Sign in to follow this  
Maf Kees

Somali Rags to Riches

Maf Kees   

Anybody has some inspiring Rags to Riches stories of Somalis inside and outside Somalia or better yet are you one yourself and would you like to share your story? I used to hear stories about these two selfmade men called Ibrahim Unlaye and Jirde Hussein whom practically owned half of Mogadishu and Kismayo. I think it's amazing how men like these have build up such a fortune for themselves and I see them as rolemodels.

I was talking to a friend about setting up a business in Somalia. Then we were discussing those that started a business before us and became successful and take a leaf from them. Companies came to mind such as Dahabshiil, Daallo, Damal, Amal, Dalsan, STG, Global, Nationlink and sofort. The owners of these companies have risked a lot investing in the country in the troublesome 90s, yet they did it anyway.

There are a lot of Somalis in the diaspora with thriving companies. I'm not talking about Farah and his comatose Internetshop or Jama and his hygiene-regulation defying restaurant. I'm talking about millionaires with consultancy firms. We Somalis need people to look up to. There are a lot of Somali entrepreneurs that don't get the attention they deserve. Somalis that enabled Edo Halimo to send money to Odaygeeda faster, easier and cheaper than Kwame to his family in Ghana.

Arawella   

I am still searching for that door that meant to lead to riches. Can anyone provide me with clues? :D

On a more serious note, I’ve yet to come across a Somali millionaire (Sterling and not Shilling).

None that I know of. But am sure there are lots out there. One hopes, anyway.

Oh, but I did hear about a group of men who put everything they had into a xawaalad business venture in Somaliland a couple of years ago. They lost it all when the man who was 'managing' the company spent every penny on one of the campaigns in the recent elections (like it was his own money). Tragic, aint it? Somalis. *Shakes head*

Maf Kees   

Fathia So you were being serious in the first part of your post after all then? You're really trying to find that Somali millionaire..ahum..door?

Ahura If I was them I would hospitalize that guy to IC. That really is a tragedy. Weird to spend it on an election campaign though. Somalis and Politics. Walee it's a deadly combo.

Castro   

^ There's gotta be one out there.

I'm not talking about Farah and his comatose Internetshop or Jama and his hygiene-regulation defying restaurant.

:D

I wouldn't knock these guys, atheer. They may not be on their way to becoming millionaires but they work hard, make a comfortable living, and provide a service to the community.

Like you, I'm interested to know if any mega-rich Somalis are out there. It sure would help some of us who are aspiring entrepreneurs.

I know this dude[hes 32] who basically became richer almost overnight. The last time i saw him,he was a student & now he has millions of dollars & assets you cant imagine. How he did it is a mystery to everyone but,his money is visible.

Whatever the case,the dude MADE it. I am gonna ask him to give me permission to profile him, he surely is a success story for young faraxs. smile.gif

Note to Goldiggers: The Man is married. Unless of coz u wanna be a 2nd wife. smile.gif

Castro   

^ If it was done overnight it's lottery or some other questionable manner. It's hardly an inspiration for an enterperneur. It's not a good idea to post his private information unless he himself wants it. I don't know what he'd tell us about his riches though if it was done by lottery. I mean he probably has no secret formula for picking the right numbers, does he?

Ahura, sweetie, that's what lottery is: a dream. Unfortunately, for some, it becomes a nightmare while chasing it.

Maf Kees   

I know this Farah who won the lottery. Don't know how much though.

Castro Farah and Jama need to visit seminars for small businessmen and retailers and follow courses to beef up their service for their community. 10 years with nada change is a downfall.

Afromali Get that permission on the double. I think we have a story here!

Arawella   

Wow, maybe he robbed a bank, perhaps he striked a deal with the devil. Gosh, I love solving mysteries and this one surely looks like a winner. I tell you what, email me his details and you will get the exclusive before the story is released to all Faraxs and Xalimos. ;)

Castro   

^ Fathia, if this is true, you'll have to fight me for this dude. :D I can be a gold digger in a minute, dahlin. I wanna retire rich too.

OK maybe I shouldn’t have said overnight, but in 1& 1/2 yrs it is almost considered overnight maaha?. But ,I mean how could you make so much money in such a little time?

Either He:

Is lying about how much hes got, has won the LOTTO as Ahura said or he is in debt upto his eyeballs and or a combination of all the above. Whatever the case, the dude has serious mullah as we spea. While me and you are sitting in our lousy jobs commenting about rich folks, he is making mullahs,serious mullahs as such.

I mean he is paying people who work for him over 60K annual salary. Imagine how much he makes? All done in under 2yrs! Impressive huh?

Danyeerow,i emailed him,i would probably get an answer from him.Soon