Sign in to follow this  
Che -Guevara

Colombia man 'jailed over grope'

A bicycle courier in Colombia has been given a four-year jail sentence for grabbing a woman pedestrian's bottom, a TV station has reported.

A judge's ruling - criticised by some as being too harsh - ruled the courier had committed an abusive sexual act.

Diana Marcela Diaz told RCN that the courier had cycled off after groping her, but had been caught by passers-by.

When he was arrested, she was given the option of slapping him, letting him go, or filing a complaint.

She had chosen to set a precedent that would stop sexist behaviour, she said.

RCN described the sentence as historic, but some lawyers condemned it as excessive.

A female member of the national ombudsman's office said the courier had only acted out of lust.

"He didn't use violence or commit a sexual act," she was quoted as saying.

Source: BBC.COM

Ok nomads, did punishment fit the crime?

-Lily-   

At the end, he was responsible for his actions, you dont see women groping men. It's your body and no one has the right to touch it without your permission. They should have scared him with a really long sentence, I doubt he would have re-offended. Should set a message to all future -would-be-gropers.

I think his punishment should have been to be groped in return, in public to humiliate him. One year of yor life seems a bit much.

Katrina   

Imagine how affective a treatment it would be for sexist behavior? Does he deserve what he gets? YES, otherwise the crime meant nothing. Anyway who determines what is considered a sexual act and isn't, society? He violated her body's right to privacy. Those poor south american women have to deal with sexist abuse day in and out, good for her. This should make the next quick fingers think before he grabs. I'm sure the judge knew what he/she was doing in imposing such a lengthy sentence. The message was sexist behavior will not be tolerated and long over due, too.

I can think of many faraxs who should appear in front of this judge.

Katrina   

Lily, you're thinking like a woman! What man wouldn't enjoy or get turned on by being groped in public. That's not a punishment, your rewarding him for bad behavior.

OK you guys taking it too far, We men take care and love our bodies as well :D although we dont act like it. Walahi it is funny when woman grope, although it happened once to me, and by a "respectable girl" ..i was like :eek: no she didnt. I didnt know when i disappeared. Anyways Chances are 80% of men would run from a lady who reached that far! who knows what she has that is the first thing on your mind'. Back to the point, it is wrong what that man did' But jailing him is too far' cuz every girl u bump into would take you to court...I say- maybe get couple of her brother to whoop him. few bruises and warnings would do the trick.

Originally posted by WaTerLily:

At the end, he was responsible for his actions, you dont see women groping men...

I think his punishment should have been to be groped in return, in public to humiliate him. One year of yor life seems a bit much.

Are you serious? Women groping men is not a crime. By that I mean no man would object to being groped by a woman. She must be good looking of course 'cause only Lord knows someone woman are so hard to look at one risks going deaf!

Laba-X   

Che' Look athe answers of the resident females here - When it comes to such issues women tend to take leave of their senses - they become illogical. Their judgement is clouded by sentiment!

Macsankor kutee!

Originally posted by Ahura:

Is that suppose to justify it?

If there is no offense, there is nothing needing justification now is there?

If I ruled the world I'd encourage women to grope, beat, abuse (physically, mentally and verbally) men. I would basically let them get away with everything (pilfering, murder, rape, lesbianism), I'd outlaw cliterectomy, no more female genital mutilation... but there is a catch! They forfeit the right to ref and play football (soccer). Have you seen women play football. Argh!!! I better not say anything I got enough people already chafed at me.

^^ There is one word for what you just wrote: Malaayacni. I feel like smacking you. I really do. :mad:

**Oh God..where's a a can of PEPSI, when you need it?**

STOIC   

The carnivorous did not deserved the harsh sentence, but Who in this 21st centuary gropes a woman in public?

A female member of the national ombudsman's office said the courier had only acted out of lust.

He should have got his senses back and aborted his excitement phase before the stimulation of his ecitement lead to his groping.Infact if I was the judge i will have sent the dude to sex therapy in order to curb his silly behavioural actions ;) .

STOIC, men grope women out of uncontrollable lust? Don't make me laugh. The eejits do it to harrass. Groping, wolf-whistles, suggestive and sexist comments at women are all forms of Street Harassment. Why should women accept it? A woman has every right to walk down the street without fear of being groped or sexually assaulted. Street harassment of women need to stop and the law needs to be brought up to date to protect them.

Although most of the comments on here are light humoured (inc mine), this is a serious issue that requires men to consciously think about what they do to women when they are out and about in public.

Zafir   

Ahura,

In that case then, women shouldn’t wear any revealing clothing, shouldn’t expose the desired part of their bodies, and absolutely no tight jeans. When women wear those clothes, all we see is yellow 4x4 stickies in bold letters saying “grope me now fast, grope me now or neverâ€. Drop ‘m clothes and we promise NO groping anywhere in public. :D:D