Sign in to follow this  
-Serenity-

Big Brother - The Somalis have arrived

I'm not really concerned with what some Somali does... its his hypocrisy thats a bitter pill to swallow. Having seen bits and pieces of his interview prior to being on BB, he claimed to be a MUSLIM and HOMOPHOBIC. Now, I blv those were the reasons he was put in there... to stir controversty, its a show after all, but he is not living up to his so called 'principles'..and quite frankly, I'm not impressed with his complacent and very accommodating attitude. He should have just left the MUSLIM part out... n I'd be happy to support him as a fellow Somali. He is painting a bad picture of Muslims.

Blessed   

Originally posted by AYOUB_SHEIKH:

What is this Merkani language anyway?

They speak it in Merka. Sawahili / Somali.

If a Somali female dared step into taht house - the Somali honour guards would have burnt it down by now.... Thank GOd it's a Farax, eh?

After seeing a short clip of the show and hearing how every one is talking about this brother. I am reminded of why I stoped watching that patheticc show.

I don't know who I feel sorry for more, the pawns who allow themselves to be treated like fish in a bowl - or the people (us) who actually sit in front of a television screen and watch a bunch of bored people lounge around. A great waste of money, time and talent walaahi. It's another way of promoting gossip, idlesness and self righteousnes. Acuudu Bilaah - I suppose thats what so 'eveil' about the whole thing :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Besides, what makes this bloke and all others representative of their categories. Does anyone notice the contradictions of liberal Britain? I hate the way these media pigs play on stereotypes. For that reson, am actually glad that he ain't acting up the supposed common characteristics of a Somali, Muslim refugee - that should smash their silly pre-conceptions.....

AYOUB   

^^^An uninhibited show-off of a man who thinks he's an Italian is also stereotype of some Somalis. :D

I prefer the old qaxooti stereotype to this all-smiling and all-giggling ***** :mad:

As far as i'm concerned from this moment: he is sawahili.

Jumatatu   

Jumatatu would you have the same attitude if it was a girl who was 'behaving' this way?

Seriously speaking I wouldnt bother cause it is her choice...and am aware whether I like it or not will not change her attitude and it is the same with Ahmed. But Ayub let me ask you , do you really think we are a society who are all morally correct...nope...hence what am advocating for it is to respect and tolerate the other persons choice.

What is this Merkani language anyway?

I dont think there is a language called as merkani, but there is a dialect of the Somali language spoken in Merka, however it is not that much different than the one spoken in Xamar and it is surroundings...

They speak it in Merka. Sawahili / Somali.

that is called Bajuuni spoken by the bajuunis who inhabit barawe and all the way down to Kismayo

i hav ta agree with jumatatu (boqol kiiba boqol) merka waxaa looga hadlaa af reer xamar, wax yaalo yar yar ayeey ku kala duwan yihiin

banka = banaanka waxaas iyo wax lamid ah

asxantu

NGONGE   

I see a lot of people arguing for the man’s “choice”! This idea of choice is going to get us into all sorts of philosophical discussions about the nature of choice. I don’t want to start that though. I’m following Seven of Nine’s argument of hypocrisy. The guy seems to be confused about the meaning of being a Muslim (I’m being very generous here). It’s not for me to say if he is one or not. We’re all sinners in one-way or another. However, there are basics of Islam that even the uneducated generation of the Somali civil war know about; YOU. DON’T. WALK. AROUND. NAKED in the presence of others!

I seriously question the ability of a Muslim to be in such a show while being true to his principles and beliefs. We all have choices, we can be gay, we can commit adultery and we can drink alcohol if we so choose. But, we can’t choose to do all these things and choose to be Muslim at the same time. Some speak about the interpretation of Islam in different people’s eyes. Well, people are not the same in what they see and perceive and there will always be a difference of interpretation. The basics can’t be disputed though. Islam means submission to the will of Allah(swt). To submit is to give in, to forsake all the wishes and desires that are not compatible with the guidelines set in this religion. These are the basics of the religion and if people start arguing over the basics we will soon find ourselves going down the same root the Anglican church is going through where some people have tried to dilute(the already diluted) Bible and introduce gay clergy! You interpret things that you’re given scope to interpret; Things that require “Ijtehad”(endeavour) on the part of the scholars. But, to argue that a man walking around naked and mingling with homosexuals is a matter of interpretation and choice, therefore it’s ok, is even worse( and more worrying) than what this guy is doing!

Again, what he does as an individual is his choice and his alone, but what gets people to worry about such things and criticise them is not to judge the guy himself but to preserve the religion. Every time we see a Muslim in such a situation we have to remind each other that this is not the way things should be lest we all end up relaxing and accepting this as being OK. :mad:

Jumatatu   

Good Morning NGONGE pal..!

Again, what he does as an individual is his choice and his alone

Exactly..that is my point. What he is doing in BB has nothing to do with Islam and its principles. And BB is not a convention for people of diiferent religions to present their case. It is a low, degrading and worthless piece of entertainement. What am trying to stir away from Ngonge is to attach to Ahmed, though he claims to be, the Moslem religion. Which brings to my point and have to agree with you, is he hypocrit? Yes. So lets not make him a loss to us, but rather to himself.

But, to argue that a man walking around naked and mingling with homosexuals is a matter of interpretation and choice, therefore it’s ok, is even worse( and more worrying) than what this guy is doing!

Loooool...trust me bro i did not help him make that decission. Neither did I make the decission for the recent 'Slim-fast' posters appearing around London.As you say we are all sinners but there are those who realise their mistake and repent and those who slide forward to go astray. As in my first quote..it is their individual choice and responsibility.

NGONGE   

What he is doing in BB has nothing to do with Islam and its principles. And BB is not a convention for people of diiferent religions to present their case. It is a low, degrading and worthless piece of entertainement. What am trying to stir away from Ngonge is to attach to Ahmed, though he claims to be, the Moslem religion. Which brings to my point and have to agree with you, is he hypocrit? Yes. So lets not make him a loss to us, but rather to himself.

:mad:

Third time lucky?(lucky that I keep a copy, huh?)

Here is where we part ways. You’re trying to move away from the fact that he’s a Muslim while I’m basing my entire argument on that fact! See, it’s not this particular individual that I have a problem with(although I do of course), it’s the image he’s portraying. When we see such images of fellow “Muslims” we have to talk about them and make our views heard not condone them. We live in this environment. We have children that will grow up in this environment and many adults that think that such images are acceptable. In fact, your attitude is only slightly better than those who actually support him because he’s a SOMALI!

If we were living back in Somali or in a Muslim place I wouldn’t worry too much about this. I’d treat it as an isolated case of a confused Somali in gaalo lands. I’d know the society I live in would reject such images and banish them to the sidelines. But, we don’t live in Somalia, we live in the West. We don’t have the comfort or unity of a society to back us up when faced with such dilemmas. We have to scream and shout every time we see the Imans, Warses or this Ahmed. We have to remind our impressionable youth and ourselves that this is not the right way to go about doing things. The opportunities to educate and remind ourselves of our obligations and morals are usually rare. This is a perfect opportunity to tell our youth and lost adults NOT TO DO WHAT AHMED DOES.

Blessed   

^^ Your right, we shouldn’t act like Ahmed! But perhaps we should start acting like our ‘maryo weyn’ sisters, who condemn all to hell but at the same times lies, lies, and lies to the authorities to get her pay cheque. How about we teach them to sit in the marfesh like adeero Salax and let him teach the youth about the virtues of being a man. While, you’re at it, you might as well tell them to waste their years away in maqaaxis like inadeero Cali. Better still, why not hide some cans of beer and a few ‘roll ups’ and chill with the boys instead of going to schoo, maybe we can sit with our eedos and ayeeyos to learn the fine art of gossip………how about we go back home to our country and learn our deen and the virtue of our tribes and why it’s okay to kill and ridicule others............. .

Lets face it folks: We are a nation of hypocrites! We talk the talk but seldom walk it -- and Ahmed brought that reality HOME.

I don’t think that this is a rare opportunity to educate our youth and our self’s. We should be doing this 365 days a year as it’s an Islamic duty and neglecting it is like walking around the BB house naked.

:rolleyes:

An uninhibited show-off of a man who thinks he's an Italian is also stereotype of some Somalis.

I prefer the old qaxooti stereotype to this all-smiling and all-giggling *****

As far as i'm concerned from this moment: he is sawahili.

lol! Look on the bright side, if he remains freindly and boring. He'll soon be evicted!

Besides, Somalis do worse. If, I got a pound for the number of times, i took the time out to explain our Islaim limits to a none-Muslim and they responded with a 'well my friend Farax, isn't like that'.....

- I'd be a rich girl.

Jumatatu   

Here is where we part ways. You’re trying to move away from the fact that he’s a Muslim while I’m basing my entire argument on that fact!

Then lets also agree that Mike Tyson is a Muslim .Ngonge pal..he claims to be one.islam does not require you to be only verbally...but submission.Which brings me to my next question..if Ahmed was atheist and a Somali will your position have been different.

As for the youth and children the problem exists I agree with you but the influential factors are beyond the Imans, Waresis and Ahmeds. Sometimes the militancy in some of us encourage them,the youth and children, to burst out. Instilling in the mind of those growing that they have the best alternatives is better than threatening them with hell-fire if they cross the line.

NGONGE   

I agree that it should be done 365 days a year but we all know it’s not realistically possible to do so and even if it is, the constant repetition will put people off listening to the message or make them take it for granted. This would also apply to the examples you gave. But, lets say one of these ladies gets arrested for her lies, then you would have a perfect opportunity to remind people of how bad that practise is. The same applies to Jaat chewing guys going mad or beer drinking youth having driving accidents. It’s major occasions such as these that make people stop and take notice. Shrugging our shoulders and saying “it’s his choice” or “ we’re not perfect ourselves” hugely misses the point. :(

NGONGE   

Then lets also agree that Mike Tyson is a Muslim .Ngonge pal..he claims to be one.islam does not require you to be only verbally...but submission.Which brings me to my next question..if Ahmed was atheist and a Somali will your position have been different.

As for the youth and children the problem exists I agree with you but the influential factors are beyond the Imans, Waresis and Ahmeds. Sometimes the militancy in some of us encourage them,the youth and children, to burst out. Instilling in the mind of those growing that they have the best alternatives is better than threatening them with hell-fire if they cross the line.

If Ahmed was an atheist and a Somali I would still use the opportunity to remind myself and others of our religion.

With the youth, it’s not an argument of hell fire if you cross the line or anything of that sort. It’s just the simple facts that you and I take for granted. In an everyday way of talking and preaching to kids, you probably would mention all the basics and what is right or wrong. But no matter how hard you do it you can’t paint an exact picture of what you’re getting at. With our dear Ahmed here, you’ve got a talking, walking naked example that you could point at and say that’s a no no.

I’ve worked with many Somali kids in various youth clubs and despite spending most of their times in malcamdo and the like, they still have problems distinguishing between what is Islamiclly acceptable and what is not. It’s these examples that help us to explain and show them that they’re wrong and why they are wrong.

PS

Fortunately, not many people take Mike Tyson seriously. :rolleyes:

Blessed   

But, lets say one of these ladies gets arrested for her lies, then you would have a perfect opportunity to remind people of how bad that practise is.

Bad, because it'll get you in the nick or because it is forbidden in our deen to commit fruad or to lie and not to mention that it misrepresents Muslims.

Besides, My POINT was. Our daily actions and encounters are as bad if not worse than the actions of this Farax. Whilst, our youth are more likely to encounter the every day dilemas we turn a blind eye to (on a daily basis). The chance of having another Somali in the BB type of situation is pretty dim.

I'm not saying don't talk about him, and I don't deny that there is a lesson to be learnt from this show.....I am a little surprised that you are so shocked that a Somali behaves in such a way. You get sisters going half naked to Somali events - brothers drinking beer in Somali events. People commiting all sorts of sin and corruption on a daily basis with muslims and our children grow up with this.. Thinking that it is okay - unless something tragic happens :rolleyes:

They all have one thing in common = ignorance, lack of guidance and will to be true to their beliefs.. that is not something you sort out through a 5 minut converstaion about Ahmed in BB.

It takee everyday of the year - cos educating some1 is not only about lecturing them on the do's and don't of Islam - it's about showing the youth how it's done on a daily basis. sction speaks louder than words...

NGONGE   

It seems you and I are walking on the same road but on different sides! Wont you cross to my side? It’s much cooler in the shade you know.

I’m neither surprised nor shocked that this guy decided to go on this show. I’m sure thousands of other Somalis(and Muslims) thought of doing the same thing. I already said I agree that we should remind, teach and preach every single day of the year (ourselves and others). However, you underestimate the power the medium of Television has. I’m not particularly fussed with Ahmed but the fact that he’s a Muslim and he’s on TV makes him a focal point on which to remind ourselves of all that is going wrong with our Islamic(and Somali) societies. You’re right, talk alone is not enough, and action is also required. But, what sort of action? Doing the right thing and hoping people would follow? People need reminding, we all do. Allah(swt) did by sending us more than one messenger. In his holy book, he did not only ask us to submit and follow his commandments, he gave us examples, lessons and stories of people before us that either followed or didn’t and the things that happened to them as a consequence. When we need to explain to someone the ills of homosexuality, we mention “Qoom Loot”. We do that to force the point we’re making home. When we need to tell people about the virtues of patience we mention Nabi Ayuub,etc.

Now, in no way am I going to compare our feeble human endeavours to those of the All Mighty(swt), but if we follow the same logic and attempt to encapsulate the unfortunate state our Muslim(and Somali) world is in, wouldn’t Ahmed be the perfect example? Wouldn’t Iman or Warse be the same. Ahmed more so because he’ll be in our faces for at least another week.

:mad: