LondonGuy

Help for an LGBT kid in Somalia?

Hello

I've been contacted on Twitter by a young guy (19) living in Hargeisa. He says he is gay, that his family has found out and that they are making his life hell. He doesn't leave the house because he is afraid he will be arrested or even killed by people in the street. He wants to escape and travel to study in the US or UK, but doesn't know how to do this.

It sounds to me like he might have a reasonable chance of being able to claim asylum in this country because of persecution for being gay. However, I have no idea how he could go about doing this. To get to the UK, he would need a visa (e.g. tourist or student visa) which he would need to travel to Addis Ababa to get, I am told.

Basically I'm ignorant about all this, and I want to advise him how he can best help himself. I'm not in a position to sponsor/support him financially myself but he seems not to know much about his options.

If someone can tell me of any LGBT groups in Somaliland (if there are any!) that he could contact, that would be great. If you have some ideas about what he could or should do, those would also be very welcome!

Thank you

Tom

(London, UK)

Oodweyne   

Naxli nadal dhashay. Bal wuxuu la yimid kani eega. Kuye, Hargeisa ayaa mid reer qoomu-loot ahi igala soo xidhiidhay. Yaa u sheegay in uu isaga lasoo xidhiidho. Kaba sii darane, magac Ingiriis oo Tom layidhaahdo ayuu soo qaatey, anoo og in uu yahay Soomaali aan biyo ismarin oo waliba ah reerka Ilma F-aqash ee aanu hoos iskaga tuurka anaga oo Somaliland ah iyo iyaga naga dhaxeysa.

Waakaas, Soomaaligii Ina-Gumeedka ahaa. Oo marka ay wax iska celin waayaan, oo dood rageed ama gacan-rageed, ay "duriyadda" ama Somaliland wax kaga qaadi waayaan, ayey shaadh kale soo xidhaan. Oo yidhaahdaan, LGBT, baa Hargeisa igala soo xidhiidhey. Si ay burusheeyn iyo ceebeyn ay Somaliland ula daba taagnaadaan.

Waakaas, Ina-Gumeednimo asal ahi. Oo ah marka ay rag kheyrkooda ah oo iyaga oo kale ah ay iska celin kari waayaan, ayey hadal naxli ah oo ay ku ciil-baxaan, oo deelqaaf liita ah, ayey la daba yimaadaan, ragaas karbaashey. 

I perhaps wasn't clear. I'm British, and was just randomly contacted on Twitter because I'm openly gay myself. I don't speak Somali, but Google Translate's best attempt at translating your message suggests that you think I'm faking it and that I am in fact the Somali kid myself?

I'm not. I'm just trying to help him and I don't know very much at all about Somalia or Somaliland so I'm trying to find some kind Somalis who will offer some advice.

Thank you!

Oodweyne   

^^^^

Sure, mate, whatever floats your boat. But, still, may I suggest to you to pull the other one. It may come with belts on!

2 minutes ago, Oodweyne said:

^^^^

Sure, mate, whatever floats your boat. But, still, may I suggest to you to pull the other one. It may come with belts on!

I'm really not Somali. I'm very, very English and white. Like, embarrassingly so.

But... even if I were the guy I'm talking about, what would be your advice?

Oodweyne   

^^^

We get the gist of the tendentious "game" in which you are playing here, mate. Hence, better luck with your next pseudo-faux concern for non-existent fellow with penchant for the sordid act of "male buggery", who in turn is allegedly contacting you (a total stranger) from the blue moon, and doing it so from dear old Hargeisa.

Consequently, you may not care that much to be actually exposed in this way, particularly in the sense of the cheap "charlatanry conceit" in which you are trying to pull in here. But some of us actually know that city in which its honorable reputation you so cavalierly besmirching in here, mate, So, we don't take lightly to such ugly insinuation on anyone's part. Thank you very much. Good day, mate.  

Apophis   

Yeah sure. I can get the little bugger out of there. But I’ll need £10k sent through western union.

Oodweyne   

Hey Londonguy,

Well, on second thought, let me say, that, your wholly unconvincing malarkey of a story read like one of those internet sensation about the some Nigerian's e-mail chancers.

You know the ones I am talking about, right? Which is those random E-mail missives in which you get from time to time from some lips-smacking-spiv or some such grifter, out there in the boondocks of the Nigerian's cities, telling you that he is sitting on a some loot of no less than million quid. Which in turn was stolen by his great uncle twice-removed from his mother's side. And therefore, all he is looking for now is your bank account in the West, to allegedly, deposit the money there, so that you two could do half-half sort of a split of the misbegotten loot.

Hence, the first moment I have read this nonsensical screech of yours, not only did I smelled outrageous fishy story in here, but I thought that of all the things you could concoct it (from thin air) just to take the piss at Somaliland's expense must this be what you should settled for, mate? Is that, really, the sum of your furtive imagination? 

• Haha - That was funny. You made me laugh! 1

Oodweyne   
15 minutes ago, LondonGuy said:

Thanks for your homophobia. Anyone else want to say anything more constructive?

Now, come of it, dear lad. Don't go on to "feigned" that sort of a cheap faux of some sort of "injured honor", since, allegedly, you are one of these sort of "shirt-lifting-creatures", in which, by the way, I don't believe a word of it.

Hence, remember when I have told you few post back, that, you should really pull the other one, since it may have "belts on". Well, I think, you should heed that advise. And then tell us another absurd story of similar perversity, which in turn will delight and horrify us in equal measure.

But this one about some kid in Hargeisa, practicing that "unspeakable revolting act", in which you are alleging in here, well, all I can say is that this one is as "believable" as the tooth fairies sort of stuff, mate.