Sign in to follow this  
Ibtisam

Somali Culture

Ibtisam   

When I think of Somali culture, often the first thing I think of is our dances.

Today I was watching a song posted by Aaliya and it had me reflecting. Incidentally on the recommended list of that video was various dancing videos, the content of some representing a Somali version of belly dancing or exotic dancing. Also on the list was one called Ditoote(Saado Cali) which is a riwayad from nnineteen sebenti codcodki, and in it, the women (Saado Ali) plays this provocative seductive women who takes money from the doctor and get this he tucks the money into her breast/cleavage. :eek:

How far Somali culture has changed in the west, because if you grew up in anything like my household you probably would’ve assumed that Somali culture was clean and about xishood, this that or the other. I would be watching “so you think you can dance” or "strictly come dancing" and without fail someone will always say “gaalo iyo quudukeed” now I feel like screaming really??? In the 70s, it was acceptable to tuck money into women cleavage- for a play I know but still it represents what barriers were deemed as socially acceptable. Not to mention dances that would give the modern exotic dancer a run for her money.

Somalis were iilbaax way before the so called gaalo!!

The recommended list feature on youtube is so evil.

I’ve concluded that Somali culture is in some ways just as bad as the so called western culture la inugu xuuxun jirey as youngsters.

Juxa   

ibti of course dadka qaarkood ilbax bey ahaayeen.

but the ilbax were few and did not represent the majority. that is my opinion

by exotic dance are you referring to 'niiko' that is an art form ... I once saw a woman doing it in afgoye in the annual "istun" festival and it was hypnotic qoortaaba i daashay sidaan isha kolba dhinac ula raacayay you'd think her lower body is completely disjointed from the top part.

Ibtisam   

Juxa, that is the point, it is NOT a minority. It was a social accepted norm.

There is always some poor ladies dragged around to do one dance or another.

Geel Jire what the hell is Istun? :eek: (beat yourself?)

Ibtisam   

Before I forget to mention, where are the xameri speaking folks. Juxa, this song

Does he say:

He who is married to your mother,

Continue with this sheeko

But he is not your father

Continue with this sheeko

What is he to you?

Atheer

Call me atheer women, call me atheer. (As in we are fair game or as they say in H&H call me daddy miyi?) :eek: If so that is the nasty’s shid ever!!! :eek:

Then he continues:

Odeka walakiis

Habarta duumashiid

:eek:

Someone please give it a different meaning, this one sure is :eek: redface.gif

Also one of the dancers is eating and burning herself with fire :eek: magic? or just don't burn?

Juxa   

never heard that song iga tag

istun was annual festival, like harvest festival in afgoye. there would be dances and folks will chase each other with ulo/sticks

never seen it either

ibti i can tell you it was never accepted by society as large, i remember being neighbour with famous niiko-dancer called mariza carbone or something, and people used to call her many names and i can tell you it was not flattering.

some superstitious festival that reer afgoue hold every year goes on for 3 days they believe if they do not hold the 'istun' the crops will not grow next year. basically two qabils oppose each other in mock combat with long thin sticks .. the battlefield is on the bank of the shabelle river ... the losing team is pushed into the river and next year they attend wearing an article of womens clothing.

there is even a small magic show by the 'baxaar' where he talks to his alligators/crocodiles

it sounds dry when written like that but it is alot of fun

Ibtisam   

^^^The Masi have similar thing as do the afur people. (Well I saw it on TV) :D

Juxa, I first heard it at a wedding, I thought I misheard. Then I keep seeing it on universal TV. :eek:

Originally posted by *Ibtisam:

When I think of Somali culture, often the first thing I think of is our dances.

lol! I wonder what is next on the list. Single mothers, khat, and islamic extremist?

Not actually. I tend to think of Somalis oral tradition, somali music, somali literature and nomadic customs, etc! Not Dance! If dance is the first thing that comes to your mind IBZ. This is not good.

N.O.R.F   

Bahalka ay dumarku tumaan at weddings and singing 'ho something or other' with 18 stone women jumping up higher than olympic athletes and then landing more gracefully than a ballerina! That's what first comes to mind when thinking of Somali dance.

Buuxo   

This is not our culture,xishood la'aan that is. Even with the niiko it was never performed by unclad women.

There is no denying that many somalis adhere to their religious beliefs and practises in the West.And I don't think it's just fear of western ways but the tragedies from the last 20 or so years has given many a wake up call to return to their deen.

NGONGE   

Originally posted by *Buuxo*:

This is not our culture,xishood la'aan that is. Even with the niiko it was never performed by unclad women.

There is no denying that many somalis adhere to their religious beliefs and practises in the West.And I don't think it's just fear of western ways but the tragedies from the last 20 or so years has given many a wake up call to return to their deen.

It's trends, dear. It ebbs and flows. Back then it was all xarragow and now it's all deen. This business of saying Somalia did not have such things in the 80s and 70s and 60s is nonsense. Short skirts were all the rage. Lack of hijabs (in social functions and sexy knee length dresses were accepted), men chatting women up openly was no big deal. It wasn't singers alone who did all of that (the mixed schools and the school uniforms alone give you an idea of what some would call the golden era of Somalia).

Be glad you, Ibti and the others don't have to show your black knees to the rest of the world. :D

(and how are you by the way? Long time no see).

Buuxo   

LOL@Ngonge,We should be thankful? :D

The govt of the day did force many to wear un-islamic clothing to schools & public buldings soo maha? So it was not all a trend and socially accepted.

Do you know what the dirac wearing majority use to say about the Short dresses gabdho? :D

(Im well & still alive.Soo ma wacanid?)