Sign in to follow this  
Johnny B

About beeing right

Johnny B   

Evils committed by humans are often attributed to things like greed :( money power, land ) or hatred: (hatred of different races, religions, ethnic groups). This is not unreasonable because we can see the obvious influence of greed and hatred in so many human conflicts, both large-scale (like wars) and small-scale (like local crime).

I´d like to single out what i think may be an even more significant source of suffering and violence, the desire to be right.

This particular motivation isn’t nearly so easy to identify as are motivations like greed and hatred, but that doesn’t mean that it isn’t there.

I think that most people will intuitively recognize the existence of such a motive in others ,but will they recognize it in themselves? Hardly.

This is a personal motivation that prevents a person from modifying or even abandoning a position in the light of evidence or arguments which should, in an ideal world, compel them to do just that. Why? Because an Ego can’t face the consequences of having been wrong. This is a curious facet of human character because if asked directly, no one will pretend that they are infallible and everyone will acknowledge that they are not only capable of making mistakes but that they do, indeed, make mistakes regularly. That’s simply the nature of being human. So why is there an insistence on infallibility on a case-by-case basis?

This is probably limited to those issues where being wrong would undermine ideas which hold a great deal of psychological or emotional value.

Don´t i sound right ? now consider your answer , my ego is at stake here :D

Ibtisam   

okay i agree on one level; that yes people are ruled by a desire to be "right" as demostrated in SOL little fights; the reason is not as simple as;

Because an Ego can’t face the consequences of having been wrong.

but i don't know the complicated answer to it either.

however i think its is wrong to assume that actions motivated by the desire to be right cause as much evil or as much conflict as ones moivated by hatred or greed. the desire to be right is more likely to cause problems between smaller number of people rather than creating major conflicts between people, it may lead to a verbal outburst, but thats about it. Most people just agree to disagree and assume that they are right while the other one is stup*id and does not know what the hell they are talking about.

anyway there are my two cents;

NB i spoke in general terms rather than directly at you and your ideas so your ego should be save :D

Johnny B   

Ibtisam , thanks for beeing so kind to my Ego, Cally, you gonna PAY for that, you Elephant ego.

Ibtisam , i´ve YET to see on SOL a person who abandoned a position or even modified his/her position becouse of the presented eveidence and arguments that in an ideal forum compel them to do just so.

On the contrary , SOL is full of people who are defending positions that they themselves really don´t beleive in anymore, but since they´ve taken those positions earlier,they wish to have been right, so they keep creating new reasons for the old position.

worst is when the position is a religious position. i remember an incident where Shiias were referred to as non-moslims.

P.S .. just becouse you know that you can be wrong sometimes doesn´t mean you keep abandoning every position you take. now meow like a real one, can´t hear ya! :D

Ibtisam   

i have been nice to you dear, so don't push it or i will take a position against you which i will uphold for my life time in SOL.

i agree with you, but thats because people don't want to be accused of inconsistence, by ppl like you who remember everything they ever wrote. and my point still stands that it does not cause as much evil as the other emotions/actions u mentioned; does them taking a position and not admitting they are wrong make them evil, no not necessarily, ppl change views all the time and providing them have a reason behind that change, all power to them.

now run along, before ur bubble burst

:D

Castro   

Originally posted by J B:

Ibtisam , i´ve YET to see on SOL a person who abandoned a position or even modified his/her position becouse of the presented eveidence and arguments that in an ideal forum compel them to do just so.

I beg to differ. :D

Ibtisam   

^^yes MR rebel above now keeps some of his highly debated and "upseting" views to himself. i think he is afarid of teh vanguard

Johnny B   

Castro, you´re known more for your bigotory ,the day you abandon your commy dictator freind in havana , then only then you´ll be hightened to heaven.

Ibtisam ... you bet he is afraid.. Castro is a white collar chicken! :D

Castro   

^ JB can't make me mad. He's A-OK in my book. But on the issue of sticking to one's guns' even when there's clear evidence to the contrary, I'm sure many SOLers have learnt a thing or two about long held beliefs and about themselves being on this site. The fact of the matter is, change (within and without) is painful and that's why many people would rather just hold on to falsehoods in their minds. It's just easier that way. Right? I mean the earth is flat, isn't it? :D

Johnny B   

Sheh , sweet mama , i thought u got it . LZO did it. don´t tell me that i´ve been your source of sleeplesness since then .

somebody shoot me n see to it that i somehow survive :D

Originally posted by J B:

somebody shoot me n see to it that i somehow survive
:D

I'd volunteer for the first half. The second would render the first a blo*dy waste of bullet.

I'll have to go back to LOZ's answer at some point and see what I see. As for you, good manner dictates that u finish what u start. Grrr.

Johnny B   

Sheh , that is unfair !!

If men were held accountable for whatever they start , No couple would share a bedroom.

ps.. I´d like not to ruin LZO´s celeberation , he was worth it, and he actually challenged you to take a LOOK at his answer:P

Johnny B   

With that answer i think i´ve proved that even I have problem abandoning my wrong position.

Sheh , i accept your view, you´re right.

i should have declared LZO´s answer the correct one and releifed you and everybody.

will you accept my appology?