Sign in to follow this  
NGONGE

Somali national dress

Asalaamu'Calaykum,

Man I can't get enough of them. I absolutely love them. How the hell can there be a Somali culture with our them :( ??!!! not possible. I just bought a new one today :D .

Anyway unlike you NGONGE the thing i admire the most about our beautiful duruuc is the fact that everyone can wear it, young and old. Trust me I've been to a few ajinebi weddings mate, and the only people that wear anything remotly respresting their culture are the old folks. Where as with us it’s the opposite. We all wear it and we all look absolutely magnificent in it if I do say so myself. I think the only down fall to it is how much we pay for, considering that we can't wear it to more than one wedding lol. I even love durruca sheedka (or baati) so comfortable man. And great to wear when you’re cleaning or cooking or even just lounging about.

Wasalaam

Blessed   

^^ I agree! And I think any sister that is 'hijab concious' would find ways of making sure that her bits aren;t in display.. by either wearing an opaque shawl or a cabaayad when in the company of non-mahrams.

I really like the 'kurdad' and 'toob' thing and think that it can be turned into an everyday dress if the correct the fabrics are used.

Today, I'm wearing my shades, my old creased Macawis and because it's cold, I'm wearing my red football socks.

Very nice... where do you hang out so I can take a few pics :D Sandals are nice with macawis! But I wouldn't ecourage brothers to roam the streets with macawiiso.

^^ Heaven forbid!!

Thats not a sight that should be shared with all and sundry...just da special ones at home. Boys...da macwiis is for inside the HOUSE. ;)

Caano Geel,

C'mon now, the garment doesnt have to be ironed, but HE has to be. smile.gif

NGONGE,

Might you be the first Somali man to complain about the 'revealingness' of the trusted dirac? :D

NGONGE   

Barwaaqo,it’s a childhood affliction. I once saw an old lady wearing a revealing Dirac and have been scared with that image ever since.

A Dirac really is nothing but a pyjama that I wouldn’t recommend to wear outside (or at home, knowing our friendly Somali culture).

As for not wanting to see something revealing, bodies are not revealing to me, I live in the West and I see naked women walking the streets every single day. What I really find revealing are “eyes”. When a woman looks me straight in the eyes is when I start to worry. In fact, I fall in love with every woman that looks me in the eyes. Luckily for my heart and sanity, I learned to lower my gaze (and then I see that darn Dirac!).

:mad: