Sign in to follow this  
- Femme -

Disease labels

^ :D

bracelet.gif

So, now the question is, WHY?

How many people have I heard that claim since their parents spanked them when they were little...they got traumatised and seek endless therapy to work out their problems. Excuse me? Spanking? Oh boy. I wish they had somali parents...not only can you parents beat you within an inch of your life...but so could your relatives, neighbours, teachers when you deserved it. I didnt get traumaticed. Neither did the majority of people.

Surely everyone has problems in life....but what makes some more resilient than others (when race & class are accounted for)?

Baluug   

It's not just Somalia, either...Any so-called "third world country" goes by the same value...It's called "respecting authority". But the problem is that some people abuse their authority and people started to believe that if they took away that authority, the problem would be solved. You just have to look at how much power has been taken away from authority figures in recent years...Police can't even hold child hookers for more than 72 hours, I believe. Teachers can't discipline unruly children in their class for fear that they may be sued by the parents or the police may arrest them for child abuse. Hell, parents can hardly even discipline their children anymore. If there's a few bad apples, in which every society has, that doesn't mean that authority should be stripped from everyone. Giving kids all the power is not the answer. After all, if we are not allowed to give them proper guidance, who will?

Tuujiye   

Femme don't ask your self questions like that.. Hadii kale mukulaal gaajo heyso ayaa u ekaaneysaa.. let things be my sista..just let it be........

Wareer Badanaa!!!

Tahliil   

On the light side then, the very light, ultra light side of things then one can conclude from this friendly thread his honest and humble assertion that some of us are stuck in old times and traditions…that the new discoveries and progress in the science of human behavior and other aspects of our lives is totally unacceptable proposition or bargain to allow…

I think we are forgetting and rejecting and totally ejecting from the discussion a very basic concept: that we evolve…and change and grow and learn more…that we discover and explore new things and facts as we live on and that we have to adjust to the progress made and growth gained instead of dismissing them flatly like that…I think being stuck in old ways of doing things, reminiscing and romanticizing about certain things in the past, contrary to the facts and researches available, is a sort of disorder itself….

An uncle of mine believes that anyone who prays in their shoes, no matter what the circumstances are, he says they are wrong and it is illegal to do that…I think he probably needs help…he is stuck in an old chapter of his life…and that is a form of disorder in this new world... right?

Castro   

^ Tahliil-eey, waa lagaa dhex hadlayaa inaadeer. The views you hold are unbecoming a Somali. You need to exorcise your demons. Have a few sheikhs spit in your tea, add a couple of frog legs, a Mongolian spider, an embryo of a bat and some old man's pubic hair. Boil that potion for 5 minutes then bathe in it. You should then be cured of the illness you're suffering from and should start talking the nonsense the rest of your kin are talking.

Tahliil   

this is an other eposide of "when keepin it real goes wrong"...strange..right now am lookin for an exit from this bewildrement...

Castro,

Hmmm. I'm not sure who your poking fun at...I'm guessing its me. Listen mental illness exists. Yes, I agree. But so does pseudo-illness and haried pple running amok full of drugs and what not. Incompetent doctors and money hungry pharmecuetical companies more often than not backed my the governemt. We have peope suffering from the 'med student syndrome' diagnosing themselves and thinking their problems should be categorized as diseases. Those people are coming to far outnumber those with real issues! Ma fahantey?

Its definitely not healthy and we shouldnt support it. When you give the control to someone outside yourself and look for relief in medical labels...then you basically give up or stick your head in the sand.

Castro   

^ Atheer, I wasn't poking fun at you. The mockery was aimed at how we Somalis, generally, view mental illness.

For you, I was hoping you'd share with me (and us) where you get this idea from. Is there research you read? Personal experience? Anecdotal evidence you ran into? A study of some sort? A TV program? A website? Something, anything to show there is more and more fake illnesses coming up. I was further hoping to make this important topic last a little longer than the usual superficial discussion and into something educational and informative.

Tahliil, didn't mean to scare you or anything. I've a weird and crude sense of humor that's unpopular around here. You'll catch on. By the way, I love that Chappelle "keepin it real" thing. :D

Oocyte   

Castro,

lol ..waxaad iloowdey dhiiggii xoolaha lagu qubeysan jiray si cudur looga dawoobo, intii kale sheegtey. :D

Femme,

mental diseases do exist (ADHD etc) and no they are not made up by incompetent doctors or hungry pharm companies. Having the magic cure for them is different story but at least acknowlegment is step forward to future therapy. Besides pills are not the only solution for many mental illnesses but behavior and pycho therapy plays big factors as well.

About the spanking, we may have been traumatized by it. Ever thought that it could be whats causing the chaos back home for the last 15 yrs since Somalis are/were violent natured people? Parents dont even know simple easy ways to explain things to their kids... its mostly with angry tone, curse words and "ul".