Sign in to follow this  
-Nomadique-

No more African Refugees in Australia: Andrews

No more African refugees: Andrews

Wednesday Oct 3 05:00 AEST

By ninemsn staff

Immigration Minister Kevin Andrews has announced that no more refugees from Africa will be allowed in the country until July next year.

In a statement that has been labelled "simplistic" by opponents, Mr Andrews said the humanitarian refugee program's quota for Africans had already been filled.

He also gave no guarantee any African refugees would be allowed in during the next intake.

"We won't be considering any new applications until June or July next year," Mr Andrews told the Herald Sun.

Australia is expected to accept about 3900 African refugees this year for immigration. This makes up 30 percent of Australia's humanitarian refugee intake.

The percentage of Africans allowed in the country has significantly dropped in recent years, with a 50 percent quota of refugees coming from Africa in 2005-06 and 70 percent in 2004-05.

Mr Andrews said the reason for the cuts on African refugee intake is because of concerns for their ability to integrate.

"Whether we leave it at 30 per cent or take it up or down will depend very much on whether we are having success in terms of their integration into the broader community, and what other humanitarian refugee needs there are around the world," he said.

Among the African nations, he singled out the Sudanese as having the most problems integrating in Australia.

"They tend to have more problems and challenges associated with them. Their level of education, for example, is a lot lower than for any other group of refugees," he said.

"They've been in war-torn conflict for a decade, many of them. Many are young ... and many have been in refugee camps for decades.

"It doesn't make much sense to me to acknowledge you have a problem ... but not actually slow down the rate of intake until you've dealt with it," he said.

But senior federal Labor MP Alan Griffin slammed Mr Andrews for what he calls "a simplistic approach".

"I think the real issue here is what's being done in terms of support services, and I think this Government's been pretty ordinary when it comes to providing support services."

"The nature of refugees is that there are almost always going to be issues," he said.

Source

Good for the Africans,who wants to go "Austria" anyway? smile.gif

So,Is Howard winning this thing? if they do,I will personally migrate to Australia and educate these dundees!!

^At this point the opposition leader Kevin Rudd is ahead in the polls most people are tired of Howard and want a change. Howard can't be ruled out entirely though. The Liberals are up to their dirty tricks again and as usual are appealing to the lowest common denominator - racists and the ignorant. It worked before and they are hoping it will work again.

Buuxo   

"They tend to have more problems and challenges associated with them. Their level of education, for example, is a lot lower than for any other group of refugees," he said.

what is wrong with this guy and where does he get his info from? singling out sudanese refugees as the least educated ,i could think of a few refugee groups that are worse. At least the sudanese bother learning the language.When did the level of education of an individual have a bearing on their refugee status and acceptance.I don't know how much discretion he has, but it is deplorable that he is cherry picking refugees.

I was planning to donkey vote this coming election, but know im leaning towards Labor.

Intel   

impeccable timing as always innit, it ain't gonna work this time little man.

Howard is on the ropes die $%^&$%^& die :mad:

Intel   

looks like Howards bigoted government is finally getting unstuck Val. adi ma soo socotaa?

i like this

:D:D

No more African Refugees in Australia: Andrews

I say,good news for the Africans. They should also transport all those wonderful Somis from there & ship them to say,London or Minneapolis. icon_razz.gif

Seriously tho',I will be a depressed Farax if Howard wins,like seriously!