Sign in to follow this  
Coloow

a-z of somali female names!

Curly   

Gediid I wouldn’t say revolting it’s more like erm… abhorrent and repulsive, No honestly I think We should stick with muslim names, they’re universal and they’re meaningful. What more do you want?

Actually it’s your right to have a name with an Islamic background and meaning, rather than old-fashioned Somali name. What does that say about your self? (I’m a FAD?)

Coloow   

Mizz Unique...yes Calasey thanks...It is a wonderful name...I remember a woman called calasey back in somalia who was my landlady (How did I forget her?)

Sue: I think somali names are better than arabic names. It differentiate somalis from the 0ne billion muslims. I don't mind having an arabic first name but a somali surname would definately be a welcome thing.

If only you knew the meaning of some name, you wouldn't have said they were "nasty"!

May I call you Cambaro (amber)? or Qaali (dear)? instead of the wacko nickname you have?

MD   

WOW cool names :cool: You hardly see people with those names

by the way entr isn't cambaro an arabic name

Senora   

Originally posted by Entrepreneur:

I think somali names are better than arabic names. It differentiate somalis from the 0ne billion muslims. I don't mind having an arabic first name but a somali surname would definately be a welcome thing.

Better??Well i guess thats your opinion

...To be honest I find the arabic names and to a certain extent the so called muslim names "very ugly" but that is my judgement.

UGLY!!![b/]...well maybe your just talking about a few of those other muslim names....speaking of muslim, why are you guys referring to the arabic or the other non-descending somali names as the "muslim names"...what doesnt make somali names muslim?? :confused:

Originally posted by Entrepreneur:

If only you knew the meaning of some name, you wouldn't have said they were "nasty"!

well im pretty sure you know the names of some of arabic ones....but maybe if you paid a little more attention to them, you wouldnt have said they were UGLY as well.....

im only being a bit defensive here b/c my name is arabic, and though i admire your love for the somalian names...dont put other names down....though they may not have originated in Somalia, like my name, they were adopted by the somalians, and other nationalities as well.....especially my name...this white girl i knew a couple of years ago had my name, though it wasnt spelled the same...but her mother loved the name and gave it to her daugter....but anyways, dont be so quick to knock-down those ( what do u call them..) "muslim names"

Ariadne   

^^^One question: how is he knocking down muslim names when he didn't say anything bad about Muslim names? the poster just stated his preference for Somali names. Everyone has their preferences so let them be.

Senora   

Originally posted by Pyromaniac_Pixie:

^^^One question: how is he knocking down muslim names when he didn't say anything bad about Muslim names?

Actually he did...he said that he found the arabic names to be ugly.........and that the somalian names were BETTER than the arabic ones.....of course everyone has their own preferences....but theirs a difference between preferring a name, as opposed to saying that certain names are better than others OR certain names are just plain ugly.....

Ariadne   

Actually he did...he said that he found the arabic names to be ugly.........and that the somalian names were BETTER than the arabic ones.....

better, nicer, prettier...more unique, more beautiful. If someone has a preference for something over something else(in this case Somali names over Arabic names) they usaully think its better or nicer

of course everyone has their own preferences....but theirs a difference between
preferring
a name, as opposed to saying that certain names are better than others.....

No, there isn't think long and hard on it...its the same thing

That's the beauty of preference. When someone has a preference for something they usaully think its better than whatever is the competition.

OR certain names are just plain ugly

preference is apart of opinion. You seem like a smart person so no need to explain

Coloow   

Pyromaniac-sexy(wuxu magac adkaa!) May I call you " Suuban"?

In my simple and humble opinion no name beats good old somali names. Yes, I despise arabic names despite having one myself...I have been to the local tax office in my town to change my arabic sounding name to somali- but NADA...

We somalis are trendy when it comes to names. Look at the old muslim/arabic names such as Muslima, Halimo, Fadumo, Habibo etc..///they are endangoured! Nowadays, we have somali girls whose names are Hannah, najma,Nadiya which are names from the middle east (both jews and muslims use those three names-thus they are not islamic names)

Ariadne   

Princess sexy and I aren't the same person. My name was in the list, I like my name. So you might want to address her only.

Coloow   

Rudy I would name you after my great paternal uncles "buuf gereed, mala, fulamo,)or "boodboode" if you are a man, or "Carfoon, abaay" if you are a woman! smile.gifsmile.gif

Senora   

Originally posted by Pyromaniac_Pixie:

quote: Actually he did...he said that he found the arabic names to be ugly.........and that the somalian names were BETTER than the arabic ones.....

better, nicer, prettier...more unique, more beautiful. If someone has a preference for something over something else(in this case Somali names over Arabic names) they usaully think its better or nicer

of course everyone has their own preferences....but theirs a difference between
preferring a name, as opposed to saying that certain names are better than others.....

No, there isn't think long and hard on it...its the same thing

That's the beauty of preference. When someone has a preference for something they usaully think its better than whatever is the competition.

OR certain names are just plain ugly

preference is apart of opinion. You seem like a smart person so no need to explain
Your absolutely right.....that was a mistake on my part....so no use in bickering over that anymore....but going back to what you said earlier about Entreprenuer not saying anything "bad" about the arabic names......i guess its just me then...but calling my name( whether its "endangered" or not), and over half of my relatives names "ugly" is pretty objectionable...but like i said, i guess its just me :confused: ....and merely advising Entreprenuer that "maybe he shouldnt be so quick to down-play" these "old & traditional" names, shouldnt be as repugnant on your part......... smile.gif

but no hard feelings, like you said...everyone is entitled tp their opinion...or in this case "preference"

Nailah   

your list is beautiful, the names are beautiful, even though my name wasnt posted up there, but it came close

saado

"suado" see the realition?? lol, its almost the same