Sign in to follow this  
Che -Guevara

Tribute to Stella

300h.jpg

The last departing train signaled to Stella May Brown Weaco that it was time to leave South Station, where she lingered each night before heading out for her solitary walk along city streets. In wilting humidity and bitter blizzards, she pushed a carriage with her belongings on a migratory route through Boston's nocturnal neighborhoods.

I remember seeing her on the coldest, snowiest night you could imagine," said Dr. Jim O'Connell, president of Boston Health Care for the Homeless, who first encountered Stella in 1985. "We would be frightened for her health, but she would politely decline our offers to take her someplace to spend the night. She was robust in the true sense of the word."

No tally is kept of who spends the most time homeless. By any measure, though, Stella was unusual, say those who offered her meals and medical care since the early 1980s. For safety reasons alone, homeless women often accept offers of shelter. Stella didn't. She spent 25 years, maybe more, on Boston's streets at night.

Boston

She was robust in the true sense of the word."

Perhaps,a shelter is not what she needed,she probably needed to be admitted to a mental institute.

Which anyway brings me to this, I was listening to something on the radio,some homeless shelter groups,have started taking over the forclosed houses and started using it for shelter. There argument,is,it is empty,why not put it to good use?

Whats your thoughts?

Matching homeless people with people-less homes

^I think it is bad idea since it would bring criminality and dessimate neighborhoods, and not mention property values down for those residents that could afford to pay mortgages.

I do appreciate these days are difficult times, but I think there needs to be holistic approach rather finding quick fixes. Boston is relative better in dealing with foreclosures than elsewhere. But this could be we don't have much land to spare, and hence the city, the state or NGO's buy foreclosed to make for afforbale housing. There is an oppurtinity for squittors to move in.

This is no good answer to homelessness.