Sign in to follow this  
Kool_Kat

Cop tickets a woman in labour!!!

Pucca   

Originally posted by -Serenity-:

I'm completely and utterly shocked that americans and canadians pay for their ambulance service! :eek:

Im shocked that there's actually free ambulance service somewhere :eek:

hmm, i wonder if we get billed for callin the fire department to save my burning house. We probably do, and i suppose the same would be for callin the police..unless you ofcourse die before they get to you (then your family get billed).

Gotta love canada eh?

Originally posted by -Serenity-:

I'm completely and utterly shocked that americans and canadians pay for their ambulance service! :eek:

It is a policy whose official intention was and is to discourage abuses and such of the system. It is an understandable since an ambulance is not a taxi. Besides, those who are billed only pay as little as almost one-sixth of the original payment charged.

Here, Toronto Emergercy Medical Services explains itself:

Why am I receiving a bill for ambulance service; isn’t the service free?

No. Service isn’t free, but the majority of your ambulance bill is covered by the provincial Health Insurance Plan (O.H.I.P.)*. When transported in a licensed ambulance, Ontario residents receive a bill only for that portion of the bill that is not covered by your health insurance. This fee is normally $45.00.

How much does ambulance service cost?

Normal land ambulance costs are billed at a rate of $240.00, of which all but $45.00 is covered by your provincial health insurance.

I am covered by O.H.I.P., but received a bill for $240.00. Why?

O.H.I.P. insures ambulance transportation only for those trips that are medically essential. The hospital to which you were transported makes the determination as to whether your ambulance trip was medically necessary. If the doctor decides that you could have made your way to hospital by another means, you will be billed for the full amount of the ambulance bill. This is necessary in order to ensure that the system is not abused, and that the service is available to those who really need it.

*OHIP is universally funded public healthcare in Ontario and it is free and every legal resident of the province has it.

Aaliyyah   

unless you ofcourse die before they get to you (then your family get billed).

ouch Pucca did you have to mention that, now what they must think of us :D

MMA you are right I think we only paid 50 dollars when we called one for my lil bro. So, it wasn't that expensive. I think overall it's fair that you pay for it, and hey we got free health care. We certainly can not complain.Alhmadulilah.

Kool_Kat   

Reer UK suuraha naga yareeya hee...For people who have payphones in their homes maa hada layaabaayo being charged for ambulance service! C'mon now... icon_razz.gificon_razz.gif

DD, ar iska imoow, hadaa ambulance u baahato waalaguu wacaa, magac been aan siinee... :D

Ms DD   

loooool@payphones

Walle waxaa i soo xasuusisey xeryahii kenya.

We dont have payphones in the house. Yaa kuu sheegay faatadhugtaas?.

Pucca   

this free healthcare stuff isnt worth much if i have to pay to get my eyes checked. Seriously, whats healthcare without free FULL checkups (that include the dentist and the optometrist)?

i'd be even happier if OHIP covered half the cost of my glasses/contacts.

*sigh* wishful thinking eh

Miriam1   

It makes sense though, people call an ambulance for the silliest things. Unless your unconcious or in the middle of some fit. Get a TAXI or RIDE!

weaklings...

Aaliyyah   

^^Well you can not generalize, most ppl call it when they think they're in a serious position. Come on if your luved one got hurt, it might not be that serious (like my lil brother one day somhow got caught in a glass and he was bleeding all over the place...so my dad called an ambulance for him cuz he didnt know how deep the glass went...)bt you might not think its serious afterwards but at that time how do u know ...the first thing u think abt would be ..call an ambulance. Anyhow, am not complaining about that small fee. They do deserve it after all. My heart goes out to those who drive the ambulances their job must be stressful...so that 50 dollars wont hurt no one. Between, how often do we have a need for one? once in a while right alhmadulilah..no big deal!!

salaam

Pucca   

its alwyas half-empty dearest...its just fancy talk when people say 'half-full'. But i do appreciate this land, i love canada...but that doesnt stop me from wishing for more.

Kool_Kat   

If one is diabetic eye check-ups are still free of charge...There is still some consideration there... :D

I don't mind paying for eye check-up or dental, as long as I get basic health coverage - which OHIP covers a lot more than basic...Besides it is not like one needs go to the optometrist/dentist often...AND if you have extended coverage through your employer/spouse/parent/school (I think schools still offer this), 80% of dental charges are covered on most plans...So it isn't really that bad...

But like Pucca said, this doesn't mean we can't wish for more...

Actually, Aaliya, you reminded that how I was tempted to check mark under "do you have a diabetes" section the last time I was at dhaqtarka indhaha, a year ago. Then niyadda iska iri, "Acuudi bilaahi, maxaa isku habaareysaa."

It costed me $360 for the ookiyaal and check-up. It is not cheap, still wax once in a long while ah waaye so it is not all that bad.