Sign in to follow this  
Fabregas

4 Reasons To Kick Your Coffee Habit

Fabregas   

By Makeisha Lee, Health and Nutritional Advisor

Are you the guy or gal that has to stop at Starbucks every morning to get that liquid rush? Would you just have the most terrible day if you were running late for work and had to skip it? If you are, than you make up an estimated 90% of Americans that need that fix everyday!

Despite recent controversy about alleged benefits of drinking coffee, you may want to reconsider your position upon considering some not-so pleasant long term effects.

Coffee contains nearly 200 chemicals. Many of these chemicals are oil based and therefore put an added stress on liver function. One chemical, caffeine has several different ill-effects on the body. Here are 4 reasons to kick your coffee habit:

REASON #1: In large amounts, caffeine can interfere with normal sleep patterns as well as become difficult for liver metabolism.

REASON #2: Caffeine in coffee consumed during mealtime, fools the stomach's ability to secrete the needed amount of Hydrochloric Acid. This reduced Hydrochloric Acid often times contributes to an Acid Reflux response.

REASON #3: Caffeine stimulates adrenaline, the “fight of flight hormone”; however once it wears off, you face fatigue and even mild depression. So then you have to take more and more to get the adrenaline going again. That’s the typical addiction that you want to stop!

REASON #4: Although some studies have shown coffee may reduce your risk of developing breast cancer; coffee drinkers are also more likely to increase their risk of stomach cancer and leukemia.

These are just a few of the known effects that coffee can have on the body, but understand that coffee, with its hundreds of chemicals, affects each person differently and it is still a drug - even if legal!

Just like with any other drug, it is very addictive and as is the case with all other drugs, “the damage that drugs can do, will outweigh it’s hoped for benefits”!

Here are some suggestions if you are looking for that pick me up:

1) Drink More Water. Every morning when your feet hit the ground out of bed, drink an 8oz glass of cold water. Doing this first thing in the morning will help jumpstart every bodily function and elevate energy levels.

2) Get The Proper Rest. Make sure that most nights you are getting to sleep between the hours of 10 pm – 2am. When you get recuperative sleep at night, it will be much easier to arise well rested in the morning.

3) Find An Alternative. Find a suitable energy drink without caffeine that contains no added artificial flavorings, colorings or artificial sweeteners. There are many herbal based tonics that are safe to consumer regularly without adverse side effects.

Makeisha Lee is a health and nutrition consultant. For more information about cleansing and detoxifying your body, contact her at 614-595-1425 or znck04@yahoo.com or learn more at www.CleanseFormula.com

She is also the author of "Why Black People Can't Lose Weight" available at www.WhyBlackPeopleCantLoseWeight.com and in bookstores nationwid

BlackNews.com - 4 Reasons To Kick Your Coffee Habit

Fabregas   

Saxiib as MMI would say " qaxwo is not daqan Soomaali, Oromo iyo waxbaas ba laga keenay".

ps. Qaxwo is popular in your neck of the woods? u drink with cano nido?

Do you have a caffeine-hater in your life? You know the type - they’re always telling you what’s bad for your health.

Here’s a list of some good reasons to drink coffee. Memorize this list - so the next time you encounter your favorite coffee-hater you can pull out one of these babies.

While you’re at it you can add the words “from a peer-reviewed scientific journal” — that’ll really get your pet coffee-hater frothing at the mouth.

1 - Cut the Pain

Two cups of coffee can cut post-workout muscle pain by up to 48%. From the Journal of Pain, March 2007 .

2- Increase your fiber intake

A cup of brewed coffee represents a contribution of up to 1.8 grams of fiber of the recommended intake of 20-38 grams. From the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry.

3 - Protection against cirrhosis of the liver

Of course you could just cut down on the alcohol intake. From the Archives of Internal Medicine.

4 - Lowered risk of Type 2 Diabetes

Those who consumed 6 or more cups per day had a 22% lower risk of diabetes. From the Archives of Internal Medicine.

5 - Lowered risk of Alzheimer’s disease

There is considerable evidence that caffeine may protect against Alzheimer’s disease. From the European Journal of Neurology.

6 - Reduces suicide risk

10 year study of 86,000 female nurses show a reduced risk of suicide in the coffee drinkers. From the Archives of Internal Medicine.

7 - Protection against Parkinson’s

People with Parkinson’s disease are less likely to be smokers and coffee drinkers than their healthy siblings. Just make sure you don’t get lung cancer on the way.

Many Reasons to Drink Coffee

Over the past week, I’ve read so many coffee studies I almost got a caffeine buzz. It made me wonder if the industry is in trouble (that and the Starbucks 9-cent a cup price increase). So if coffee is losing ground, these studies may get people coughing up dough for joe again.

· Japanese researchers found that women who drink at least three cups of coffee a day seem to face only half the risk of colon cancer as non-drinkers. Sorry, guys, this study didn’t find any benefit for you. But the study, which included over 96,000 subjects in the 40 to 69 age range, did show a clear benefit for women, regardless of other diet and exercise habits.

· An Italian meta-analysis of ten studies found that coffee drinking translates into reduced risk of liver cancer. In fact, the more coffee you drink, the lower the risk. Just one cup a day was linked with a 23% risk reduction…while “heavy” coffee drinking appeared to cut liver cancer risk by a whopping 55%.

· American scientists found that exercise plus coffee seems offer protection against skin cancer. This study used mice as subjects – and the researchers learned that caffeine plus exercise resulted in 400% higher death rate of precancerous cells, meaning those cells never have a chance to develop into full-blown cancer.

· A new Italian study found that coffee-drinking may protect us against late-onset blepharospasm (a.k.a. chronic eye twitching). In fact, the more coffee subjects drank, the lower their risk of developing the irritating condition.

· And another score for women: drinking coffee may offer protection against cognitive decline, especially as we get older. A French study found that drinking at least 3 cups of coffee a day offered a 30% reduced risk of memory loss at age 65…and women over 80 who drank that much joe were almost 70% less likely to suffer cognitive decline than women who drank less than a cup a day.

Kool_Kat   

Originally posted by Abu_Geeljire:

Saxiib as MMI would say " qaxwo is not daqan Soomaali, Oromo iyo waxbaas ba laga keenay".

Who said this aan kabteyda taakadeeda wajiga kala dhacee? Xabashi lee lagu waashay meeshaana...

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, my beautiful coffee!!! My precious coffee!!! No way, no how...I don't think I can function without it, allow ha iga qaadin...

Lakiinse, naagta qaxwo Soomaali la dhoho ha iisoo dhoweyn...No thnx, amaan balaadhan... :eek:

Faynuus   

maxeey qabtaana qaxwo soomali sheekaa wadaaye? i love our watary, aromatic qaxwo ood u malaysid maraq bulljong laga buuxiyey.

no cofee no sxb

I'm here to defend my coffee with any cost ,,,, even with my life ,,, :D

No one u soo dhowaaan kara ama wax ka sheegi kara my two favorates ,,, Tea & Coffee