Sign in to follow this  
roobleh

UNDP's Quest program for Somali expatriate professionals: Does it work?

roobleh   

I have received a publicity flier from UNDP regarding the QUEST program that supposed to use Somali expatriates to transfer knowledge and experties to the people of their countries. When I requested UNDP more info about the selection criteria which I easily fulfilled according to their flier and that I only wanted to work in Somaliland, they stopped sending me any more emails. Is it because that I mentioned that I will only be working in Somaliland instead of Somalia that caused to stop them pursuing me? What do you think? Does anyone applied the program before?

"Is it because that I mentioned that I will only be working in Somaliland instead of Somalia that caused to stop them pursuing me"

am pretty sure telling people you want to work in an imaginary country will make them question you qualification for the job!

Ibtisam   

^^Ouch, north have some mercy!

Rooble: You are not allowed to work in your country of origin, so if you mentioned you/ family if from there....

roobleh   

I pasted part of the flier here. Anyone who wants more info or the contact number for the program manager, just send me a private message. I also got an application today and someone in the UNDP told me that you can request specific country such as Somaliland were you want to work. I am not sure how much they will be paying you but it is more than a thousand dollar/month.

Xanthus, I believe you can work in Somaliland were your family is originated. Good luck!

UNITED NATIONS DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMME

Qualified Expatriate Somali Technical Support (QUESTS)

The QUESTS initiative, modelled after the UNDP global initiative of Transfer of Knowledge. Through

Expatriate Nationals (TOKTEN), which encourages expatriate nationals to volunteer their expertise in the

service of their homelands for short periods of time, proposes to bring the skills of Somali professionals in

the Diaspora to Somalia on a short-term, voluntary basis. By doing so, UNDP Somalia will address three

major needs: reducing the brain drain, supporting lasting peace in Somalia and increasing participation of

the Somali Diaspora in the creation of a conducive environment for sustainable human development.

The QUESTS project was established in Septemb er 2004 by UNDP Somalia to utilize the Somali expertise

available in the Diaspora as a resource base to strengthen development activities and governance in

Somalia.

ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR DIASPORA PROFESSIONAL VOLUNTEERS

The Diaspora consultants participating in the project should fulfill the following criteria::

•Bachelor or higher degree

•Minimum of three years of relevant working experience

•At least 25 years of age (there is no upper age limit)

•Able to perform duties in Somali

•Good working knowledge of English; the language of domiciled country would also be an asset

•Ability to work in partnership and to adjust to difficult living conditions

•Genuine interest and commitment to supporting the rebuilding of Somalia and a willingness to

share skills and knowledge.

•Awareness of economic, political and social situation in Somalia

•impartiality and neutrality

•A high standard of principles and professionalism as well as commitment to community

development services is required.

I hardly believe the UNDP would refer to Somaliland as a country though. That would really be a stretch. For example, heres what the link Northerner provided says:

Location city: Hargeisa, Somaliland, with missions to other cities

Location country: Somalia

They wouldnt have written Location country: Somalia if they deemed Somaliland to be a country now wouldnt they? ;)

Ouch #2

Lidia   

the proverb-Beggars cannot be choosers fits in here very well. Brother, when you are applying for a job, it's never s good idea to make demands, it's better to apply for the job and see where they place/need you-- It is they who will determine the place of employment, not you. Next time be a little bit more deplomatic and make the request once you have the job-- perhaps you can make a request to be moved.

roobleh   

^Thanks for the advice. But keep in mind this is not a regular job. It is a volunteer job that barely pays the bills. I have a good job and all I wanted is to do some volunteer work. And I have the choice to either apply it or not to. I am setting here the conditions of my employment before I waste my time and theirs. Welcome, to the real world sister!

Biixi   

Originally posted by Naxar Nugaaleed:

am pretty sure telling people you want to work in an imaginary country will make them question you qualification for the job!

:D No you did NOT. What if the whole perue thing was imaginary?

Gabbal   

Originally posted by Northerner:

Imaginary indeed
;)

In that link it clearly says that Hargeisa is a city inside of a region called Somaliland inside of a country named Somalia.

Location country
: Somalia

Project Title
: Somalia Urban Development Programme

Urban Spatial Analysis of key cities in the three Somali regions [south/Center, Puntland, and Somaliland].