Sign in to follow this  
Liqaye

A review of safari restaurant in the star tribune

Liqaye   

[Also I noticed that the comments made on somaliaonline where included on the article, good thing to know that this website is getting a well deserved reputation for intreasting comments on social issues]

Safari into Somali cuisine

Jeremy Iggers, Star Tribune Staff Writer September 16, 2004 IG0916

For the adventurous diner, the Twin Cities' Somali restaurants offer very tasty cuisine and tremendous value.

Minnesota is now home to tens of thousands of Somali refugees and a thriving Somali restaurant scene. By one estimate, there are more than 30 Somali restaurants in Minneapolis, though the precise number seems to fluctuate from week to week.

Chef/owner Sade Hashi

runs Safari. Tom Wallace Star Tribune

Many cuisines of faraway lands are too strange or spicy for the average American palate, but that's not a problem at Somali restaurants. The typical Somali menu offers many dishes that are familiar to American diners, including grilled steak, chopped beef with onions and peppers, fried chicken legs and grilled fish, served with your choice of spaghetti or rice pilaf, plus tossed salad and a ripe banana. The cost is usually less than $10, including beverage.

Somalia, a nation of 8 million on the east coast of Africa, was an Italian colony for many years, which explains the popularity of spaghetti with meat sauce and other pasta dishes. There is also a strong Arabic influence -- many Somali restaurants serve gyros, kebabs, and/or falafel sandwiches, and some serve foul , the Middle Eastern version of refried beans.

Safari's pan-sauteed king fish Tom WallaceStar Tribune

But there are some cultural adjustments that first-time visitors will have to make. Somalia is a devoutly Muslim country, so you won't find any pork on the menu or any alcohol. A charity box near the cash register is common, so that customers can donate to the local mosque or other Islamic charity. Some restaurants even offer a small prayer room, where guests can fulfill the religious requirement to pray five times a day. And many have segregated dining rooms, with one room for men only, and the other for women and families.

Safari's famous Ke'KeTom WallaceStar Tribune

Language is sometimes a barrier, and some restaurants don't offer a written menu. As one customer commented on a Somali Web site, "The problem with Somali restaurants is they set their targets as only Somali clients, and that is why they take for granted their customers would like whatever they dish out at them." And, frankly, by American standards, some Somali restaurants aren't very tidy; servers are sometimes unkempt, and dirty dishes don't always get cleared from tables very promptly.

But there are a few local Somali restaurants that stand above the crowd in terms of their food, service and effort to welcome non-Somali customers.

My favorite is Safari . Although owner Sade Hashi has only been in the U.S. since 1999, he speaks excellent English, and is very welcoming of non-Somali customers. Men and women dine together here, and Safari attracts many non-Somali customers, as well as younger, more assimilated young Somali men and women.

The menu offers a mix of traditional Somali dishes such as busketti (thin slices of steak with peppers and onions), chicken suqqar (thinly sliced boneless breast in a mild curry sauce); and roasted goat, as well as more innovative dishes. My favorites include the king fish, a moist, firm-fleshed fish fillet served over a rice pilaf with julienned carrots, zucchini and onions with a savory lemon butter sauce, and the ke'key , small chunks of beef, chicken or shrimp stir-fried with thick homemade noodles in a savory tomato and saffron sauce. A couple of vegetarian dishes are offered as well, including veggie delight, a medley of six vegetables in a coconut milk sauce, and jannalle , an oily but very tasty dish of eggplant, zucchini and other vegetables over saffron rice with an okra sauce.

Hamdi is more traditional, but also offers very tasty food and welcoming service. Best bets here include the grilled steak, roast goat, or chicken leg dinner, all served in generous portions. There's not much in the way of decor, but the center of attention in the men's dining room is a large-screen television, which was tuned to a sports channel the last time I visited.

Indian Ocean has the most attractive decor of any of the Somali restaurants I've visited, including red and white tablecloths (under a glass top), silk flowers and a fountain near the entrance. The menu consists mostly of traditional Somali and Arabic fare, including fried steak, lamb and chicken kabobs, and gyros. The owners are clearly trying to attract a broader clientele, but service isn't always up to par. One distinctive feature: two small rooms that can be reserved for dining, or for smoking a water pipe -- at least until March 31, when the Minneapolis smoking ban takes effect.

Hamdi, 818 E. Lake St., Minneapolis, 612-823-9660. Open 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. daily.

Indian Ocean , 1401 14th Av. S., Minneapolis. No listed phone number. Open Monday through Thursday 10 a.m. to midnight, Friday and Saturday 10 a.m. to 1 a.m., Sunday 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Safari, 1424 Nicollet Av., Minneapolis, 612-872-4604. Open 10:30 a.m. to midnight daily.

Xoogsade   

It would be great if Somali Restaurant owners read the papers so they become aware of articles like these which can serve them as a feedback. May be I should print this one out and give it to the owner of one restaurant so he can keep up the good work. I laughed when the writer said it is hard to keep track of how many restaurants exist since the numbers keep changing from one week to the other lool. What is happening to them? Lack of business? I am also glad there isn't any negative.

Anyway, saxib, Nice article, good to read a postive article about Somalis.

On which note i must Thank those hospitable ;) Minneapolan's for introducing me to the cuisine of Safari Resturant.

I believe i enjoyed Safari's pan-sauteed king fish on my first night, and Safari Chiken on my second visit.

Liqaye   

I believe i enjoyed Safari's pan-sauteed king fish on my first night, and Safari Chiken on my second visit.

Shujui...spoken like a true english man...pray tell what was that delicious stater you had, most fascinating was it not, piquant was the word you used to be precise actually :D:D

I might go on forever.

WD you racked up 608 posts scince april, while I have done similar scince OCT 2002.

TELL ME if I really just wanted to double post. :confused:

I'm glad that finally somali restaurant can get

the attention it really deserves.To be the first

African restaurant on Star Tribune, I guess it

will make a diffrence not only in the community

but also great introductory to others that somali

food is more than typical exotic Goat & Rice.

The Menu is quite impresive...

I'm just sad however,that my favorite dish haven't been mentioned...

The Chicken Fantasic dish, Anyone familiar?

raula   

^^^^I see you are back(you'll tell me all about it later dear-while I delightfully dine in the SHRIMP special ;):D )-glad the restuarant got the highlights it deserves.

DE ROSSI

On which note i must Thank those hospitable Minneapolan's for introducing me to the cuisine of Safari Resturant.

see the importance of hanging out with NATIVES icon_razz.gif the know the hottest spots in town-and while (DE ROSSI) you were fiddling w/your african king fish..I had 'killed' the shrimp dinner dang..its was delicious-so now you know who to recommend for "A NIGHT IN TOWN eh"..lool.

Wiilo   

Reer London knows about Safari Resturant huh,

well, good, maxaa idinka ma xayeesiinaysiin London Resturants.

Wabillaahi Towfiiq:

minidishuappolis guys: what ever happened to that KK dish that used to be served at safari rest....

KK dish(sabaayad with hilib or digaag or fish mixed together)it was niiiiice. i tell ya

Abaadir (the owner of safari) is one really nice guy...akhyaar

asxantu

Wiilo   

Waraa Shoobaro, inleen waxaa tahay dadka dacaska oga dhammaaday Minneapolis, waa ii dhuumatay.

Wabillaahi Towfiiq: