Sign in to follow this  
Archdemos

The Rageh Omaar Report : From Minneapolis to Mogadishu

i meant uncomfortable in that it left you with the impressions that the somali community in USA were dire straits.

The segment on nursery schools, was downright wrong. gave the impression that somalis werent bothering to join society and were ostracizing themselves.

it didn't necessarily paint the Somali community in the US in a positive light. I didnt realise things were that bad for Somalis there.

the narrative of the show from my perspective were

war in somalia

refugees in america

brought their violence with them, gangs etc.....

nursery school kids learing arabic and Quran in

US school system, tax etc....

2nd generation somali teens treason against US.

alienated from greater society, just got the image of a community dogged by problems wherever they go

Just bad news after bad. I had a different image of Somalis in USA from family members in North America.

it just aired so it may be uploaded at a later date. To be fair the show was about the 20 young men who left the states to fly out to somalia and join shabab. But can't help but think he could have done a slightly better job in the PR section. After all this was on international tv viewed by millions.

conclusion of the show was also utterly depressing. Somalis becoming more excluded from society. youths in the diaspora are ticking timebombs

maybe i'm flawed in my analysis and i'm sensationalising the documentary and it was painting a sober and authentic image.

^^^I have lived in Europe and the past few years in Minnesota. This is the best place for the Somali's, what we have here is great. Yes we have problems, and we have some ****** trying to ruin it for everyone, but on the whole its a growing vibrant community..

Polanyi   

rage omaar is catering mainly to western based english readers. ...........the show wasn't meant to do good pr for somalis or enlighten ppl about the best aspect of somalis. Anyway, mohamed cadow is a better presenter for me than rage. too bad he doesn't with a toffee crisp in his throat.lol.

RedSea   

Originally posted by General Duke:

^^^I have lived in Europe and the past few years in Minnesota. This is the best place for the Somali's, what we have here is great. Yes we have problems, and we have some ****** trying to ruin it for everyone, but on the whole its a growing vibrant community..

Waryee Dukey! :D I have asked you a year ago which city of the two, Minneapolis and London you preferred and you answered was London. Now it seems you have gotten the hang of Minnesota. Good to hear.

On the topic:

I have lived here more than a decade and the Somali community here is the most productive of both Europe and Canada. There were several consecutive isolated incidents involving somali youth gangs commiting crimes against their kind and within the community...and believe me the community is aware and they always talk about it in every gathering. The issue is addressed in Mosques, Islamic conference as well as other gatherings.

Secondly, It's my believe that America is nation of Immigrants combining the cultures, experience and talents of various people from different corners of the world. The Somali community have brought their own customs and cultures. The Somali community has kept their known customs intact for most part. Largely due to Madras a and charter schools which teach both English, Somali and Arabic as part of its curriculum. These sorta schools have been hailed successful. The students that go to Somali charter schools have been proven to achieve and perform in far better level than those in state schools. I do not quite understand how the Somali have not embraced the American culture, they have by embracing the American way of life where permissible. however it certain case s it directly conflicts with what believe as a Muslim and not endorsing something that is complete opposite to Islam is not being Un american. For instance, instead of going to the bars, Somalis go to local Cafe shops, Somali socializing spots. Instead of perhaps buying meat from grocery stories, they go to Somali ones. I don't see anything wrong with that at all.

These sorta news reports can be misleading. However I have to see the actual report to see if it's dealing with facts. I'm sure there are allot exaggerated thins in it. As I'm sure the Somalis have gotten bad publicity wrap due to dire situation in their country. I'm sure if these TV medias put the same magnified glasses on other communities they would be sured to find out things to make you wonder.

N.O.R.F   

Forget UK and USA. He should do a report on Somalis in the khaliij :cool:

I knew the programme was coming on but completely forgot. I did see another programme on Somalis though. It was Ross Kemp's In Search of Pirates :(