Sign in to follow this  
walaashiis

Somali Cultural Dances

I would like to know all Somali cultural dances such as Seylici, Dhanto, and others would please list any of Somalia cultural dances from north to south to east or west to central all Somalis thank you very much and if you can tell me where to get books or video or even cd/tapes I would real like that

Thank you my nomads peoples

Paragon   

^Malika, battar ama heelo. In the NFDs only women play. Men dance saar - which is similiar to the part (sheylilaah chant) in the vid I posted.

Serenity, you are welcome and thanks for the link as well. I have seen that video and its good. There was one hell of a scene of Seylici I saw in a documentary on TV long time ago, where all ethnicites in Ethiopia were parading their cultural superiority. The other cultures came with farmer dances and tools such as axes or sickles but the Somalis came with Seylici and one scary brandishing of daggers and spears and very scary sounds/chants..

The presenter himself was concerned :D

Anyway..here is what me old grandfathers use to dance:

hear the lil kids gigging in the background smile.gif

Malika   

^Where I grew up,men and women danced heelo..Similarily in Isiolo,Kitali iyo dinacaas.

Looking for a good Dhaanto video clip,its also a beautiful dance.

ps.Paragon,what would be the intepretation of our dances? As there seem to be a pattern,men go forward toward women,women follow men ..on and on..lol

Malika   

Paragon,Check this out an old clip but darn! the dance is good.

Okay,good is understating,its blooming fabulous dancing..

soo bax,soo bax! :D

Paragon   

Serenity, waa yahay. Will post me links for you and Malika's enjoyment hadhoow.

Malika its good runtaa. You see where the men raise they hands in the air and move to and fro? That's from a Diisoow dance by mostly in lower Somalia/NFDs (a dance of lo'leey - cowboys).

There is another called Gaaleeyso (balaqleey to some) that is danced by hardcore camel boys :D

Originally posted by MiiMi:

^Serenity maxaa soo kordhay baryahan...First the Somali Books, now the interest in cultural dances
:D

Obviously I met a Farah who thinks I should be more Somali! :D

Its just a realization that if I'm ever to have a say or any respect in a Somali gathering, waa in aan af soomaali ku sheega my points. I joined to help a local community and mentor some students, and at the meetings, everyone speaks Somali except me. This old man said to me the 1st time I asked permission to speak in English (right after they discussed how the language has been lost on young people here) 'Adeer, af soomaali ku hadal. Ja jabso hadaad rabti, waanu ku sixiye'. I wanted the ground to swallow me up! :(

Also SL, Kenya and DJ are my holiday destinations next year hadii Allah idmo, so do not want to feel like an !diot, marka Soomaali laygula hadlo ana aan ku jawaabo 2/3 English. I mean, what would Daahir Riyaale think if I spoke to him in English or puerile Soomaali? icon_razz.gif

Thats why I think my Soomali should improve. As for dances, I've always liked them. I'm always at the forefront of all the aroos and meher's trying to get a glimpse of islaamaha is lulaya. :D

Paragon   

Lol@I wanted the ground to swallow me up. Odeyga muxuu sidaa kuugu galay? :D

Horta gabdhaha markeey af-Somali isku-dhex-karis ah ku hadlaan waa 'cute' laakiin NGONGE markuu af-Somali ku hadlo ilmahaa ka sassa! smile.gif