Sign in to follow this  
Ibtisam

Somali Culture

NGONGE   

^^ Yes, but you forget that the dirac itself was mostly worn with no supporting...ahem..bras. :D

(I'm well too).

Juxa   

buuxo the government did not force anyone to wear unislamic clothing.

somalida always been confused to separate deenta from dhaqanka.

trust ngonge to mention supportive stuff :eek:

Juje   

Originally posted by *Buuxo*:

The govt of the day did force many to wear un-islamic clothing to schools & public buldings soo maha? So it was not all a trend and socially accepted.

How was it un-islamic ? It is not like the kids were sent to school naked.

Buuxo   

^Do you consider gabdho qaangareey kids??

Juxa,local authorities,who got their cues from the govt.I was told by family that attended school & who worked as public servents. They weren't allowed to wear hijab, except for a masr/Gambo( what the old ladies wear only)

Cara.   

Do you think it has something to do with the fact that we didn't think of breasts as particularly sexual then? Maybe the guy didn't consider stuffing money down a woman's cleavage to be much more intrusive than handing it to her. I remember growing up not only did a woman not bother with bras but if she needed her arms free she would throw the garbasaar off and think nothing of how much skin she was showing. But tell her to take the masar/gambo off and she would be scandalized. That's arbitrary social mores for you.

Back then it was all about the bari :D You don't see Geeljire reminiscing about the dancer's upper half.

Juje   

Originally posted by *Buuxo*:

^Do you consider gabdho qaangareey kids??

Gabdho qaangareey were not sent to schools, and even them were not naked. They had guntino, garbosar, baati, surweel, shaati, iwm.

And yeah, before I forget, they were Muslims, them and their parents and their nation.

Buuxo   

Juje,imisaa lagu qaangaraa? qawanaansho maxaad utaaqan?

Im talking about schools(ie high school and above)in Xamar.

Cara,haha@bari.

Absolutely.Breast are only for the nourishment of babies. :D

I'm with Ibti on this one. Growing up here in the West, I feel like the community here had a secret meeting and decided to tell their kids about their fantasy Somalia rather the real one. Sometimes, I would see an old picture of women with Afro, wearing silk blouses with no bra and trousers or see through diracs without garbosaar or bra. I would watch Riwaayad and the songs, flirtations and poems and the way men(older)looked at the actresses are just overtly sexual.

Juxa   

buuxo, i think there was SUPPORT under those school uniforms

kaalaya somalia maxad moodeen?

not to mention back in the days ladies did not need much support, their bodies were not corrupted with junk food and their bits maxaaqeyn dhulka

however i believe it is fair to say, back in the days, ganbo and little garbasaar were suffient.

thanks allah alot of people have changed since and dress more islamicly

Originally posted by Cara.:

Back then it was all about the bari
:D
You don't see Geeljire reminiscing about the dancer's upper half.

as far as Im concenrend it still is .... and didn't you read the part where I said it was hypnotizing didn't even notice the top part :D

mowjada naga badala dadow ... sheekada meeshan haday gaadhay barako ma lahan

A_Khadar   

Ibti,

I guess you're right there were wrong elements in Somali culture but if you noted or watched the entire video/riwad, the conclusion and the main theme of these riwayads always is the danger they end up for those who practice such culture. Good example is the riwaayad called "Hablow Hadmaad Guursan Doontaa" It has similar actors like the one you referred including Sado Ali. At the end, they all became homeless.

I guess though Riwaayads presented bad culture, they weren't promotion but rather warning and educating.