Sign in to follow this  
o0o

when I was a kid I used to believe..

Wiilo   

I use to believe that if you swallowed watermelon seeds a watermelon would grow inside your stomach,

Same here, exactly what I was told when I was young….

If you swallow a chewing Gum while chewing it, a large Gum (luban) tree will grow up inside your stomach"

Exactly the same thing I was told…………………

2- Flip over any upside down shoe, cause your showing the dirt on your sole, to Allah (SWT)

Exactly the same thing I hear, though my dad used to tell us it was not true, what amazes me is that some people still believe that crab…………..

Never let anybody borrow DUN (thread) at night

I heard similar one but in different version, Never let anyone barrow UKUN (egg) at night, and never let anyone barrow CUSBO (salt) at night ‘cause its bad luck……

These all (Quraafaad) thing is better than St Claus stories that they told children….

Go figure:.........................

Salma   

Did you removed your nails in a safe place Farxan??!!! :D

Its great to do an Encyclopedia for "Somali Superstitions & Asaadheerul-Awaliin" :D

Ever heard of don't comb your hair at night? or Don't write in red Pen at Night?!

I wonder who created these silly things??!!!

I am impressed i struggle to recall most of the superstitions i used to believe as a kid with a wild imagination.

lol@Rokko mate u were very observant at such a young age :D

Wiilo   

Don't write in red Pen at Night?!

I heard that u can only write in red Pen when you are sending a condolence latter to someone who lost a loved one.............

Go figure:................

o0o   

Its great to do an Encyclopedia for "Somali Superstitions & Asaadheerul-Awaliin"

- great idea :D

These all (Quraafaad) thing is better than St Claus stories that they told children….

- true

Diamante   

Acuudu Bilaah...some of you have got me scared with all that jinn talk :eek:

One particular childhood memory I remember vividly is that I believed Coca Cola would colour your hair orange... (I asked an uncle of mine why all the old men had orange beards/hair, I think he forget to mention it was henna they'd used :rolleyes: )

--------------------------

I don't believe in emails. I'm an old fashioned girl. I prefer calling and hanging up

Miriam1   

The Flipping of the shoe, is surely somali, everyone i knew did it..it was like a shock to see a fliped over shoe, whatever u were doing at that time, u stoped it and went to turn that shoe over lol. but a very cynical cousin came to visit one summer, saw our little shoe flipping thing and couldnt stop laughing..his argument was that, of all the horrible things that happen on this earth, do you think that the dirt behind ur shoe is so important?...convincing! lol

I used to believe that if a donkey ate your hair, you would go crazy. I believed in that too!!

I used to believe that when aduun gudoonka happens and Allah is foldind the ground like a rug I would just jump off the rug and fall into space for ever! my brother and I used to fight over this idea and I always cried, "But if the two of us do that He'll notice!!" thinking about Allah smile.gif

You should go outside the house or to the balcony/window and throw the fallen tooth towards the direction of the place where you born, if you didnt do that you won't get a new tooth again

This is a MYTH??????????????. I just told my nephew the other day he had to do that ritual.. poor kid went to his mom and asked for the hospital he was born @. we googled it, got the direction and did the darn thng...

Arghhh.... icon_razz.gif

Anyways,i went to baadiye one time[Ask my ayeeyo], we were hearding some waxaros and it was about to rain, so i was so excited and i started pointing(with my finger) at the rain, you know how you can smell and feel the rain when its about to rain?[saxansaxan?]. i was so excited.shouted Rain! Rain! Rain!. and she slaps my hands and tells me in a authoratative voice. 'never point at the rain, if you point it will not rain'

of coz it was just some drizzle,and it never really rained. when everybody was at home that evening talking about how it rained in meel hebel,she had the need to tell everyone how i jinxed the rain.

I came back home the following week. I never pointed at the sky . i still beleived i was responsible for a dry season in baadiye.(until i took a science class in highschool) :D

Sky   

i once tried to bite my arm to see if i could eat my arm like the animals in africa. i tried but i only see the prints of my teeth. from that day on i thought i was special and immortal.

till my nose started bleeding while i was asleep, i felt like a loser.

i also used to think that the whole world was watching me when im in the bathroom doing my thing. like the whole world is laughing behind my back.

and i used to think that i had aids. :eek: because i thought kissing was having sex, i was to innocent to know what sex actually was. and i remember kissing girls i had a crush on in my class. a friend of mine told me youll get aids if you have sex with more than three different girls.

since than i thought i was hiv positive. after a few weeks i forgot i had aids. :D

Wiilo   

One particular childhood memory I remember vividly is that I believed Coca Cola would colour your hair orange... (I asked an uncle of mine why all the old men had orange beards/hair, I think he forget to mention it was henna they'd used )

I heard that the Coca Cola would make your heir thick and (JAREER) but not color thing......I remember some girls in my nieghborhood (Xaafad) used to wash their heir with Coca Cola....

Go figure:...............

N.O.R.F   

Rocko:

told my brother to shoot me on the back 17 times (Number of mulacs we killed) i think it was about the 3rd shot when i start crying, my sister heard us came running into the room, last time i saw my gun

looooool, are you cazy? 17 times? damn i've been shot with a BB gun and i would never be prepared to be shot again let alone 17 times

I loved Bananas (still do) when i was younger, i would finish them all before dinner time, and you know hows it like when my older brothers found out all the Bananas were finished, how can one eat Bariss iyo Hilib with no muuse? I was told that too many Bananas resulted in snakes being born in you stomach, so my Banana concumption has been limited since then. :D

Intel   

North

1st hit mate i wanted to run to mummy but i didn't want to checkened out you see.

i was screaming me lounges out tho hoping someone i could hear us and stop the little ***** :D

Totti :D:D