Sign in to follow this  
Som@li

Top 10 dangerous destinations

Som@li   

Saturday, February 02, 2008

People are opting for more unforgettable holidays, but some countries can be risky even for the most adventurous travellers. Forbes.com has compiled a list of the most dangerous destinations.

1. Somalia: This Horn of Africa country has been in the grip of warlords for 10 years, fighting for control of drug and weapon trafficking rights. Risks include military clashes, kidnapping, landmines and pirates.

2. Iraq: Military action, collateral damage, insurgency and suicide bombings are daily occurrences in the country. Security experts say unstable areas include Baghdad and stretch from Tikrit in the north to Hillah in the south and from Mandali in the east to Ramadi in the west.

3. Afghanistan: Even though the ruling Taliban regime was officially ousted in 2001, attacks from those still loyal to it and to al-Qaeda continue.

4. Haiti: Haiti, the western hemisphere's poorest country, is plagued by civil unrest and police corruption.

5. Pakistan: The country, which borders Afghanistan, suffers from ongoing geopolitical turmoil. Bomb attacks and rioting between Shia and Sunni Muslim communities are a threat. In December 2007, opposition leader Benazir Bhutto was assassinated during a suicide bombing.

6. Sudan: Despite a peace agreement in 2005, there are areas of extreme danger due to battles between government troops, militias and insurgents.

7. Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC): A civil war that formally ended in 2003 still affects the country. As Rwandan and Ugandan troops pulled out of DRC towards the end of the war, rival militias have been fighting to fill the power vacuum this created. Crime is rampant in major cities .

8. Lebanon: Culminating in the 2005 assassination of Prime Minister Rafik al-Hariri, Lebanon is split by pro- and anti-Syrian forces vying for control of the government. Other risks include military battles in the south with Israel.

9. Zimbabwe: Anti-western sentiment prominently expressed by officials, out-of-control inflation and oppression employed by the government to silence dissenting voices are common in Zimbabwe.

10. Palestinian Territories: The region is caught in a brutal tug-of-war between pro-Fatah and pro-Hamas factions. Political and military battles with Israel, especially in the Gaza Strip, have made this territory unstable.

Source: Reuters, February 02, 2008

Fabregas   

I swear Colombia was still one of the most dangerous places in the world? Far more dangerous than Lebanon. In fact one could say there are far more dangerous countries then Lebanon. Sri Lanka is far more dangerous then many of those countries, let alone Lebanon with its few political assisination here and there!

Baluug   

^Yeah, their corrupt governments, for the most part. America can be blamed for Iraq and Afghanistan, but they weren't much safer before the US invaded, sadly. So really, the only country in there that can't be blamed for its own trouble is Palestine.

Dangerous ..... relatively !

these places and most of the world would be dangerous for American. completely their doing

and I bet most SOLers have been to more than 1 place on that list.

personally I have lived in 3 countries on that list.

so it depends on who you are and what you have done to make the world such a dangerous place for you

Chimera   

I don't care, i love my country, no amount of intentional misrepresentation/degradation will change this feeling

So fck off with your 10 destinations you damn Herpes.com..i mean forbes.com

ElPunto   

Sensationlist American crap. Who made the calculation that Somalia is more dangerous than Iraq? Likely folks who can't find either country on a map.

^ truth hurts haye?

Fact is fact.

No one can argue against these nations listed are not dangerous, so why all the hostility towards forbes corporation?

Get over it, this isn't about religion or color, the list is based on facts, our country included is the most dangerous of all, lawless for over close to 2 decades. In land and even in the waters.

Did you really expect somalia to be rated somewhere on the top 50 or top 100, instead of the #1 most dangeous nation in the world?

Guys, read the news feeds, aid workers are pulling out. We are terrorizing the same very pple who risk their lives to save the innocent folks among our people, and you don't think that #1 spot is deserving?

Chimera   

With ''We'' i'm assuming you mean the 'American backed Somali fake government' and prior to 2006 'American backed warlords' who were also throughout the Anarchy funded by the 'American backed Ethiopian Dictatorship' and today illigally occuppied by the same 'American backed entity'. The 'American' media company Forbes makes a nice list of trouble spots yet totally excludes it's government's role in these conflicts hence my reply I don't care, god willing it will be my destination this summer nr1 ama nr 144 i don't care..Viva Somalia

^ true we have our own version of Hamid Karazia back home, not for long inshalaah.

Anybody saying Somalia is the most dangerous has not been there in a long time or has never been there... but just listens to this BS that is masquerading as news.

I remember one time I happened into a isbaaro right in the middle of bakaaro on my way home from school. these two guys robbed me and my freind. just before they left us i asked him to give us 1000 for bus fare because i lived on the other side of the city.... he gave me and my friend a 1000 shillings each.

now imagine getting robbed in america and doing the same thing, crazy trigger happy ***** would probably empty his clip into you.

xataa tuugteena waa ka sharaf badanyihiin kuwaan, and they put us on the top of the list.

winnie   

uhmm, am i like the only spoiled somali? i totally see somalia as this place where everyboyd has an a.k, including your grandma... personally im not scared, but if i were a non somali i would be.

geel-jire... poverty in somalia is different than poverty in u.s., meaning people robbing in somalia are doing it for food or to provide for family, most likely, where as here, where there is a real drug problem in inner cities, if you get robbed its, most likely, for drug money, hence the difference in technique. i wouldnt say that somali criminals are more sharaff than your average criminal, although those were some very gentlemanly thieves you ran into.

These things never happen in somalia

COCKEYSVILLE, Md. (AP) - A 15-year-old boy is facing murder charges in the shooting deaths of his parents and two younger brothers in their home in a Baltimore suburb.

and

CHICAGO, Illinois (CNN) -- Police continue to search for a gunman who shot and killed five women Saturday morning at a suburban Chicago strip mall, a Tinley Park police spokesman said

these types of stories are common these days.

and this is just over the weekend, this time next week I could add probably another 10 similar incidents.

granted somalia is a bit unstable but this is a level of craziness we dont have to deal with

Kool_Kat   

Originally posted by thugged out but cant feel my feet:

uhmm, am i like the only spoiled somali? i totally see somalia as this place where everyboyd has an a.k,
including your grandma...
personally im not scared, but if i were a non somali i would be.

The thought of a grandma carrying an a.k. is scary, let a lone a place where everyone is carrying one...NO THANKS... :D

Dabshid, Somaliland aad dee, or would you be considered a foreigner? After all they were saying dadkii South ka ka qaxay waxey ahaayeen qaxootiyee... :D