Sign in to follow this  
Arawella

Existing and potential homeowners

Arawella   

Asalam,

I intend to be a property owner albeit a small one in the near future. My ambition since receiving my first near decent pay was to save and invest to purchase my dream home, needless to say that most of the earnings were spent trivially.

However, I am wiser and ready to step on the ever elusive property ladder. I have researched, read various articles and even watched property programmes yet the process remains daunting.

I am interested to know the opinions of Somalis in particular those owning a house(s) in a foreign country. If you have purchased or intend to do so what hot tips can you offer? What were your experience(s) during the purchase process? How did you sift through the garbage to obtain the most competitive mortgage deal and perfect home? Would you say it’s a better investment to purchase a ready to move in to property rather than one with a lower price albeit requiring further work?

These are the list of questions you should think about.

1) When was the property built?

2) Any known natural disaster, or flooding that could have affected the foundation of the home?

3) Increase in property Value in the past 5-10 years?

4) How accessible is the area from the freeway?

5) How are the neighbours and the neighbourhood? The best time to shop for a home is in March and April, you will get a chance to see the type of people that live in the area more.

5) Depending on how old the house is, you might have to do alot of rewiring, changing the water heater and the air ventilation.

6) If there is an attic, you should ask about any infestations of animals such as Raccoons, Squirrels or any type of rodents.

7) The appliances in the home, the older they are the more money it will cost you to replace them.

8) Be prepared to get tricked but you can minimize how much you get tricked by going in with very high expectations and walking away with what you wanted to begin with, without having to spend more money.

Hope that helps, if you have any other questions, you can hit me up. :D