Sign in to follow this  
Faheema.

SAD

Faheema.   

Name is so fitting, wondering which genius came with that :D

At some point, everyone of us suffers from this wouldn't you say?

Seasonal affective disorder

Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) is a type of depression which has a seasonal pattern. The most common form of SAD is also called 'winter depression' because symptoms are worst in the winter months. Symptoms tend to start from around September and are worse when the days are shortest (in December, January and February). By springtime, most people with SAD will improve and symptoms usually disappear. Seasonal affective disorder can sometimes affect people in the summer rather than the winter, but this is rare and has different symptoms.

Around 1 in 50 people in the UK have SAD. The condition affects twice as many women than men. You can develop SAD at any age, but it is most common in people aged 18-30. Like any type of depression, SAD can be a difficult condition to live with. Symptoms can leave you feeling tired, lethargic, stressed and unhappy. However, there are a number of treatments and medications available that have been proven to be very effective in treating SAD.

When the sun is out, many people tend to feel happier and more energetic. When it is dark and gloomy, many of us feel more lethargic and less sociable. The amount of sunlight we get can affect our mood, appetite, energy levels and sex drive. Up to 1 in 8 people in the UK experience these milder symptoms of winter 'blues' (sub-syndromal SAD). For people with SAD however, these feelings and symptoms are much more severe.

Studies around the world have shown that SAD becomes more common the further you are away from the equator. This suggests that SAD is linked to the change in the number of daylight hours through the year.

SymptomsThe symptoms of seasonal affective disorder (SAD) are cyclical. This means that symptoms tend to go away and then come back again at the same time each year. Symptoms usually begin in September, and will normally start to ease by early spring. However, every individual experiences SAD differently, and symptoms can vary from person to person.

At the start of the autumn, symptoms are usually relatively mild. As winter progresses and sunlight diminishes, symptoms tend to worsen.

SAD can be a difficult condition to live with, and symptoms can have a significant impact on the way you live your day-to-day life.

The symptoms of SAD include:

feeling tired and lacking in energy,

sleep problems, such as disturbed sleep at night, sleeping for longer and feeling sleepy during the day,

loss of sex drive,

stress and anxiety,

social withdrawal,

feelings of guilt and worthlessness,

weepiness,

changes in appetite, such as a craving for carbohydrates and sweet foods,

mood swings,

weight gain,

difficulty concentrating, and

loss of interest in activities you used to enjoy.

Read more...

nuune   

feeling tired and lacking in energy,

sleep problems, such as disturbed sleep at night, sleeping for longer and feeling sleepy during the day,

loss of sex drive,

stress and anxiety,

social withdrawal,

feelings of guilt and worthlessness,

weepiness,

changes in appetite, such as a craving for carbohydrates and sweet foods,

mood swings,

weight gain,

difficulty concentrating, and

loss of interest in activities you used to enjoy.

Shaqa la'aan qof ka badatey unbaa waxan oo dhan isla wada qaba, I will call it Mayyac-garoor

Malika   

^Dont be quick to judge said a SAD sufferer.. :D ,walle if I show you the list of tasks I under take in a day you wouldnt call 'us SAD people' Mayyac-garoor[whatever that means though] :D

Its a sydrome only in the west,ofcourse only the privilage suffer of this.. smile.gif

-Lily-   

It is only in the West because of lack of sunshine during the winter.

Anyone who has suffered this before would be a fool to suffer it twice since the tell tell signs are obvious. Th eonly way to get through long winter nights is to keep busy, have fab nights out/in and action packed wkends.

Faheema.   

^quite true, never heard of it til now....winter blues I hear about but didn't think it was this serious. Ilahy ha u sahlo.

lol@Nuune & Malika, only those who can afford to be dhe :D

Sad another excuses to disregard Allah’s blessings. I mean how can one stay Sad when you see and hear the state of Somali? You should feel sad for those who are dodging bullets(Bullets created by the somali men) on daily basis and become ignited the need to help them instead of reading this man made studies

nuune   

Faheema, lol, I think waxan dhan cudurka buufiska la dhaho ayuu salka ku hayaa, not the buufis for dhoofitaanka, but buufiska dadka dulleesto :D

stress, depression iyo waxyaala kale qurbaha lee loogu imaadey,

qof iska caadi ah oon waxba qabin, caafimad iyo nolol wanaagsan ku nool ayaad arki asagoo leh, waxaa i hayo stress, oo maxaa sababey, ma aqaano ayuu ku orani, tan miyeysan aheyn buufiska nooca guuxa waliba.

-Lily-   

Can I just remind you that depression does not need to have a cause, you can have everything you want and still be depressed. So can we not make light of other people's suffering. This is typical Somali attempt to make commedy out of the mental state. Instead of thanking the Lord you're not afflicted you say it doesn't exist.

nuune   

Lily, depression is another category, laakin stresska ay Soomaalida sidii taraawiixda u isticmaasho waaye dhibka, cunug yaroo 14 jir aad arkee dhahaayo stress aa i haayo, hadaa weydiisana ku jawaabaayo wlaahai ma aqaano

^I’m simply pointing out that when people loss perspective of the world outside and only focus on the world within them is when things like SAD become a worthy thing to pay attention to smile.gif

Faheema,

I completely respect ur keenness in defending such people however these people are going around claiming to be effect with such disorder when in reality all they are missing is the realization of Allah’s blessing.

And if someone here is affected with such disorder than I urge them to do something with themselves, like Public Services rather sitting at home feeling sorry for themselves.

I’m sorry if I sound like I’m offending them or disrespecting their disorder but come’on, if they are 6” above the ground than they need to walk on it rather than acting like they are under it!

May Allah help them see their blessing!