Sign in to follow this  
Ibtisam

Death Threats Force Wyclef Jean Into Hiding

Ibtisam   

Hip hop artist and Haiti's presidential hopeful Wyclef Jean has said he is in hiding after receiving death threats.

The former Fugees star revealed he received a telephone call telling him to leave the country.

The musician has put himself on the list of 30 potential candidates to become president of Haiti.

He had been due to find out whether his nomination was successful, allowing him to run in the November election.

But Haiti's electoral commission, known as the CEP, has postponed its announcement on who can run for the top position until Friday.

Haitian-born Jean said he did not know whether the commission would approve his candidacy but there had been questions about whether he met the residency requirements.

"We await the CEP decision but the laws of the Haitian Constitution must be respected," he said.

Later, Jean sent the Associated Press a one-word email: "Hope!"

There have been small protests throughout the capital Port-au-Prince over how the CEP is handling the situation.

During one peaceful march near its office, several dozen young men marched and sang in the rain.

Haiti's Constitution requires candidates to have lived in the country for the five consecutive years before the election.

Jean was brought up in the US but says his appointment as a roving ambassador by President Rene Preval in 2007 exempts him from the residency requirement.

Jean has been prominent in projects aimed at helping Haiti recover from this year's massive earthquake that killed around 300,000 people.

Haiti's president will preside over the spending of billions of pounds in foreign reconstruction aid.

YahooNews.

”here had been questions about whether he met the residency requirements.”

Silly people- how about if his fit or competent for that matter to run as a president? I find it shocking that people are willing to vote for this man on the basis of his popularity and not whether he has the qualifications or experience to run for office. He should just do us a favor and remove himself from the election.

Joke iyo nus.

Ibtisam   

Lol. I don't really know anything about his background, for all I know he has two degrees and PHds, while the other 29 are farmers or something.

I have yet to see anyone worthy of president being talked about. Some of the other guys are just military guys and old school teachers.

I agree I don't think rap and music can make one fit for president, but I doubt he will get through anyway.

NGONGE   

Originally posted by cynical lady:

”here had been questions about whether he met the residency requirements.”

Silly people- how about if his fit or competent for that matter to run as a president? I find it shocking that people are willing to vote for this man on the basis of his popularity and not whether he has the qualifications or experience to run for office. He should just do us a favor and remove himself from the election.

Joke iyo nus.

Now you're getting emotional, dear. :D

People almost ALWAYS vote on the basis of popularity. Wax fahan.

This man has accomplished a lot so far on his own merits. Therefore, hes well qualified to lead this country.

Haters n cheerleaders are always there! He just needs to ignore this and step on gas to lead his country.

SeeKer   

I was listening to him giving an interview on NPR the other day and he was questioned about the nuts and bolts of his policies, which center on anti corruption. The interviewer brought up the fact that he failed to pay taxes and owes the IRS about 2 million dollars and Wyclef blamed his accountants for the oversight.They also asked him about the misuse of foundation money that he raised for Haiti. He paid himself for concerts and other things with donation money. Sounds like he is already on the right track to being a presidential candidate icon_razz.gif

SeeKer   

lol @ science school. Shikamoo mwenzangu nataka kukuomba msamaha lakini mimi sikuepo shuleni lakini mashuguli ya maisha yanikimbisha. Will inshallah be embarking on my educational journey soon enough icon_razz.gif Hows the practice going?

Haatu   

Dee this "Shikamoo mwenzangu nataka kukuomba msamaha lakini mimi sikuepo shuleni lakini mashuguli ya maisha yanikimbisha". :D I only understood mimi and lakini :D

SeeKer   

^My bad dude.I'll be more careful next time.

In other new Wyclef has been disqualified and won't be able to run in the presidential race. The singer is quoted telling his supporters to Keep the faith :D

STOIC   

Haatu, I'll translate for you in my "Perfect" Somali writting smile.gif ...

Shikamoo(Nabaad) mwenzangu(Saxiibkey/saxibtaay) nataka(Waxaan rabaa) kukuomba(Kacootsathoo) msamaha(Ralii geliin) lakini mimi(aniiga) sikuepo(makuujiiroo) shuleni(school)(aniigaa school maddiktoo hataa) lakini mashuguli(haauul) ya (sha) maisha(nolloshathaa) yanikimbisha (ayaaii eeryesa)".

:D