-18yrs. I'm sure there is no doubt that while women and kids suffered, men got killed! I really worry for the future of our people sometimes. They are being killed by the droves by Ethiopians as I type here. I reckon a few years from now sister might have to settle for polygamy or seek outside - it looks like the ones in the west are doing it already.

Malika   

Originally posted by *Blessed:

[QB] This is the first generation of 20/30 somthing years olds that grew up in the west. They speak more English than Somali, their culture is more Western-Islamic than Somali and their parents having lived amongst a multi-ethinic Muslim community are more receptive to mixed marriages.

QB]

^*Hello there Zenobia*

Well maybe,but there had been other generation born outside Somalia before and they continued to uphold their Somaliness at all time despite the enviroment they were at.

I think this has to do with civil war,young women seeing their fathers ,brother or uncles at their weakest had probably contributed to this low self confidence in Somali men.[me think]

Could not agree more @ Blessed the numbers of Somali girls marrying outside is a small %, we should not approach this issue as a soaring new phenomenon in the community which seems to be the theme in Sol.

Ps its also best to remember that somali woman outnumber somali man out there, in these case marrying non-somali becomes an option but in our community I see a growing second wife, 3rd wife than woman marrying outside….so is it worth to somali man bash? Don’t get me I sometimes relish in bashing them, but most of the problems are not exclusive to Somali man most of the woman suffer from the same problems even worse in some instances

Dhubad.   

A wadaad once told me that he was approached by an Imam of a local mosque in London and told him the majority of sisters who are currently looking for marriage are Somalis and irronically most of them said they prefer men from other races.

So the Imam said to the Somali wadaad "what have u done to your sisters" the wadaad was dumbfounded and couldn't give him an answer.

To the sisters what is the problem? I am sure no one is 100% perfect but I believe is better to stick with your own kind, makes the life easier I guess !