Sign in to follow this  
SayidSomal

Culture Clash or Is It?

Ibtisam   

I don't think being a different category will help us if the people/ facilities to help the kids are not available, it will exclude us from the current general help our kids get, but at the same time, that gap of who is going to help the Somali kids will still be there.

Categorisation generaly doesn;t help, but in the case of data driven british services. if the Somali children are not doing well. then it would show on data and such something will have to be done about it - bet it hiring the right people/facilities as you put it or looking to other barriers that might be hindering them.

NGONGE   

If Cabdi and his brothers/cousins have learned the idea of fighting in groups already, it sounds to me that Cabdi has no cultural problems. He's just a little, snivelling, trashy thug. Sounds to me like he would be a troublemaker in ANY place or setting.

(Good luck with such a mad job).

Fabregas   

he he, thanks for the laughs( though this was supposed to be serious topic).

the nose biting part reminded of this somali brother who once arranged a fight with an overgrown cadan boy in a local alleyway. it was A cold, wet winter day, and nobody was winning the fight. so the somali brother started to bite the cadan boy, like really hard all over his body. and every time the cadan was screaming like he had been stabbed with a knife. knowing the odds were against him, the cadan boy started to furiously scream for his friends to intervene: aaaaaaaaaaaac,aaaaaa aaaaaaac helpppppppppp, am gonna dieeeeeeeeeee. ( they didn't and he lost the fight) :D

my first days( i was 7) in primary school were not as violent as ibtisam( she must have been part of the burco mafia :D ). though I do remember fighting with the teacher and kicking her legs( she was disabled in one leg). And I did beat up the kids too. but, one day, i stupidly picked a fight with the biggest, fattest, Irish bully. All I remember about that fight was me being on the floor afterwards and he was standing.

:D

PS. i hope the kid doesn't hold hands with male associates like they do in somalia. horta, wth is that all about? :confused:

@marx, I always knew you was a sellout G. :D

Originally posted by NGONGE:

If Cabdi and his brothers/cousins have learned the idea of fighting in groups already, it sounds to me that Cabdi has no cultural problems. He's just a little, snivelling, trashy thug. Sounds to me like he would be a troublemaker in ANY place or setting.

(Good luck with such a mad job).

you wanna say that to his face - preferable in Somali :D:D

LOL - fabregas - you had an experience. you and Ibti both need to tame down a bit. to many fights are not good for your health.

Malika   

Originally posted by Sayid*Somal:

Malika - what happened to M? why did you let him down??

I came to find out M had serious issues,heavy baggage's he was carrying from where he had come from and only qualified psychiatry would have been able to help him..But this was all hidden from school,myself.The family he was living with,were no help at least if we knew the whole story about his back ground,perhaps today he would not be serving a sentence for attempt murder. I couldn't reach him,and they also moved town when things were getting to them..but that didn't help,he went to commit bigger crimes.

Have you noticed that families do not like to tell the whole truth,and only if they do it would save a lot of peoples time,and perhaps the young person could be given the appropriate support?

Lily,its not an easy job really,sometimes its like being caught up between two stones..

Sorry Malika, reading back my question - i realise i asked it in the wrong tone - i meant to say and HOW did you let him down

Have you noticed that families do not like to tell the whole truth,and only if they do it would save a lot of peoples time,and perhaps the young person could be given the appropriate support?

I noticed. comparable to Albanians, South Americans, Portuguese etc we don't say untill it is too late. but the youngesters trusted me enought to approach on many issues. it was the parents i had difficulties with.

one of my ex-pupils is serving life sentence of 30yrs now. :( very sad.

LOL@ Ngonge - 21st century Cigaal Shidaad - your motto should be "Geesi hooyadiis gablantay". :D