Sign in to follow this  
Blessed

The Mourchidat

NGONGE   

"The Morshidat will be in charge of leading religious discussions, give lessons in Islam, give moral support to people in difficulty and guide the faithful towards a tolerant Islam"

Samira Marzouk,

a pioneer Murshida, or guide

They will notably work with women and children in poor ghettoes seen as fertile ground for extremist recruiters.

The idea of the Murshidat, spearheaded by King Mohammed VI and the government, took off after Islamic extremist attacks in the Casablanca on May 16, 2003 claimed 45 lives and left dozens of others wounded.

The King who had already started reshaping religious structures to rein in any extremist drift in his North African country, which borders Algeria where violence between government forces and armed Islamic extremists has caused more than 150,000 deaths since 1992.

Looking at it from all sides and angles one can't help but consider this a good idea. That country was bombed by it's own people in some misguided and deluded attempt to fight for Islam. No matter how one tries to excuse, explain or apologise for such an action the fact still remains that these so-called mujahidin bombed their very own people and fellow Muslims!

Now, whenever such an incident took place in a Muslim country in the past, the despotic governments would usually roundup all religious folk and imprison them for unspecified lengths of time (not to mention torture them). The Moroccan government probably did that too (one can never tell). However, it's also pleasing to know that this government is attempting (albeit half-heartedly) to get to the bottom of this problem and the reasons for it.

As the two articles above repeatedly stress, these lady guides are not replacing Imams and will not be conducting prayers, and are unlikely to be issuing fatwas. Their job will be to educate, guide and explain the finer points of the faith.

The argument that these ladies are some sort of moles planted by the government to spy on and smother the 'Islamists' is nothing but unsubstantiated paranoia. Two dozen women can not do that much! Besides, how will they do it even if they tried? Will they teach other women to discard their hijab? Not to pray? Not to follow the clear Islamic rituals? Surely the only 'moderate' Islamic view they'll try to spread would be that bombing your own people is WRONG!

This looks like a token gesture by the Moroccan government. However, since it is bound to benefit many people and help them better understand their faith, one is obliged to welcome it and hope that many other similar moves are made not only by the Moroccans but all other Islamic governments.

Anything that reduces the number of Taliban-like people amongst us can only but be a good thing methinks.

ps

Kimiya, at least those angry young men will be knowledgeable (angry) young men rather than members of a rioting mob that heard the furious shouts and joined in the destruction, just because all the thunderous voices said 'it's the right and Islamic thing to do'!

Khayr   

Originally posted by NGONGE:

However, it's also pleasing to know that this government is attempting (albeit half-heartedly) to get to the bottom of this problem and the reasons for it.

As the two articles above repeatedly stress, these lady guides are not replacing Imams and will not be conducting prayers, and are unlikely to be issuing fatwas. Their job will be to educate, guide and explain the finer points of the faith.

The argument that these ladies are some sort of moles planted by the government to spy on and smother the 'Islamists' is nothing but unsubstantiated paranoia. Two dozen women can not do that much! Besides, how will they do it even if they tried? Will they teach other women to discard their hijab? Not to pray? Not to follow the clear Islamic rituals? Surely the only 'moderate' Islamic view they'll try to spread would be that
bombing your own people is WRONG!

This looks like a token gesture by the Moroccan government. However, since it is bound to benefit many people and help them better understand their faith,
one is obliged to welcome it and hope that many other similar moves are made not only by the Moroccans but all other Islamic governments.

If it is just "unsubstantiated paranoia" then why the effort in trying to 'educate muslim women' by in the muslim world. Forget the men, get the muslim women educated so that they can reach the blissful state of 'Nirvana' on earth.

Why the biaseness in the western worldview of islamic gender roles and efforts to combat them and promote them as 'Evils' and 'Sinful Practices'

This is an effort by a ruthless dictator that is in place to serve the european hegomony and keept 'Muslims in Check'

These muslimahs are being produced as 'Modern Muslimahs' which is the very anti-thesis of what a Muslimah should be i.e. God serving and not self serving or gender serving.

NGONGE   

If it is just "unsubstantiated paranoia" then why the effort in trying to 'educate muslim women' by in the muslim world. Forget the men, get the muslim women educated so that they can reach the blissful state of 'Nirvana' on earth.

Why the biaseness in the western worldview of islamic gender roles and efforts to combat them and promote them as 'Evils' and 'Sinful Practices'

This is an effort by a ruthless dictator that is in place to serve the european hegomony and keept 'Muslims in Check'

These muslimahs are being produced as 'Modern Muslimahs' which is the very anti-thesis of what a Muslimah should be i.e. God serving and not self serving or gender serving.

Heh. Your attempt to explain the unsubstantiated paranoia with even more unsupported claims is laughable, saaxib. The lack of self-awareness in that text is quite astonishing.

Never mind. I can clearly see that you have not read the articles on the subject, or if you did, you seem to have skimmed through them quickly. It’s ok; in answer to your questions I’ll just quote a snippet of the articles.

This is what both Islamic opposition parties said:

For one, Islamist deputy Mustafa Ramid with the Islamist Justice and Development party (PJD), the main opposition group with 43 seats in the 325-member parliament, the Murshidat is a "positive" development.

"I see nothing more to say about this initiative because in Islam, men and women are equal," he said, pointing to Egypt which has "eminent women scholars of Islam".

But the head of the youth group in Morocco's most radical Islamic fundamentalist association, Al-Adl Wal-Ihssane (Justice and Welfare), forecast it would have no effect on the ground.

"The power behind this initiative is the same as the one that commits acts contrary to Islam, notably degrading moral values," said Hasan Bennajih, whose group is part of an Islamist movement that preaches non-violence and is unrecognized by authorities, but still influential.

"This initiative, then, will only have a limited impact on the population," said Hasan Bennajih.

Notice that neither has expressed any of the scepticism you’re spitting out in here?

Only one of them criticised the government, but not the project itself. The most he could say about that is that it will not have much of an impact. Not at all near anything you’re implying in your post above. They’re giving these ladies the benefit of the doubt.

It’s not all as black and white as in your head, saaxib. Despotic governments do build mosques, teach about Islam in schools and spend money on countless charitable projects. That does not mean they’re innocent of all their other unjust policies and practices. However, those unjust and unfair practices do not also mean that we should reject every good deed one of these governments makes or embarks on. I mean would you reject all the good work the Saudi government did in Mecca and Medina just because you know that government to be in cahoots with the West?

As for implying sarcastically that these ladies are going to teach women how to be ‘modern Muslimahs’! I’m sure ladies with qualifications such as a graduate of Arab literature who knows the Quran by heart and one holding a degree in Islamic studies would have a pretty good idea of what a modern, contemporary, ancient or future Muslimah would look, act and behave like.

These ladies look like they know what they’re doing and are equipped with the right amount of knowledge to do it. Let us hope they also have some sound and balanced judgment (which you sadly lack).

Drop the paranoia, saaxib. It truly lets you down and hinders all your evident learning.

Blessed   

Reading the responses to this and similar topics in SOL the terms; radical, extremists and liberal jump out at me but somehow I don't think that they mean the same to us all. I would like to know how you guys (Taliban, Khayr, NG and others) define these terms and what standards you use to categories people.

Taliban

Well, according to the report, these women priests or Mourchidat are set to promote a more liberal brand of Islam. Priest in the sense of what applies to Western priests or priesthood, because the term or function of priest doesn't exist in Islam.

I think that the BBCs mis-interpretation of the word Mourshidah, which basically means a female guide, is misleading you. We've had too many notable female scholars in our history to question the role of these women. There's nothing new about it, it’s a revival in a sense. There is also nothing new about calling for following the middle path in Islam.

Ngonge,

I agree but I also think that they can do more for the youth. These sisters will be working mainly with women- how many female terrorists are there? They are in a sense dealing with a different set of problems and I commend them for that.

However, to say that this initiative will eradicate terrorism is a mistake. The road to terrorism for young men is very complex. I agree, it is instigated by a lack of access to sound knowledge but there are other factors at play here- you have to deal with all of them.

Taliban   

Originally posted by Kimiya:

I think that the BBCs mis-interpretation of the word Mourshidah, which basically means a female guide, is misleading you. We've had too many notable female scholars in our history to question the role of these women. There's nothing new about it, it’s a revival in a sense. There is also nothing new about calling for following the middle path in Islam.

The function of Mourchidats is to promote a new sect or cult of Islam. That tells a Muslim all there's to know about them.

we dont mess with their religion, we they wanna mess with ours!! u ever asked that q's to yourself first, saxib. or did it flew ova your head??

it works the way its, leave it alone & hit the road jack.

-Lily-   

I don’t think we should care about how non-Muslims view these Mourshidah and how they define their roles. For centuries we have had Muslim women teaching other Muslim women and at times men alike. I can only see it as a positive thing. It's important for girls and women to know about their Deen and have a knowledgable female they can discuss this with and not always a male Imam.

Taliban   

Originally posted by -Lily-:

For centuries we have had Muslim women teaching other Muslim women and at times men alike.

However, those Muslim women used to teach Islam; what the new Mourchidats are teaching (or about to teach) is a new sect or cult of Islam.

-Lily-   

Taliban, Allah knows best, how can you be so certain? I thought we were not just referring to a select group of women but the idea that women can contribute to the teachings of Islam? And do you deny that they can?

Strange words like Mourchid and Mourchidat which basically mean spiritual guide are more apt to be found in Sufi lexicon then in Sunis ones. Moving on, what gives these women the authority to serve as religious guides? The 12 month training session? Ludicrous!

Taliban   

Originally posted by -Lily-:

Taliban, Allah knows best, how can you be so certain? I thought we were not just referring to a select group of women but the idea that women can contribute to the teachings of Islam? And do you deny that they can?

What you thought is incorrect. Haven't you read the report? Let me quote from it:

the Moroccan government introduced women preachers - to promote a more
liberal brand of Islam
and to counter radicalism.

I don't deny women can contribute to the teachings of Islam, however, this is about teaching a new sect or cult of Islam.