Sign in to follow this  
facklexm

Quitting smoking.

facklexm   

I was smoking about six years now. I was trying to quite about three moths now but I founded hard. I finally did it; I haven’t smoked for couple weeks now. I was just wondering if any of u nomads are in the same situation or thinking about quitting, that includes girls. I know most Somali girls in the West world smoke.

BOB   

Alxamdu-lillaah I don't smoke and I hope and pray that I never will. I also hope you overcome this struggle and defeat the temptation and ultimately manage to quit it for good Insha Allah and I believe you can do it my brother.

Peace,Love & Unity.

Jaylaani   

I smoked through high school and I quit over night cold turkey in my fresh man year in college just because I didn’t like the way it smells on my cloth.

My suggestion to you is, don’t use any remedy such as, gum. It’s all in your mind and if you genuinely decided to quit, you will succeed Insha ALLAH.

STOIC   

It is easy to say that you can quit smoking overnight. It is a desirable goal, and somehow attainable one, but to accomplish it will demand a difficult if not impossible shift of one’s psyche. You may know by now that smoking is not only a cause of lung cancer, but also of many deaths recently in the USA. From Peter Jennings who was a chain smoker twenty years ago before his death to Dana Reeves who has never lit a cigarette, the effect of Smoking or second hand smoke is being felt greatly by the American public. Smoking is an addiction that could cause a health hazard to your life. Every day you hear about cases of lung cancer that are not directly connected to smoking, but if you might look closer you will realize that it is smoking that is causing the lung cancer. The tobacco companies are so powerful here in the USA that they enlist the politicians and the doctor’s organizations to promote their business. They dismiss all the health effect of smoking with a “ Health Caution†on the cigarette pack. Nicotine and the carbon monoxide, the two significant substances in the cigarette are the primary cause of heart disease. Cigarette is the instrument of demolition of your life. It seemed imperative for me to reassure people the health effect of smoking .I hope I did not sound like an alarmist to you. The decision is in your court…….

PS Back from Spring break.......Hangover :D

Jaylaani   

I agree smoking is bad but I don’t think Hollywood deaths are necessarily relates to smoking. Yes they all use smoking as a scapegoat but c’mon now we know they use something a lot more harmful than smoking.

STOIC   

^^^ That assumption may require us to read or examine things from the pulps to the slicks magazines :D

Baluug   

I've been smoking for 14 years, starting when I was 14 years old. I've only actually really tried to quit once, and I managed to cut down to one cig a day for about 3 weeks, but I gave in. Insha Allah I'll try again soon.

STOIC   

It depends on your neighbourhood that one too,Kafaxiye.Think about the thousands and thousands chemicals that are manufactured each year.Where do they go? These chemical elements are in the air you breath.These emisions are produced by the vehicles on the streets, oil refineries, nuclear facilities, and many other industrial sites. :D

Guhaad   

waryaa Stoic, from now on, you will be my cyber student medical doctor. this is how my air system is;

-20% canjeela, bariis, and pasta

-60% pollution from factories, and cars

-10% Xamaali

-10% SOL

thanks for the tip, this must be natural for you :D

STOIC   

I don't think I have the medical credibility to treat or diagnose your health problem, but I think we can work on your neighbourhood selection and lifestyle decisions :D .

EDIT Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack the thread, just an extra reason to smile.......

Guhaad   

^waryaa reread, i think i edited my last piece. i think we can hijack this thread to ask-Stoic-your-medical-concerns type

EDIT Stoic, its okay, its about health. besides your medical advice and those who have confessed, i doubt SOL has any more qiiqers .

Originally posted by facklexm:

I know most Somali girls in the West world smoke.

Really? They must hide it well.

If u can't quit, visit a ward where life-long smokers are suffering horribly- most of y'all Somali men are weak-stomached, that'll make u squirm. If you don't value yrself enough, think of others who breathe in your habit with you and what u're doing to them.

Work out how much money a year u're burning away alongside your lungs; save it instead and start planning for something else to spend it on.

There are healthy pleasures in life- seek them. Sucking on a cancer stick is not very smart.

Poster, consider yourself a non-smoker now. Welcome to the unsmelling club. :D

facklexm   

The problem for me is all of my friends are smokers. Now I’m avoiding them like I own them money, because I know I’ll be temped if i chill with them.