Sign in to follow this  
Baluug

Next stop on my world tour AKA get out of this dump called Alberta for 2 weeks

Somalina   

I live in supernatural British Columbia now Oz and if Baluug wants to go fishing or hiking then I will be his host fosho.

MMA shame on you, since you are the mayor of Toronto. icon_razz.gif

Juxa   

NINA in my opinion you live best island on earth, having visited quite few times, i fell in love with BC each and every time!

Somalina   

Yeah I know! It is a great place, not only that but the people are friendly and laid back unlike Ontario and Alberta. Do you just visit Vancouver or you have been to other places? next time you come here plan a 4 day trip to Tofino. Whenever I go there, I come back relaxed and 10 yrs younger. lol

Malika   

^Really,how many times have you been there? Dee marka waxaad tahay gabadh yar[for sheding ten years every time you go]..Lol

I love Canada - in the summer times. icon_razz.gif

ps.Tofino waa meel quruux badaan..is noted for the next time am up there.

Somalina   

:D:D fountain of youth waaye meeshaas Malika, no need for botox injections. lol

I have been there 7 times, and I still can't get enough of it! oh my!

I love BC!

Baluug   

Yes for sure BC is nice, just don't drive through the mountains in the winter without a good roadside assistance program like CAA, I learned the hard way.

Anyways, I'm back in good old Calgary again, I think I might take the kids with me to Toronto next year insha Allah

Baluug   

Well today I'm busy because I'm driving out to see the kids who are staying with their ayeeyo and awoowe, they're spending the summer out there. It's funny how I'll go from a city of 5 million people to a town with only 200 people in 2 days LOL but sometime this weekend insha Allah I'll have my report on your desk icon_razz.gif It'll be a comparative study between Toronto and London, now that I've seen both places.

Baluug   

Alright, let's see, I accomplished most of what i wanted to do in Toronto. It's not like I had many things on my checklist anyways, I just went there because I had never been there before and I wanted to see if it really is as good as everyone says it is, and I guess I'd have to agree.

I managed to see the Hockey Hall of Fame with our good friend Pucca, I went to a Blue jays game(and they actually won, which was good as well LOL) I did a lot of driving through the west end which is where i spent most of my time and managed to eat at as many maqaayads and mac-macaankas as possible as well as other halal joints and also hung out in some shiisha places and saw some Somali singers as well(starstruck LOL) and also went to a ruwayad, but that kinda sucked because only about 50 people showed up. That was the kind of party I'd expect in Edmonton, not Toronto. Other than that, I spent a lot of time walking and driving around downtown Toronto, went to Missisauga a couple times and just generally exploring. I seriously wouldn't mind moving there, but I have a good job in Calgary that i don't think I would find in Toronto for the same amount of money, plus my parents are out here. Maybe in the future insha Allah.

I know quite a few more nomads in London and know them very well and even distantly related to one of them, so I won't be upset that more of the Toronto nomads didn't come out to see me like they welcomed me in London, but it would've been nice to have met some of you, maybe next time insha Allah.

As for Toronto vs. London....

Public transit - London wins hands down. My experience with the London underground was miles ahead of the sweaty, smelly, sardine can-like atmosphere of the Toronto subway. It might have been due to the fact that there was a heat wave that week, but one ride on the subway and after that, I said no more LOL Plus, London has double-decker buses!

Leisure/nightlife - Obviously as a Muslim, my options are limited LOL but I kind of preferred the shiisha places in Toronto over the ones in London due to the fact they weren't as crowded and obviously because I can smoke shiisha indoors. Kinda funny that I can smoke shiisha inside, but i have to go outside for a cigarette, but whatever icon_razz.gif

Overall livability and atmosphere - both places obviously are crowded metropolises with the usual problems like crime, pollution, traffic, etc. so not much difference when you look at the big picture, but there are some subtle differences that do make a difference. For example, I liked the fact that in Toronto, when I turned on the hot water tap, I actually got hot water :D I just couldn't understand how to drive on the left side of the road in England, it's like living in an alternate universe when you get on the road. One look at that, and I said there's no way I'm gonna even try to drive in London. Also the roads are wider in Canada. Plus there's also the fact that gas and cigarettes were cheaper in Toronto.

Altogether, I have to say that London and Toronto are both great places and I would have no problem living in either city, but i'm Canadian and this is where my heart belongs so Toronto is the clear winner. :D

Somalina   

Toronto is a clear winner! lol@hot water

Have you been to the Beaches? or Woodbine beach? It is nice to go just before sunset to take breathtaking pictures or stroll along the boardwalk while eating ice cream. smile.gif

20090922-Toronto_Beach.jpg

2658553676_55b51496f9.jpg

0-toronto_master.jpg

beach.jpg

dp1812488.jpg

Also, did you go to Niagara Falls? It is only 1 hr drive from Toronto.

niagara-falls.jpg.

If you haven't, then you've missed out a great opportunity to see one of the natural wonders of the world?

N.O.R.F   

Baluug, I can't believe that was your first time in Toronto :D

Glad it was a good holiday and reer Toronto will never be like reer London when it comes to welcoming marti icon_razz.gif

Kinda funny that I can smoke shiisha inside, but i have to go outside for a cigarette

Thats just criminal :D

Juxa   

baluug i am glad you had great time and my girl pucca came through. she is special little live wire is she not?

obviously london nomads are the best when it comes to hosting, but we cant compete with the hot water :D

i used to frequent in lakeshore with ice cream, nice place to to but why did you not visit niagara falls?