Sign in to follow this  
Sherban Shabeel

Educating prostitutes about the dangers of HIV

Being "forced by circumstances" is something very relative, as in 99% of these cases (not a real number, but just for the sake of argument), there are alternatives to prostitution. For an enterprising mind, there are always ways of surviving. I maintain my point that, although there are many women who are forced into this profession, a MAJORITY of prostitutes CHOOSE to do the work they do, and CHOOSE to stick with it. Try talking to an actual prostitute sometime, and it might help de-bunking some of the things you've imagined about them.

Having sex for money is abusing your body? Really? Maybe to you, but not to most of the world. Habits which are repulsive get progressively rooted out from our behaviour, such as burning people at the stake, cruelty towards animals (alhtough there is still much work to be done here), and all sorts of gruesome things. Prostitution isn't going anywhere, so that should tell you something about what's truly inside of people.

I'm not glorifying prostitution, I'm defending it from people who try to villify it, and make it seem a lot eviler than it actually is. I'm reminded of that thread about Waris Dirie, where some nomads were like "OMG why is this prostitute (which she isn't but whatever) talking about FGM? On what authority does she complain about it?". What does Shabeel think of all this? I'd rather my daughter be a prostitute than someone with her clitoris chopped off. I think the latter would be a lot more damaging to her dignity. You may disagree.

Anyway, your last paragraph is nothing more than a rant, driven by your prejudices and your total disgust at a profession which feeds millions of people worldwide. Also, prostitution having such a terrible impact on humanity as you described (financially, health-wise, blablabla) is absolute BS, based on ZERO research/reason, and totally based on your sentiment of revulsion.

Finally I'm not going to advise women to drop medical school to become hookers, because - unlike you - I'm not riding around on a high moral horse telling people what they should to with their lives. It's their damn choice whether they want to become surgeons or prostitutes, or pilots, or anything else.

Having sex for money is abusing your body? Really? Maybe to you, but not to most of the world. Habits which are repulsive get progressively rooted out from our behaviour, such as burning people at the stake, cruelty towards animals (alhtough there is still much work to be done here), and all sorts of gruesome things. Prostitution isn't going anywhere, so that should tell you something about what's truly inside of people.

I'm not glorifying prostitution, I'm defending it from people who try to villify it, and make it seem a lot eviler than it actually is. I'm reminded of that thread about Waris Dirie, where some nomads were like "OMG why is this prostitute (which she isn't but whatever) talking about FGM? On what authority does she complain about it?". What does Shabeel think of all this? I'd rather my daughter be a prostitute than someone with her clitoris chopped off. I think the latter would be a lot more damaging to her dignity. You may disagree.

Anyway, your last paragraph is nothing more than a rant, driven by your prejudices and your total disgust at a profession which feeds millions of people worldwide. Also, prostitution having such a terrible impact on humanity as you described (financially, health-wise, blablabla) is absolute BS, based on ZERO research/reason, and totally based on your sentiment of revulsion.

Finally I'm not going to advise women to drop medical school to become hookers, because - unlike you - I'm not riding around on a high moral horse telling people what they should to with their lives. It's their damn choice whether they want to become surgeons or prostitutes, or pilots, or anything else.

As usual, emotions get the best of you. You seem to scream freedom of CHOICE whenever someone disagrees with you. I treated this as a debate on an intellectual level and pointed out the physicall and pysochological harm prostitution does to people. But I see that you're taking this personal.

You can view me however you like(intolerant, close-minded, whateva)but my position will not change. Prostitution is a DIRTY, DISGUSTING, DISGRACEFUL,HARMFUL job(if you even want to call it that)that strips people off their humanity and reduces them objects. I hope the women who were forced into it by circumstances to GET OUT and the ones who chose it to see it for what it is.

As for the comment about your daughter, I hope you NEVER advice her that.

LOL what?

There is not one shred of emotion in my post. Nothing but reason and facts. But please re-read your posts (even this last one) and then tell me whose emotions got the best of who. Do you really want me to start picking out quotes from what you wrote?

interesting the that the word "dhilo" in somali comes from the when birta godinta ey ka baxdo galka dabka - it is called "wey dhilowday" as in way farabaxday. :cool:

Malika   

NNC,

I am assuming so,it is not the first time he had address her as Macalimadii..

*sit's back and waits for CH to storm in*

Ibtisam   

What is with the hijabi the macalimiid wearing. Makes me feel uncomfortable.

Sherban I watched it, I think it is a poor idea, but an idea never the less.

Malika   

^I agree a conflicting issue,nevertheless prostitution is a reality so is HIV/AIDS...Ah! humans!

BUKURR   

Originally posted by Malika:

NNC,

I am assuming so,it is not the first time he had address her as Macalimadii..

That is cynical assumption if I take you on my best, and its a very disturbing idea that you thought so.

I also felt very uncomfortable with that Macalimad wearing the hijab, but what repulses me the most is when people bring the name of Allah in not so-good environment.

Malika   

^War hedhee,anagaa isgaraneyna[sp]..I mean,us and Ducaysane..lol

Marka adigu kaa leexoo ,C&H markee timahaa riftoo Ducaysane[apparently he is bold,darn!!].. :D