Sign in to follow this  
roobleh

UNDP's Quest program for Somali expatriate professionals: Does it work?

Gabbal   

Originally posted by roobleh:

•impartiality and neutrality

Doesn't surprise me that you were denied.

N.O.R.F   

N/AA

Welcome to the general section. Dont get lost :D

GG,

Its called being diplomatic with information ;)

ps applied for a job based in Hargaisa. Lets see what comes back :confused:

Originally posted by roobleh:

I have received a publicity flier from UNDP regarding the QUEST program that supposed to use Somali expatriates to transfer knowledge and experties to the people of their countries. When I requested UNDP more info about the selection criteria which I easily fulfilled according to their flier and that I only wanted to work in Somaliland, they stopped sending me any more emails. Is it because that I mentioned that I will only be working in Somaliland instead of Somalia that caused to stop them pursuing me? What do you think? Does anyone applied the program before?

You did one mistake here ,,,, the selection has not been made and the final short list was not yet out when you told them you will only work in a certain area.

UNDP is under the UN and it is more political than setting up a social and humantarian projects. You know what the UN believes about Somaliland and they represent that idea. Yes, you can mention the name but most of their projects are general (Somaliland/Somalia) and someone would work all those areas once he/she is appointed unless you are a local staff which means you will work only in Somaliland.

You should have waited until you know the results and once they select you then any negotiation would be open for discussion like the salary, insurance, working hours, location, etc. That would be your best chance to ask for the location you want to work.

In general, you would be based in Hargeisa, travel to puntland as needed but working in the south is strictly forbidden according to the UN security rules applied to the country.

That is how things work in this country and that is how someone would deal with the UN jobs. But starting with such request will make them think you are so demanding and thus they'll look for someone who can take anything and accept everythnig with minimum salary and motivation. This is a poor country.