Sign in to follow this  
axmed_fiqi

Somali Islam...-------- How do you view it?

Salam-alaykom, I hope that you all are doing. Recent weeks I've had some doubts about how islam is practised (not about the actuall faith)

It's good that somalis are 99% muslims alhamdululah, It's really a gift from God. I would say that somalis are good people. But There is a problem with them. I often feel that hypcrosy not in the form that somone have doubts about islam, But that somalis practise the rituals of islam but not the most important thing---- Morality.

I recently, Went to Ethiopia or (soomali galbeed) I went there as a voluntary working for the red half moon (red cross)

distrubating food.

I found it astonishing that more then 90% of the people would pray. After prayer they would kill each other? Maybe these things are common to all people. But one thing that is specefic to somalis is that culture has been mixed with religion. Take this example for,

I came back to the comfofrtable europe. you After my journey back to europe I went to pray in a local mosque. I went in I greeted the people. I found the old people that I used to hang around with. The bearded guys and shortend trousers. After the prayers the somalis would meet and the man with the beard would openly say " war reer hebel yaan ka dilnay xalay" It was shocking for me. If you go to local somali cafetrias you would find somali "fadhi-ku dirir". a Place were politics and somali politics is alomost related to clanism. You would find those who say "we killed this and that". They are in the first row to pray. It's a fact. Many somalis pray. This made me thinking. Rituals are not important, Rituals are for showing the impact the faith has upon you. If you look upon it, Somalis are strict with religous rules, When you listen to music, Instatnly a somali would say "it's haram to listen to music", And when clapping a dog" They would almost scream.. But It's completly halal to lie to the government to get insurance and social wellfare. It's completly halal for them to not say they are not married when they are. It's also halal to be in the clan, working against other clans. It's also halal to send money to the clan so they can buy weapons with it". The most important thing have gone, Being compassionate, Being humble, Being in good aqlaaq, And by aqlaak I' mean manners. When I became 18, I became member of red cross and the green party, Becouse I wanted to help starving people, The somalis saw that I was on televsion a couple of times and they instantly bullied me. I dont know, Did they see me as a gaal becouse I wanted to help people? What are they doing for the starving people, What are they doing for working a world without war and nuclear weapons?

I also compared the somalis and the eurpoeans, I found that the eurpoeans have better morals. They dont lie, They respect you. Ofcourse There are also some good apsects of somali culture, They are very talkative and socially good.

It has gone now 8 months since I prayed in a mosque, I've taken that desicion in my lifem, To never pray in a mosque with false people whom prey on each other.

Thats what I wanted to share with you guys.

have you felt like this?

Simply_I   

Originally posted by axmed_fiqi:

I became member of
red cross and the green party.

It has gone now 8 months since I prayed in a mosque, I've taken that desicion in my lifem, To never pray in a mosque with false people whom prey on each other.

Thats what I wanted to share with you guys.

have you felt like this?

WCS

Somali islam....huh?

I've read your other post and know that you know that Islam has no specific identity.

I heard this story about a somali and an italian who were friends back home.

The somali guy used to drink, smoke and indulge in every opportunity of haram activity jus like the italian.........but he never missed a prayer and would put his life on the line to defend his religion.

So some people tried to give the italian advice waxee ku dheheen "War ninyahow maad soo muslintid?" And He said to them "If the islam you're talking about is the same as Hebel's (his friend)islam then sure i am going to become muslim. Its a true story i heard and its supposed to be a joke.

You should go to the mosque more often dont worry about the other people, dantaada is more important. And if you are not happy with the way these people conduct themselves show them..give them an example through your actions.

Dont let their vice get in your way.

Something similar happened to me when i first started to become interested in the deen, i dismissed my old crew and became friends with a group of shiekh girls at my then college.

I was so happy at first and thought "what a relief" no more Dhoocil business iyo is qabsi.

Then i witnessed the same attitude was also present in some of my newly found peers but in a mild way, and got disappointed. Nevertheless i stuck around and now Mash'allah i mostly see the good things about them.

So the thing is we are all human beings and nobody is perfect we have to strive to better ourselves. First within ourselves and gradually we'll start to notice the great conduct of those around us.

Mash'Allah red cross!!----->way to go.

I hope you will always maintain your interest. :D

muunad   

axmed_fiqi

“I also compared the somalis and the eurpoeans, I found that the eurpoeans have better morals. They dont lie, They respect you. Ofcourse There are also some good apsects of somali culture, They are very talkative and socially good.

There is always a portion(no matter who) of the group that will be bad/evil ur pick, and there are Europeans that lie and kill as well as manipulate u just don’t have anything they want . And to stereotype the whole group because u went and saw some old men who’s only life has been that of competing w/ opposing raises…I think that is utterly wrong. U should go to the one’s that are educated and don’t lie or kill for their benefits. The ones that know that there will never be true peace until we all see eachother as brothers and sisters.

It has gone now 8 months since I prayed in a mosque, I've taken that desicion in my lifem, To never pray in a mosque with false people whom prey on each otherâ€

Don’t stop your payers because of some people that u believe are corrupt, allah says that u never know what is in a persons heart, if their in a bikini and they clam islam u supposed to not counter act that statement. In other words u cant say that the people that u pray next to are corrupt in the matters of heart (religion and morality).

Gabbal   

I also compared the somalis and the eurpoeans, I found that the eurpoeans have better morals.

Morals? You could have said anything, but morals? You generalized so ignorantly it's not even anything but irritating. Marka ninyahow (I dont care if you are Somali or not) noo goy oo meel iska fadhiiso.

Rowda   

Ilaahay khayr hakaasiyo for what u doing.

We are in a time of trasition and we all have the right question for what our community is doing.We all have disease called qabil and culture that has nothing to do with Islam. After questioning that for last 12yrs I came to the conclution that treat ppl the way u wanna be treated and surround ur self atleast 2somali friends who have ur back no matter what. In this way, u will never lost to the western crowd. We somalis are too quick to judge ppl the minor things in life and dont see th big picture at all!

Jabhad   

We all have disease called qabil and culture that has nothing to do with Islam.

I agree you 100%. Success of our Ummah will only come when we sincerely follow the Quran and the Sunnah NOT THE EVILS OF CULTURE.

It's good that somalis are 99% muslims alhamdululah, It's really a gift from God. I would say that somalis are good people. But There is a problem with them.

You touched important issues that we have to deal with if we want to create a better Somalia. I would urge you to figureout ways to work with ignorant Somalis in your area instead of throwing eggs at them.

Huge mistake! The Masjid is the house of Allah - Subhaanahu wa Ta 'Aala. I kindly advice you to reconsider your decisions. wcs

Yonis   
I think when it comes to Islamic religion and how people practice it we should look at individuals not by the whole society, even though they are Muslims. it is true that individuals are the ones who make up the society, but these days it is hard to see a clean person and anyone who devoted to his religion. They may pray, fast, and go to Haj, but that doesn’t mean that their prayers and sacrifices are accepted, (only God is the only one who can judge people and knows the intention of their deeds) but what I am telling you is just take care of your ownself, because if you follow the guidance and forbid what is wrong no hurt can come to you from those who are in error. Moreover, don’t give up going to the mosques coz of that, because there is no bearer of burdens shall bear another’s burden.

"Somali Islam"...-------- How do you view it?

Soomaali Islam waa jiraa, waana jiri doonaa; it was here, is here and will be here long after the Carab wanna-bes and Western imitators are gone and forgotten. Waa Eebbe mahadiis. Kistoo yarna aan ku tusiyo Soomaali Islaam:

boqor_maxamuud.jpg

Soomaali Islaam in its best, kaliya ka maqan tusbax iyo bakooradiis.

ImmStudyDancers.gif

Jamilah   

Brother, do you think that alienating yourself from your community would be a solution? Obviously from the observations you have made you have come across misguided people yet you did not bother to express your concerns. Surely you believe an individual through their actions and words can make a difference as evident with your decision to join the Red Cross.

At the end of the day the only person you are disappointing is yourself, what are trying to prove by neglecting your Islamic duties and abstaining from entering a mosque for such a period? It is essential as a Muslim brother you attend Friday prayers.

Peace

N.O.R.F   

Axmed, staying away from the mosque will not provide you with answers, it will not make you more confident about yourself if you stay away from people due to your perception of being targeted for being a Red Cross worker.

Eightmonths not attending a mosque is a serious issue, what about during ramadan, eid, friday prayers (30 friday prayers), not attending Friday prayers for 3 consecutive weeks is a serious issue in itself.

You have some valid comments on Somalis attitude towards religion - like a light a switch (on and off as and when) but you must not compromise your Iman based on a few comments/experiences in a small town.

uchi   

I say spit on thier face, and insult them infront of a large crowd...

Perhapes on a lighter note, at a friday prayer ask the imam if you could make an announcement and then make a small but brief statement that we are all brothers and we should stop sending money overseas to kill each other -

Then you can point fingers at the old bearded dude with the frown on his face, and say...Thats him, yes, one of the misguided muslims.