Sign in to follow this  
Coloow

a-z of somali female names!

Faheema.   

Knowing Somalis, they probably came up with those names after they encountered different types of Somali Woman. Particularly with the names below

Qorraxo: Kolay siday qoraxda u taagnayd ayaan taa magacaa lagu dhajiyey

Raagsan: Marka sariibada loo diro way raagi jirtay, saa la idhi naa tani waa raagsan

Raaxo: Ala raaxo jecelaa, mise wax kalay u jeedeen?

Saluugla: Waa mid aan waxba saluugin

Subkan: Dhalaal keedi badnaaba ayaa la idhi naa tani talow ma subagay isla dhacdaa?

Taliso: Wax uun u tali baa la idhi ragna ha ahaa tee

Timiro: Rabadaan iyo rabadaan la’aan timir afka kamay qaadi jirin

Udgoon: Uunsigii aduunka ayey habeen iyo maalin hoos istaagi jirtay

Warla: War ba waa laga waayey

Wiilo: too much of a tomboy

Xalwo: ala intee la idhi xalwada iska kala daa

Yuusa: the name says it all

Matkey   

Kaabo, Shumeey is definitely a good name. Shumeey shumac ka nuurto yaa heli kare smile.gif I think you forgot Caraweelo. I don't know if that is a real name, but i have heard it from somewhere.

Coloow   

Jamaal: You are right I forgot Ugbaad..but Asli is an arabic name...I think I forgot Isniino and axado too

Matkey: Shumeey , is indeed a good name...just like the riwaayadii shan ito tobankii shumeey smile.gif

Shuun (xaaji xeyraan) is another good name in that category!

smile.gif

Stockholm: Jo, da! Denna gubbe speaks some few weird languages!

Oocyte   

What a beautiful and Original Somali Names! You can add "Libin" in the list too.

Shayma;

Raagsan(ama Raage) waa ubadka uurka hooyo ku daahay!

Salaan...

Originally posted by Entrepreneur:

Abshiro Ammaan Amran Askaro Axado Basro Bishaaro, Cajabo Canab Carfoon Carwo Cawrala Culimmo Dahabo Dawo Farax Fariido Farxiyo, Hibo Idman Iimaan Ilwaad Isniino Jamaad Jawaahir Kaaho {Kaa-Ha} Khadro Khayrto Luul Naadiyo Nafiso Naruuro Nuurto Raalliyo Raaqiyo Raaxo Rummaan Saafi, Salaado Samawado Saxarla Suleekho Ugaaso Umal Xalwo Xorriyo Xukun Farxado Duco

Long as I love seeing a girl named after a good traditional Soomaali name, however those names I quoted above aren't really Soomaali names, but rather a Soomaalized Carabi names. Take for example Khadra or Jawaahir or Raaxo or even Xoriyo. All those are Soomaalized Carabi or Muslim names. However, it is really good to see some true, real pretty Soomaali names out there, like Haboon, Ladan, Idil iyo Hodan.

Macsalaama!!

La-y-La   

"Also my name starts with "M" and is not not Arabic name is international name can be somali too coz my great great grand ma named that name"

Og_girl could ur name be maria hence being international like u said, or munira, maryan, miliqla,lol, maogto, now thats a good name, just kidding there, but thats all the M names i could come up with.

warmoog is also a name that just explains itself, i wouldnt wanna be named tat though.

what about ceeblo, saxarlo, suuban, sirley and samawado. i know this lady who used to go to dugsi with me and her name, i cant mention,it starts wit S., figure it out urself. All i know is that every time ma macalin called her name, he used to look down and yell at us for snickering. i cant believe some ppl would name their daughters such names, la ilaah ila laah.

peace.

Coloow   

Miskiin Macruuf akhyaar, widaayow Raaxo and xorriyo are somali names.....but you are right some names sound arabic

Najmah: saxarle and the rest of the names you mentioned are in the list above.

Mirage   

Gosh i have never heard of such ugly revolting unattractive names in my life, seriously who would name their daughter FAAYNUUS

What dreadful name , i am not being cold and heartless as my proposition makes me sound, but

Entrepreneur, by any chance were you under the influences of jaad when you were posting this????

Coloow   

Dhibleeey lol@@@under the influence of Jaad (waad iga qosolsiisay)!

By the way I forgot to add Dhibleey as one of the original names!

ENT: I know where my name came from, I explain that every day..but as you know is widely used in Somali naming system..and it's about time people give us our somali citizenship..I ain't no Italy chic!

Techboy : it's weird a beloved father would ever give such names to his daughters!

Ma3soma : "Invited"

Maqsoda: "Meant to be"

it's weird!

ENT: I know where my name came from, I explain that every day..but as you know is widely used in Somali naming system..and it's about time people give us our somali citizenship..I ain't no Italy chic!

Techboy : it's weird a beloved father would ever give such names to his daughters!

Ma3soma : "Invited"

Maqsoda: "Meant to be"

it's weird!

Curly   

You might as well go and call yourself Umpalumpa, YUCK! :eek:

Walahi if my parents called me any of those names (no offence intended) I’d first disown them (they obviously hate me :( , for them to do something like that??!!) and then I’d change my name at the post office for £5.99

:D

And then I’d be Penelope Stardust (only joking!) :D;)

Gediid   

Surprised that some people here find original Somali names "revolting".

I personally think they are beautiful. smile.gifsmile.gif