Sign in to follow this  
Pujah

Have you ever?

My friend said to me a while ago,

"I'm gonna be successful [in his chosen career]"

"Say Insha-Allah dude, what's wrong with you?" I replied, slighty panicky. I forgot he had never heard the praise before, and I had to explain why I was so jumpy about it.

Even when I'm in class and I'm listening to a speech, I mutter 'Insha-Allah' under my breath every time they make some kind of promise or commitment or talk about the future.

My friends now know it, some of them say "God willing" in English now.

AYOUB   

Originally posted by NGONGE:

[QBSurely everyone (Muslim or otherwise) has a
Raqeeb
and
Cateed
(the angels on the right and left)! Otherwise how will they be given their books on the Day of Judgment and know where they stood?

The two angels are Muslims-only privilege. You never walk alone - only if you're a Muslims. :D Non-Muslims (ahlkitaab?) are rewarded (in this world) for their good deeds. If they die, they'll be resurrected with nothing to show for it. I'm not expert in this field and don't quotes on me but it makes sense because Muslims' pillars of faith are based in believing in Allah, angels, books, messengers, last day (qiyaama) and divine pre-destination. If one doesn't believed in that then the case is closed.

Ibtisam, You missing the 'and' bit or 'wa', you see that by saying Allaah said without adding 'and then' someone else said, you're actually committing a sin! So Allaah said and then prophet Muhammed peace be upon him said, understand?

Ngongne it is true that we as muslims should not initiate the greetings of kaafirs, which is haraam, but when they say 'As-Salaamu calaykum' one should reply with 'wa calaykum' only which means 'and upon you' but not the full salaam! That is a valid hadith in Sahih Al Bukhari and Sahih Al-Muslim!

The Prophet peace be upon him said:

"Do not greet the Jews and the Christians with salaam." However, if they salaam first, we may reply by saying "wa alaykum" (and upon you)." (Bukhari and Muslim)

I know that some of the scholars use the aayah in suuratu an-Nisaa such as from the Tafsiir of Ibn Abbas but to say and finish the greeting by actually uttering the words of peace isn't desirable! In fact on cannot wish salaam on the kuffaar! Let alone going over it by adding 'May Allah's mercy be upon you'!

Also another hadith says:

“Do not commence by greeting the Christians and Jews with Salam. If you meet one of them on a pathway, force them to walk on the side” recorded by Imaam al-Bukhari!

If a Jew, Christian or fire-worshipper greets you, then there is nothing wrong in replying to them, but one should not say more than ‘Wa alaykum’.

Remember the word 'Salaam' itself is one of the names of Allaah the glorified!

It also says:

Imam al-Bukhari records a Hadith in his Sahih on the authority of Anas ibn Malik (Allah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said: If the people of the book (ahl al-Kitab) greet you, say in reply: Wa alaykum (and also on you)”. (Sahih al-Bukhari).

This is the sunnah of the prophet peace be upon him. However he also greeted a combined gathering/conference of Muslims and non-muslims by saying 'Peace be upon you' but one should keep it in his heart to do the salaam on muslims only, so the prophet was technically addressing the muslims amongst them but not the kaafirs/kuffaar!

"If the people of the book give you the greeting of peace, then say, 'Wa Alaikum (and upon you)." [al-Bukhaaree]

Suuratu an-Nisaa says: 'When you are greeted with a greeting, greet in return with what is better than it, Or (at least) return it equally.'

The scholars such bin Abbas say that the 'return with what is better than it' refers to muslims and the other bit of 'or return it equally to kaafirs!

The above aayah reaffirms that muslims as prescribed from the sunnah and from the shariicah to greet Muslims by actually exceeding and greeting them better than what one was greeted with!

The prophet peace be upon him also said that we shold not greet kaafirs first and to push the reply the greeting to its narrowest part!

"Do not intiate the greeting with the Jews and Christians and his command to reply by saying, Wa alaykum."

So if a kaafir says to me 'As-salaamu calaykum wa rahmatullah', then I will simply reply with 'Wa alaikum' but that doesn't mean that I'm wishing any mercy from Allaah as he's currently in his kaafir state!

So yes I agree that we should not be silent about the greeting and narrow it to its smallest nominator by actually saying 'Wa alaikum', which means 'And you too'!

So if a muslims says 'As-salaamu calaykum'! One should reply 'Wa calaykumu salaam waraxmatullah'!

And if one is greeted with 'As-salaamu calaykum waraxmatullah' one should answer 'Wa calaykumu salaam waraxmatullaahi wa barakatuh'!

It say's when greeted then that we should greet in return by saying the words that are uttered by the kaafirs!

So does it mean if a kaafir says to you 'As-Salaamu Alaikum Wa rahmatullah' that you reply the same? No I would guess.

Because you cannot wish peace and and the mercy of Allaah upon the kaafirs on someone who doesn't belief in Allaah the exalted!

The islamic greeting is only for muslims and if kaafirs greet us with it then we simply reply 'And you too'! That is the right way from the sunnah of the prophet peace be upon him but it is not recorded in the sunnah that the prophet peace be upon him, that when he was greeted by the salaam that he replied with the full salaam! In fact he encouraged to only reply 'and you too' but by not actually saying the salaam on the kaafirs!

That's what actually the sunnah says and kaafirs should not be subjected on the name of Allaah upon their disbelieving souls!

So whenever a kaafir person says to you the salaam then we should not promptly, "Wa alaykum al-salaam (and upon you be peace). We should say only "alaykum (upon you)" or "wa alaykum (and upon you)."

I will not offer the salaam first to a kaafir inshallah, that is absolutely and totally prohibited although Imaam Maalik sees nothing wrong with it!

I will only reply "wa alaikum" but not with the salaam!

RedSea   

Ayoub,

If none Muslim says 'asaamu calaykum' to you, you should then respond in the same response which the Prophet gave when he was greeted with the same greeting by the Jews which is 'wa'laykum'.

However, in another case, if non Muslims greets you with the FULL greetings 'assalamu calaykum' , then the appriate response isn't wa'alka, but 'wa'alkum masalam'.

Offcourse, as one nomad mentioned an angels are on the shoulders of everyone, whether they might be Muslims or non Muslims. Because they have to write down the deeds which will be used to judge one in the hereafter.

MKA Yonis,

I am bit disapointed that you lack the basic knowledge of how to greet a non Muslim. I suggest you check your sources one more time brother, before you embrass yourself. You greet non Muslim just as you would to a Muslim IF they greet you just a Muslim would. That is not something I came up with, it's according to the traditions of the Prophet peace be upon him.

Challenge:

I challenge to come up with a hadith or any situation, where non Muslims greeted a Muslim in FULL greetings (assalamu calaykum) and which the Muslims replied, 'wa'laka'...it didnt' happen.

here I quote you:

“Do not commence by greeting the Christians and Jews with Salam. If you meet one of them on a pathway, force them to walk on the side” recorded by Imaam al-Bukhari!

This doesnt' apply to the what we are discussing. This is basically saying, to not greet a non Muslim First, never greet a Kafir unless they do so, nor give them a room when walking in a hallway, let them be the ones that give you a room to walk. This would apply if we were discussing a topic such as "is it appriariate to greet a non Muslim first"? and so forth....

Moreoever, the above verse, you quoted from Surah to Nissa, should also highlight a great deal of how you should respond it says there exactly, that should reply equally or even better

except it, maxaa yeelay waa xaqiiqadu sida ay tahay. smile.gif

Khalaf   

didnt want to jump in but sxb red why overloook this: Imam al-Bukhari records a Hadith in his Sahih on the authority of Anas ibn Malik (Allah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said: If the people of the book (ahl al-Kitab) greet you, say in reply: Wa alaykum (and also on you)”. (Sahih al-Bukhari).?

As long as i can remember i never felt comfrotable saying the full greetings to non-muslims, never seen my family members do it, nor the imams, i know, marka i dont greet non-muslims with the greetings of the messengers of God and the greeting of paradise. mida kale why argue of small matters sxbs? there is hadith that says u are not true believer unless u know your neighbors (muslim or not), help them, ect how many do that?...but u are arguing about salaam....c'mon now....do some positive

RedSea   

^You are more than open to jump in, this should be one of your expertise right?

Your family, nor seeing or hearing an Imam saying it isn't good enough saaxib, we need full prove, like the hadith above.

in addition, we are not speaking of neighbors saaxib, I dont' where you got that from and this isnt' 'small' matter, maybe to you it's, but not the same case in my case.

Onto the topic:

That is authentic Hadith buddy, I will not dispute it.

Now find me a Hadith saying or denying that one may NOT reply 'wa'laykum masalam'.

The Ayah from suratu Nissa already states that you should reply with equal or better reply if you are greeted with 'salamu calaykum'.

Once again, we are not denying the existance of the Hadith. But I am sure almost 100% and have asked various sheikhs in this state of what to say, almost all of them said.

If a non Muslims greets you with the appriorate greeting (salamu calaykum), then reply with 'w'alakym masalam'. If we took that hadith above as an example, then I gues you CAN also say *****ayka as well.

But the point of discussion, can you say in full or can't you not?

Khalaf   

Sxb red ill ignore your first question and stick wit the topic!. I didnt want to jump in to let MKA explain it...c its not about debates more of understanding...tho i dont c this is big deal when most somalis dont even say salaam but bal waraan!

I cant prove anything sxb, because i have no knowledge of it, personally i dont give non-muslims the full islamic greeting... but just:

The Ayah from suratu Nissa already states that you should reply with equal or better reply if you are greeted with 'salamu calaykum'.

^^^okey what is better then or equal to salaamu alaykum? it is adviced to reply better then the one who greets: Wa alaykum salaam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu....do u know what this means? Could we say may the peace and blessings of Allah be with u to a kafir? U may sxb.....its free world your choice...if u are confused and want to learn more fadlik ppl go ask the learned.

Edit: my fault for the repeat, looks like MKA drilled dat point home alreadly.....great minds think alike nooh ;) ........not there at your level yet adeer! :D ........wa Khalas!

RedSea   

^So you can't prove anything? okay.....then I suggest you watch and listen from the sidelines, fair enough?

Let me give you a homework for your to think about tonight or ask around you nearest sheikh okay?

If a non Muslim comes to you and says to you 'Salamu calaykum' your exact should be 'wa'alaykum masalam'.

It's not about agreeing with someone, or having ' great mind' it's what is right and what isn't.

Ask someone and come back to me.

Another related topic: hadii uu qof hindhiso, maxaad ku odhan lahayd?

thanks,

NGONGE   

MK,

You did a bit of cyber gymnastics there but in the end we went back full circle, saaxib. The wish for peace and blessings would still be implied in your words. :D

Khalaf   

Originally posted by Shucayb:

^So you can't prove anything? okay.....then I suggest you watch and listen from the sidelines, fair enough?

Let me give you a homework for your to think about tonight or ask around you nearest sheikh okay?

If a non Muslim comes to you and says to you 'Salamu calaykum' your exact should be 'wa'alaykum masalam'.

It's not about agreeing with someone, or having ' great mind' it's what is right and what isn't.

Ask someone and come back to me.

Another related topic: hadii uu qof hindhiso, maxaad ku odhan lahayd?

thanks,

^^^ ina adeer iga jooji ciyal nimada sxb, if u are an odey props to u but don’t talk me down....I don’t need to do “homework” I know my deen very well but unlike others I am not hardheaded. Mida kale ppl believe what they choose to believe, MKA already settled this matter logically......take or leave it.

As for the hindhiso to the muslims u say ya raxamah ka lah, to the non-muslims u ask Allah to guide them to Islam. Nabad gelyo.

RedSea   

LOOOOL. Khalaf,inadeer kama wadin sidaas, waan kula kaftamaya ee wax kale ha u qaadan.

Adna ha igu dhaga hadlin dee marka aad leeday 'hardheaded' siday kaa noqotay sheikh.

MKA hasn't settle anything nor could he, the way it was, is the way it will always remain. Its' not how MKA said it to be sxb.

Mida kale MKA wuxuu diin ka yaqaan baa iska yar, cuz he doesn't practice what he preaches. He is pro TFG, sh. Cumar Faruq said, anyone who supports the Melez driven TFG is therefore a Gaal also....serious thing isn't it?

good day,

Cara.   

How typical. What was meant to be a light-hearted observation about an everyday occurence degenerates into egotistic personality clashes masquerading as pseudo-religious mumbo jumbo.