Sign in to follow this  
Peacenow

The Failed Somali Community in the UK

Sophist   

Alhamdulilah, relatively, we are doing better considering many factors.

However, a lot needs to be done-- working together to contribute to the communal good of our people is paramount in realising the dream of being a successful immigrant. The amount of young people roving around the streets of London aimlessly is astonishing to say the least--- perhaps I am being an old bugger and these young men (and increasing many young ladies) are innocently wondering around London not up to anything naughty smile.gif .

The most challenging issue is the parents to realise for the time being UK is their “home”. The young to realise, the most realistic way to lead monetarily a successful life is to get a good education; not to become a rapper or a footballer.

Sophist

I know number of young Somali professionals who pay more than £1500 in tax and insurance contributions. Shabta ama Ceydha dadkoo idili ma daabacaan.

Ibtisam   

It is awfully close minded to try and categorise what is, and what is not a successful life. What makes a footballer or let’s just say an athlete less successful then a lawyer? they both pay their way, have their own problems to deal with and enjoy the highs and lows of their chosen path, one physically works hard, while the other mentally excises his brain.

The whole superior complexity of this issue is getting to me. :rolleyes:

I see a lot of hard work Somali youngsters, who are focused and dedicated to whatever is important to them or whatever goal they have set themselves. Not everyone aspires to the same or even similar things in life, and as long as they don’t harm anyone in the process, good luck to them.

On the other hand, there are many youngsters who are a bit lost, aimless looking for direction and too scared of their own community, without any facilitates to help them or address their problems, so they turn to the streets etc. They need us to reach out to them not isolate them and cast them out. It is our fault (as a society)that these youngsters have lost their way, the parents for losing touch with their kids.

Until we have facilities and organisations who can address those issues, the future of the Somali people in the UK will dramatically change, as 2nd 3rd and 4th generations Somalis are born.

Sophist   

^Darling, how many make into becoming a successful athlete or a footballer in comparison to Lawyers, Doctors, Traders, Consultants, Engineers etc in the real world? There are more roles for these sort of jobs; that is just a fact.

Sophist

NB: I am not a social snob; but there is a case for being an educational snob :D

Ibtisam   

Sweety, :rolleyes: The level of competition in a sector has nothing to do with judging someone's success in life?

Why did I think education encouraged diversity and open-mindedness. No one asked you to be their friend just don't pass any judgement on them.

In the real world lawyers, doctors, traders, consultants and engineers are a whole category of different sectors lumped together and cannot therefore be pinned against just one sector for comparison (athletics) :D

[ August 06, 2007, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: Ghanima ]

Malika   

^^^ smile.gif

This is my two cent of opinion and observation on the issue..

There is a real problem with boys in general across all communities, and nobody seems to know what to do with them. With the demise of the traditional model of the male breadwinner, in regular work, bringing home a ‘family wage’ , the old incentives to become a respectable, working man – status, pride, security- are collapsing. Most raised in single parent household with lack of male role models. They are faced with uncertainty within their day to day living .Being in school isn’t the same as it used to be, it can be quite an intimidating place. So what is there left but to turn to lawlessness, aggressive culture of masculinity. Unfortunately through this culture, boys often prove themselves men through criminal rather then work activities. So the task is re evaluating how we raise our boys taking into account all the challenges they encounter in a foreign environment with its alien culture, plus the core reality of the fragmented home culture, were the core values aren’t instilled. Also how they are educated, statically boys are underachieving in schools this too contributes to “I don’t care attitude”. Despite all this the education authorities are now shifting their focus from Black boy’s underachievement and focusing on white working class hooded boys. In recent training session, the topic was how to tackle the hood culture which consists mainly of white boys and girls. So our children are not on the agenda anymore.

Despite having so many Somali organisations, very few actually reach out to the youngsters. There are few Somali outreach workers, career advisers, counsellors, Youth workers etc, these are desperately needed.

As for the role models, kudos to people like Raghe Omar, Waris Diriye and many others...There ought to be a light at the end of the tunnel for our youngesters..