Sign in to follow this  
Ibtisam

Canadian union wants ban on Israeli academics

Ibtisam   

Where is Haneefa? smile.gif

Ontario union wants ban on Israeli academics

A proposed resolution by a major Ontario union to ban Israeli academics at the province's universities has sparked a bitter debate between leaders on both sides over an Israeli attack on a Gaza university.

The Ontario arm of the Canadian Union of Public Employees announced yesterday it would propose, in a meeting next month,
"a ban on Israeli academics doing speaking, teaching or research work at Ontario universities,"
if they do not explicitly condemn Israeli action in Gaza.

The proposal comes specifically after a
Dec. 29
attack on an Islamic university in Gaza, which Israel claimed was affiliated with Hamas.

"Attacking an institution of learning is just beyond the pale,"
CUPE Ontario president Sid Ryan said last night. "They deliberately targeted an institution of learning.
That's what the Nazis did."

The connection - of Israel to the Nazi regime - infuriated Bernie Farber, chief executive officer of the Canadian Jewish Congress, who said no one yet knows whether the university was a legitimate target, and that Mr. Ryan's comments were "nasty and bigoted rhetoric."

"What happened at the university still is in question. Was it a place where arms are being stored?" Mr. Farber said. "Anyone who compares Jews and Nazis really enters into the dark realm of anti-Semitism. Mr. Ryan should be absolutely ashamed of himself."

CUPE Ontario, which has about 20,000 members in Ontario's universities, in 2006 passed a notorious resolution supporting boycotts of Israeli goods, sparking a firestorm of debate.

Mr. Ryan said of CUPE's latest proposal: " I will admit already I've gotten a whole host of angry voicemails. ... I've been threatened before, so bring it on."

He said the move wouldn't apply to Israeli-born Canadian academics, but only visiting scholars. Mr. Farber questioned whether Israeli Arabs would also be included.

"I have to tell you, nothing that Sid Ryan does in relation to Israel surprises me," Mr. Farber said.

Sid Ryan is going to be teared apart by the Neo Zionist, you guys need to send an e-mail campaign of support if you can.

Source:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.2 0090106.CUPE06/TPStory/TPNational/Ontario/